HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 11:23:54 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: lesson for the day  (Read 4478 times)
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« on: April 08, 2015, 02:59:42 PM »

Thanks god for cardboard and mylar

about a month ago my water heater decided to give up the ghost and start pouring water onto the floor in the closet that houses it (approx 10x10 room connected to the garage).  unfortunately that is also where i keep a majority of my collection.  so you can image the feeling running through me as i was getting ready to leave for works to see water pouring out from under the door.

luckily these are cannon fodder that i've been selling at conventions etc as i keep my good books in the house.  Either way i was bailing water waiting for the repair guy but there was really nothing i could do.  I'm talking 20+ boxes with the bottom 7 sucking up water.

needless to say that was a tough day to get through.  by the time i finally got home the damage was done and i was too tired/depressed to even look deeper.

the next day i finally found the courage to examine the damage and start pulling boxes out of the room.  all the top boxes were fine, not even damp along with some other personal stuff and a ton of Marvel Legend figures so that was a relief.  but the bottom boxes were soaked...so much so i could barely life them without the box falling apart in my hands.

but to my amazement...that was the extend of the damage....ruined long boxes...the books inside were fine (except the 1 box that had unbagged books)  there was surprising little moisture on the books themselves as i pulled them from the boxes...again i was shocked.  the cardboard on these boxes was so absorbant it actually kept most of the water in the cardboard and away for the books.  While these books are not on my keep list it still hurt to think of them as ruined and i was shocked and overjoyed to see they were not.  luckily i had a few extra boxes from the last con so i transfered what i could and pulled the rest in order to let the boxes dry out.

A day or so later everything was reloaded and put back into the closet...although this time i bought a storage shelf that i laid on the floor as a platform to keep the boxes off the ground and give them 2-3 inches riser.

so...Lesson of the day...keep your books bagged and boxed and off the floor or at least not in the same room as you water heater.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »

Ha, good story, my man. However ...

so...Lesson of the day...keep your books bagged and boxed and off the floor or at least not in the same room as you water heater.

As you may have seen, we have been discussing collecting here lately and at least in my perspective the lesson of the day would be to get rid of all those boxes so you never have to worry about them in the first place.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 08:40:28 PM »

Wow!  Glad to hear they are safe, Wringer.  I would have had a heart attack for sure.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 11:16:36 PM »

my wife would have killed me because I would have been moving boxes while water poured into the house.  Grin

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:26:35 PM »

Ha, good story, my man. However ...

As you may have seen, we have been discussing collecting here lately and at least in my perspective the lesson of the day would be to get rid of all those boxes so you never have to worry about them in the first place.
 Cheesy Cheesy

agreed as i am trying to get rid of them but would much rather they be safe and dry and in the hands of someone who wants to read/collect that a big soggy mess at the bottom of the trash barrel.
 Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:12:32 AM »

my wife would have killed me because I would have been moving boxes while water poured into the house.  Grin

SAME!

What a...harsh lesson! For sure, it's a good thing to keep all that separate too!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »

... would much rather they be safe and dry and in the hands of someone who wants to read/collect that a big soggy mess at the bottom of the trash barrel.
 Wink

Grin

Grin
Yep, it's those priorities you have to think of first 

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS