HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 08:28:28 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BATMAN vs SUPERMAN  (Read 28682 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 05:15:28 PM »

Hmmm.  Rotten Tomatoes gave this a 32% fresh.   Audience score is 78%.  Doesn't sound good.   Huh

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 03:48:26 AM »

come on!  who saw it?

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 02:52:09 PM »

seeing it latter today
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »

I saw it yesterday.  I liked it.  I will say it is about 30 minutes too long.  They could have cut out a lot of the setup and still had it make sense.  However, it is no where near as bad as the critics are saying.

I liked Eisenberg's villain but this is not Lex Luthor.  If I think of him as Lex, I hate it.  But if I think of it not as Lex, I like it.

Affleck, as much as I hate him as an actor, actually delivers a pretty decent Bruce Wayne.  I'm not 100% on him in the suit as Batman, but I'll give him credit where its due on Bruce Wayne.

There's a lot to pick apart in this movie.  But overall, I enjoyed it.  Especially once they finally started moving the pace after the party at Lex's house.

I'll give it a 7 out of 10 Bat Brandings

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 01:25:09 AM »

Not a bad movie.  Enjoyed Ben as the Bat & Bruce.  Supes certainly looked the part and love his flying machanics but wish is costume was brighter.  What we see of WW was fun and she seems to like a good brawl...I thinks she's the only one who smiles the whole movie. .  I just feel there is something missing from these films besides the sun😉 but still a decent film
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »

Haven't seen it yet. I have a 4 day old. My wife insists that I will go see it, but, well, lots of things have to occur at home for me to feel comfortable for an evening out to happen.

As Wringer states:

[q] I just feel there is something missing from these films....[/q]

I think most of us would feel that way, or especially felt that way after Man of Steel. What was missing?

I had a friend at the time sum it up this way: It's a pretty good movie as long as you don't think of that character as actually Superman.

and I'm like-damn-that's more or less true.

That film, and perhaps some of BvS (have to see it) seem to me to be any Marvel film before Marvel Studios and Iron Man. You had Blade-really good!; but you could do whatever you wanted with the lore due to it being blade. You had X-men-great! Sure, Mystique is dating Magneto, Toad is...whatever he is. You don't have the original 5 X-men at all, but you had some commercial success. why? You made big canon/story changes while still keeping with character essence.

I cannot see any character essence shared between Reeve/Superman and Cavill/Superman.

Another point I add is how Zach Snyder describes "his vision" of Superman. I've seen that word used alot in interviews-"his". Meaning this is Znyder's Superman, not ours. You know what you heard expressed by Whedon through 2 Avengers movies; with Joe Johnston and the Russo brothers in the 2 Cap movies? "Character History"

Snyder's work has no character history. It's his own fanfiction (lets be honest, it completely is). Now, that can work. It works amazingly so with Guardians of the Galaxy. Much of their histories are jumbled, created in a manner necessary for storytelling. The beats of Ant-man are correct, but they are sampled into a new song by a different rapper. But the essence remains the same.

I can't see my Superman-A Superman at all-in Man of Steel.

Snyder makes his moments-and what moments!! I loved to see Suckerpunch for the moments. But the story was damned stupid. And when the end of Suckerpunch bogged down into "story" the movie dovetailed into nonsense and garbage. But watching WW2 bombers piloted by hot stripper chicks shooting at dinosaurs or super robots at a monastery! Oh, F### yeah, I laughed and loved the visual!

But I've always known Snyder is all show and no tell. I was just fine with that in most cases. But, it really feel apart when confronted with Man of Steel.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »

Was actually gonna go tomorrow and see this. Yes, me in a theater (only for the Batman part I assure you  Wink) but now I am thinking I may just wait and catch it later. Maybe. Not sure yet.

I hear it isn't bad, and some really like it. However, most of the people I talk to at shops express their feelings to me with a cocked to the side head and a draw on the word bad -
"It's not baaaaaaaad ..."

Not a huge selling point either way  Cheesy Cheesy

I may break down and see it though, just for Wonder Woman  Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »

I saw it on Saturday.  It's a lot better than the critics are saying.  It is about 30 minutes too long with the setup but it ends with a bang.  I liked it.

Just pretend Lex Luthor is NOT Lex Luthor  (because he's not) and you will still enjoy it.  Good villain just not Lex.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 08:59:08 PM »

Its been out 2 weeks and I still haven't seen it.  Shocked

However, I believe the wife will be kicking me out this weekend to go see it.

I have a hope that this adult comic cinematic universe can grow, and thrive.

But I don't believe Zach Snyder should be the one at the helm of it. I just don't. Hell, the guys who make Fast & Furious movies would probably do a better job; they've stretched the thin veneer of a 'story' through 7 movies about car chases and stunts! Imagine if they had great material to work with!!

Just don't replace Snyder with McG, as was once rumored well before Man of Steel.

Jimmy T since 2001
krono0666
HR Vigilante

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 05:50:17 AM »

I didn't hate the film... but I didn't like it either.  If you had an enjoyment of Man Of Steel and the tone it set, then chances are, you'll enjoy this movie.  But me... I just didn't "like" it.  I didn't enjoy it.  There were no times that I felt a giddy sense of happiness that I should have gotten when the Trinity finally appeared on the screen.

Here's the thing, the movie is filled with great moments.  Taken as moments, they're fantastic.  Ben Affleck as Batman?  Great! Wonder Woman kicking ass?  Amazing!  The Batman warehouse fight?  Best Batman fight on film!

But when you take those moments and try to weave them into a narrative, it collapses.  There are so many story, plot, and character diffeciencies that I could not get past the problems.  Character motiviation is all over the place and, quite honestly, the creators have absolutely no idea what to do with Superman.  I wanted to love the movie... hell, I just wanted to like it.  But in the end, it's flaws just dragged me down.

"Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »

So what was your verdict, Jimbo?

I still have yet to see it, so if you could please let me know early in your reply so I can avoid the fear of spoilers ....  Grin Wink

It's getting too close to Cap now (and I can't force myself into a theater twice in 30 days, ya know  Cheesy), so I am just gonna wait on this as I just have heard some very apathetic opinions. 

However, I've been rapidly skimming all the comments here and so far, everyone has done a great job of keeping most "in movie actions" quiet if not behind spoiler tags. Good job, by the way, guys!!!!!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 02:45:10 PM »

Honestly, there's a pretty big spoiler that I can't believe hasn't leaked out.  I'm not sure how long it will keep so I'd recommend going to see it as soon as you can.  I think this spoiler would ruin someone from being able to enjoy to it...

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »

Smiley
Thanks for the warning, my man  Cool

I don't know, I just hate the theater so much, I mean like

Hate X a lot˛ to the power of ∞

and one thing I hate more than that is coming out of a theater less than happy. And I just hear not so great things from at least 3 people that share my ... kinda taste and thoughts most of the time. This movie just scares me and I think maybe because, unlike Jimmy (who remained calm about its prospects for most of the time) I really put it up as a "This just looks too good to be even slightly bad" and ... well ... yeah

Embarrassed Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 09:47:13 PM »

Baby T was up late yesterday with lots of visits, so he was up 3 times over night, and with other visits today, I couldn't make it out to see the movie again today.

Nertz....next weekend maybe...or if the wife says "GO!" on the $5 night....

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 02:24:50 AM »

Smiley
Thanks for the warning, my man  Cool

I don't know, I just hate the theater so much, I mean like

Hate X a lot˛ to the power of ∞

and one thing I hate more than that is coming out of a theater less than happy. And I just hear not so great things from at least 3 people that share my ... kinda taste and thoughts most of the time. This movie just scares me and I think maybe because, unlike Jimmy (who remained calm about its prospects for most of the time) I really put it up as a "This just looks too good to be even slightly bad" and ... well ... yeah

Embarrassed Undecided

Oh wow yeah - keep the expectations low and it will exceed them. I actually want to see it again to see if that slow build up is any better now that I know how it ends.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS