HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:54:21 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DAREDEVIL  (Read 9052 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: April 15, 2015, 02:40:29 AM »

Yes, inspired by the show and the fact that I WANT TO REREAD ALL MY MILLER DD. However, since moving....all my bookshelf trades are in boxes...in a closet. Sad day, I know. I weep for myself.

However...man...it's about time to reread that stuff. That I have to hit up about every 2-3 years (not as often as my Black Panther and Captain Marvel (PAD) runs, but it's up there).

I love that work sooo much. Even with the return of Miller as  FILL-IN with 'Born Again' or the inspired work of 'Man Without Fear' with JRJr. by the by, found this on wiki about 'Born Again'

""Born Again" makes heavy use of Christian symbolism, primarily from Roman Catholicism (though the title itself refers to a Protestant concept). While the story is set during the Christmas season, it follows Easter themes almost exclusively.

The splash pages of the first four chapters all show Matt Murdock lying down. In chapters 2 and 3 he is in a fetal position, followed by him assuming the pose of the crucified Jesus Christ in chapter 4.[2] The splash page of chapter 5 shows him standing, representative of the risen Jesus. In chapter 3, his wandering through Hell's Kitchen parallels Jesus's walk to Golgatha, including the three falls represented in the Stations of the Cross, before culminating in the image of the Pietà.[2] Sister Maggie takes the role of the Virgin Mary both there and on the cover of the graphic novel, on which a dove (traditionally used in Christian artwork to represent the Holy Spirit) is posed above her. All the chapter titles, excluding those of the story arc in #232-233, are names of Christian concepts."

Um...holy crap. Yeah, I could never be a comic writer. Or, well, a writer, I guess since I wouldn't ever approach something as layered and thought out as this.

What's your love with Hornhead's comics? I am enjoying Waid's work,but I believe his finished with his run come Secret Wars, then after that, who knows? I won't lie when I say that 'Shadowland' still makes me spit nails with what they did to the character and then later tried to sweep under the rug. Not quite One More Day, but damned near close enough for me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 01:17:59 PM »

Yes, inspired by the show and the fact that I WANT TO REREAD ALL MY MILLER DD. However, since moving....all my bookshelf trades are in boxes...in a closet. Sad day, I know. I weep for myself.

However...man...it's about time to reread that stuff. That I have to hit up about every 2-3 years (not as often as my Black Panther and Captain Marvel (PAD) runs, but it's up there).

I can re-read me some Peter David  Grin But I haven't read Millers first run in a long, long time. To be honest, I don't think I have read it since it first came out, aside from skimming through an issue or two. Been really scared to go back as his current stuff is so, well, I'll say it, bad. Not that his initail run on DD was bad  Cheesy Hell no. But I am kinda worried about it holding up dialog wise. I know structure wise (both art and plot) will still be great, but I am just worried what I loved about his dialog then (being all of 13 or 14 when he started and about 15 or 16 when it got really into it), I may not enjoy as much now that I am older. I mean, I am scared he was writing like he is now, even back then, back in the very early 80s and I was just too young (immature) to notice his style.
 Undecided

love that work sooo much. Even with the return of Miller as  FILL-IN with 'Born Again' or the inspired work of 'Man Without Fear' with JRJr.

I did just read the Born Again mini prior to watching the show, just for the black mask alone.  Cheesy

I will say that it still held up pretty decently, even though it was right about the time when J.R.Jr. was starting to experiment with his own style and getting further away from the style I enjoyed (looking similar but still different than his father). But he had to go and "grow" as an artist! Bah ... but I digress.
 Grin

Born Again though, I do need to re-read now. But again, that fear of older Miller. Even though the mini was great, I still have that fear.

So, does his stuff hold up, Jimmy? I guess that is the question I should have led with.
 Grin

What's your love with Hornhead's comics? I am enjoying Waid's work,but I believe his finished with his run come Secret Wars, then after that, who knows?

I grabbed my first DD comic when I was around 6 from an old neighbor guy (a kid going away to college Cheesy) as he was selling his stuff at a yard sale. I had no money, I just walked across the street to see what was going on, but his mom made him give me one once she noticed how interested I was in them.  Cheesy It was a torn to hell copy, but I loved it. I wish I could remember the issue now, but I know it had Black Widow as a title-share. I want to say issue #98, but I don't know.

I was off and on the title after that. As a kid I only had so much allowance and most of that went to Amazing Spidey, FF, the Avengers, Defenders and Marvel Team-up (I thought I could get more hero action if I bought comics that featured more heroes  Grin) but occasionally I grabbed an issue or two.

Miller really pulled me in later. Really grabbed me. And after he left ... eh ... I still bought for awhile, but nothing really hit unit ... well, when Miller returned  Grin, but then it fell off for me again and after a couple issues I thought I was done with DD, but then came the duo of Ann Nocenti and J.R.Jr. (Now THAT is a run I have to go back and read. I am not close to being an Ann Nocenti fan now, so I really need to go back and see if the medium just past her by or was I an such a space where I needed/enjoyed her writing).

Around 290 I was out again. I stayed out mainly because the 90's ... happened  Cheesy, but I had really just lost my desire to read the character anyway.

I was gone until one day a friend I have known for a while asked me how I was liking Bendis' run on DD and I answered that I haven't read it. He bashed me. He punched and kicked   Wink (honestly he did call me a dumb-ass  Cheesy) and THAT is when I came back for good. Well, until I just recently dropped Waids run.
 Grin

Man, sorry Jimmy, I know this is a hell of a lot more than you wanted, or I intended, but I guess I was in a chatty mood.
Sorry.

I won't lie when I say that 'Shadowland' still makes me spit nails with what they did to the character and then later tried to sweep under the rug. Not quite One More Day, but damned near close enough for me.

I won't lie and I'll say I am with you 101%.
I was able to sweep it under the rug quite rapidly.  Grin
In fact, what is this Shadowma ... Shadowland you speak of?
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 02:50:42 AM »

Man, sorry Jimmy, I know this is a hell of a lot more than you wanted, or I intended, but I guess I was in a chatty mood.
Sorry.

Hells no! This is great! This is what I wanted!!

So, does his stuff hold up, Jimmy? I guess that is the question I should have led with.

Ya know? I think it does. So, volume 1, yeah very much an 80's comic of "I must reach..or I may fall ..to my DOOM." kind of shtick. But once Miller really gets going, oh man, watching Gladiator's psychosis, or the famous 'Roulette' issue of DD talking to a paralyzed Bullseye (or even the knock down, drag out issues leading up to that), man, I find that all gold. *

* I say this with the caveat that I haven't read it in 4-5 years, but..I can remember the early stuff being a little goofy as he slowly transitions into the great stuff that is the middle and beginning of the end of the run. I have this imagery in my head that once Elektra died (SPOILERS SORRY Wink  ), that it was only so so after that.

Now Ann Nocenti...I only have a little of her work, mostly centered around her Typhoid Mary arc, and I think some bag centennial/big number issue? I'd have to check.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 09:58:42 PM »

What was ever any one's interpretation of Matt's "vision"?

I know with his amped abilities, he can all but basically "see." He can know depth, distance, movement, items in space, with so much more acuity than a normal human.

But I like to believe that there is still such a 'blindness' to him. If I had to write it, I'd emphasis that no, he doesn't know color anymore (not that any writer does, but I'd really hammer that home. That he lives in a world without gradations of tone or hue.)

Since eyesight vision is based on light and how it travels, absorbs, and is redirected by objects, yes, Matt's world is a world of darkness. He can just 'see' darkness. Wink

I bring this up, because I think my view differs from the netflix show. I don't think Matt can 'see' a person's reaction, or true shape of a face. OH, he has ways to interpret it, but not the way all of us do.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:46:44 AM »

I liked the way Netflix verbally communicated his sight (each and every person or thing gives of a "radiation" or whatever) but didn't like the "fiery" way that idea was translated to film.

I have always loved the (((0))) look to his "Radar" like vision from the 70's and I wish I could find a good picture of it, but I can't, but I think you know what I mean. There is a perfect picture of it in a panel in Marvel Team-Up #51. But I have also really admired the work more recently by Rivera ... I think, that looks more like Sonar like than Radar, like HERE but all in all, yeah, along that line where the line is the source of sight.

But I get why they wanted to avoid the "radar" type vision.

But again, we are talking about a guy whose other senses are so heightened that he can read a normal book by feeling the ink, so yeah, maybe he no tell expressions so well?
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 02:55:32 PM »

DAREDEVIL #1

Sweet Christmas, as Luke Cage would say, this was a grand first issue.

First off the art by Garney, in all it's sketchy glory, looked so damn nice in this book. Another perfect example of art and writing melding together to bring forth a great comic. But beyond the art, there is the coloring. Holy Moly Bat-Devil this was fantastic. Not only did the art fit the tone of the story (as DD is now back to being less bubbly) it shown through just as crucial as the pencils themselves. Not since Jordie Bellairre on Moon Knight has a colorist hit me so right out of the box, but Matt Milla does it here. And the great thing about the coloring ... it is so simple. I mean that not as a bash that he is lazy or anything, I mean he works his ass of to show us a simple yet perfect fit choice of coloring for this book, this tone, this artist. Just take a look at the preview HERE if you haven't seen it already. Just ... simple perfection.

As for the writing, Soule does ... well, this is right in Soules wheelhouse right? He is a lawyer. Why wouldn't he be on this book? And not only does he fit the title due to his similar occupation of Matt, he does some of his best writing here as well.

Look, I love me some Inhumans (though most people are still scratching their head "why?" when I tell them that), but over at the Inhumans title(s), especially early on in the first 5 to 8 issues, Soule was ... let's just say choppy. Much like my writing now  Grin, his writing was clunky and lacked flow and rythm many times and that hurt the enjoyment of the book, and the Inhumans in general for a time I feel, but here the writing flows like water. The dialog is crisp, tight even if the story itself is somewhat typical "hero fare".

Okay spoiler time. Some may already be known, but just in-case ... BEWARE ....

The biggest change in this book, other than the costume that I did NOT like, until I read the book and it grew on me very quickly, is the fact that Matt is now a ADA. Yep, a good ole assistant district attorney. He is a prosecutor now. No longer fighting for the little guy, he is now sending the boys up the river to get new boyfriends.

But wait, is that the biggest difference ... no ... I think that we are seeing our first post Secret War "washing". The first biog change from SW is here. Matt is no longer known as Daredevil to anyone but Foggy. And Foggy is not happy about it. In fact, Foggy may be a lot different here. He is really short with Matt for ... something ... and I hope that frustration plays out more. In this case, it is just more natural than having a "yes man". But yeah, somewhere, somehow, Matt made a deal that no-one knows about his love of wearing red, so I can't wait to see what happened there. It had to be done, this reset, but I am interested in how he (they) did it.

I also enjoyed the addition of this new "sidekick". We don't "see"  Wink a ton of him. hardly at all, but I think he will be a nice addition to this book.

Overall I am very happy with this new title. Looking forward to more!!!!

9 outta 10 elevator shafts
 Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 11:35:40 PM »

Daredevil 17

What a great issue!  Charles Soule is doing a great job on this series.  The ending cliff  hanger surprised me and really got me excited about this arc.  Can't wait for issue 18 to hit Unlimited.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 12:03:09 AM »

Well, sadly, after you see the art, that Marvel says is not important, coming up around issue #24 or so, you will be longing for these issues.
What a waste.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 02:56:11 AM »

Well, sadly, after you see the art, that Marvel says is not important, coming up around issue #24 or so, you will be longing for these issues.
What a waste.

Ouch! 😮

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 01:34:09 AM »

Daredevil 17

What a great issue!  Charles Soule is doing a great job on this series.  The ending cliff  hanger surprised me and really got me excited about this arc.  Can't wait for issue 18 to hit Unlimited.

Good stuff, is what I say, too.

Not looking forward to when the art takes a dump, though.  Undecided

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS