HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:36:41 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: June Pre-Orders: Whatcha Gettin'?  (Read 26487 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 17, 2015, 07:32:28 PM »

Pretty darn easy this time around for me. Marvel being on their Secret Wars kick and DC doing their Convergence. Luckily I finally get Batman back, but it is gonna be another slim month for this kid
 Wink

BATMAN #41
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1 ... maaaaaybe
JUSTICE LEAGUE #41 .... maaaaaybe this one too  Cheesy

PRINCESS LEIA #5
STAR WARS #6
DARTH VADER #6
DARTH VADER #7
KANAN: THE LAST PADAWAN #3

If I don't end up getting those JLA books, I better get me at least a trade or I will be paying $6.95 shipping for just 6 damn books.
 Cheesy

EDIT - of course even still, I would be saving almost $3 off cover price if I did just do the six books
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:37:09 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 08:07:13 PM »

Wow!  That's early.  Where did you find the previews?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »

Ah - found it on CBR.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 09:12:49 PM »

Oh, sorry about that  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »

No Image books?

I thought for sure you would get that James Robinson Airboy mini.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »

No Image books?

I thought for sure you would get that James Robinson Airboy mini.

Nope. As I am killing ... trying to kill my floppy pull,  Grin I am no longer even trying Image books, no longer giving them a one or two issue preview to see if I want them in collected format. I will just get them in collected format when they hit.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 05:17:40 PM »

I don't know why; I'm nothing BUT leery and wary of Secret War. Probably because I'm not buying much of Marvel, but there is only one thing I'm going for:

Spider-man: Renew Your Vows 1 & 2.
(that's it for Marvel!!)

DC Comics
Bat-mite
Bizarro
Justice League 3001
Prez
Aquaman
Deathstroke
Flash
Green Arrow
Action Comics
Superman Sinestro
Archers Quest Deluxe HC

(maybes)
Green Lantern
GL: Lost Army
Starfire

I also reserve recourse to pick up any others that look good in my comic shop. For this moment right now, I'm more than willing to give some of the other random titles a try. I'm curious of all the Harley Quinn press, and for that, I think I'll try Starfire.

I know I wish to pick up Pak's last two Batman/Superman trades (for the 'Superman's Joker' story).

Valiant...I wish I knew about that company. It seems it's continually reinventing its line with some coming together event or new #1. Seeing as how I know nothing of the company beyond some cool names (Ninjak!), I really never know when or where to begin with them.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 12:30:57 PM »

I didn't know anything about them either but was hooked eay on with Harbinger and X-O.  The crossovers aren't reinventing but actually just naturally moving the universe forward. Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, and Ivar are all brothers but lives went different ways after they're origin. Some rich weaving of the characters.  You would probably love Harbinger and shoul grab the first trades.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 02:01:21 PM »

I know Harbringer has intrigued me from a distance. I've enjoyed the Eternal Warrior that I've read. I'm intrigued on the 3 brothers aspect, so I guess that's why I keep going back to try them.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »

Sadly Valiant just hasn't garnered enough attention from actual buyers and they have had to change their game plan in order to try and stay around.
 Undecided

Everyone that reads their stuff, me included for awhile, can only issue praise for the quality and enjoyment of all the books, but it is just not translating into the sales it should. They are now going the mini-series route as the main titles just couldn't maintain enough sales.

I really enjoyed Harbinger and still plan on getting the deluxe HC of that once I get the chance and X-O was a fantastic series but just started too slow to grab the general audience. Those that stayed really loved the product it became.

I will continue to recommend Valiant comics as they are nothing but good comics from a good company, but as a guy that just "flips" his comics, the resell value is just not there as the demand is also just not there, sadly.

No offense to IDW, Dark Horse or Boom (maybe to Dynamite  Tongue) but Valiant should be way ahead of all thses guys in sales and they are not. Just sucks.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »

Finally went threw and took a look at June.  Here's what I think I'll be ordering once DCBS opens up.

DC COMICS   
Batman 41    - Not sure I want to pick up this "New" Batman.  Might be dropping.
Grayson 9    

IMAGE COMICS   
Black Science 15    
Chrononauts 4    
Copperhead 8    
Descender 4    
Fade Out 8    
Invisible Republic 4    
Jupiters Circle 3    
Low 7    
Morning Glories 48    
Nameless 5    
Southern Bastards  9    
Walking Dead 142    
Walking Dead 143    

MARVEL COMICS   
Princess Leia 5    
Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows 1    - Considering this but haven't decided for sure yet.
Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows 2    - Considering this but haven't decided for sure yet.
Old Man Logan 2    

VALIANT COMICS   
Ivar Timewalker 6    
Ninjak 4    

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 01:39:16 AM »

So no Darth Vader?

I know you are not a fan of the writer, usually, but you have to admit he has been killing it here, my man.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 01:43:04 AM »

I don't know why; I'm nothing BUT leery and wary of Secret War. Probably because I'm not buying much of Marvel ...

Just really "saw" this.

Come on, Jimmy, you can't use that as an excuse when almost all of the books Marvel will be putting out are in relation to some of the great stories of the past. Peter David returning for Future Imperfect plus tons more.

Don't get me wrong, I am not buying them yet, but still ...  Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 04:32:08 AM »

Perry, I replied to you when your post count was 7734. That's HELL on a calculator! Why you giving it to me?

HA! j/k  Grin

I don't know why I'm leery...well,okay I know why. I haven't enjoyed a ton of Marvel big event books and tie-overs either. For my own imaginative self, I usually enjoy DC's crossovers. Or, I have in the past.

For my penny, depending on the artist, I could maybe convince myself to look at Future Imperfect. I have said I'm going to get Renew Your Vows with Spider-man, although with Slott writing, I'm just gonna get hella pissed. I just know it...but I'm going to try it.

I gotta keep an eye on it, just to keep an eye on it. However, I've followed facebook threads, posts on the news sites, and there are plenty of retailers wondering what the hell is going on with Marvel's Secret Wars, and they have no idea how to order it. At least with convergence, they know it's a 2 month stunt, but people are really backing away and dropping from the Big Two in a hurry with stuff (all anecdotally, as this only comes from the retailers who post their complaints).

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »

Perry, I replied to you when your post count was 7734. That's HELL on a calculator! Why you giving it to me?

Cheesy Didn't even notice th.... I mean. DAMN YOU TO HELL, DC BOY!!!!!!!

Cheesy

I don't know why I'm leery...well,okay I know why. I haven't enjoyed a ton of Marvel big event books and tie-overs either. For my own imaginative self, I usually enjoy DC's crossovers. Or, I have in the past.

Wel these are not really crossovers. They are almost just like the DC books. A new rendition of a past story or a chance to see what would have happened "IF" or a look at how something ended that didn't truly end when it was first published.

Or, a totally new take on things like A-Force, the all female Avengers team.

I don't know if they are going to have any title crossover with another ... but hell this thing is so convoluted who the hell knows?

For my penny, depending on the artist, I could maybe convince myself to look at Future Imperfect. I have said I'm going to get Renew Your Vows with Spider-man, although with Slott writing, I'm just gonna get hella pissed. I just know it...but I'm going to try it.

Yep, Slott is either gonna make you feel like you got more for your money or he will make you feel like you wasted it all.  Cheesy

I gotta keep an eye on it, just to keep an eye on it. However, I've followed facebook threads, posts on the news sites, and there are plenty of retailers wondering what the hell is going on with Marvel's Secret Wars, and they have no idea how to order it. At least with convergence, they know it's a 2 month stunt, but people are really backing away and dropping from the Big Two in a hurry with stuff (all anecdotally, as this only comes from the retailers who post their complaints).

Totally agree with those retailers and you. Regardless of how cool, deep, simple, grand, fun or hated this turns out to be in the end, Marvel has done an absolute shitty job with this ... thing.

Just like you stated, Convergence is a very simple thing to understand. It is a two month, two issue "kinda event" that is just a shot to see how the comics or characters that you use to love find disclosure or two issues of just fun "what if" stuff. After the two months things return to normal ... well, not really, looks like DC is instead changing shit right after this and I don't think I am a fan of what they are doing. See Superman, WW and Bats for example.

However, DC's event (for lack of a better word ... or their two month stall thing?  Cheesy) is grasped by all. It is understood what is going on. With Marvel ... no-one but them know what the hell is truly going on. And maybe they don't even know. I know that Secret Wars is 8 issues. Now it looks like they are going to ship two issues a month. So do all these new titles only last for four months? And I see they are canceling books like The All New Captain America. Obviously to restart after this is all over, and with a shiny new number 1 on the cover.

What they are trying to sell us is ... if we buy say Inhumans, that Inhuman: Attilan Rising title is what you would buy. If you normally buy Thor, that THORS title is what you would buy or if you buy Captain Marvel, that Carol Corps title is what you would buy.
But then you also have "Oh what the fuck. Why not?" titles like Aaron's Weirdworld or Where Monsters Dwell.

And then you also have a lot of those titles that are like what DC is doing ... just revisiting or twisting older titles or characters that fans love. Titles like Future Imperfect, Armor Wars, Squadron Sinister or X-Tinction Agenda (written by the great, wonderful Guggenheim  Roll Eyes ...  Cheesy)

I mean, most of it sounds really, really cool. I, and many others, just don't understand how it all works? It is just too confusing.

That said ... after it is all done ... I will be trying to read quite a lot of these books  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS