HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:37:04 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is DC trying to get me to drop comics?  (Read 14411 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: March 12, 2015, 04:59:25 PM »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-debuts-new-costumes-for-superman-wonder-woman

New Wonder Woman And Superman looks.

First impression? NOPE.

Will let that sink a bit.

I actually don't mind the S look at all, and it's not that I think the T-shirt will last, but I hated it too when Conner Superboy had that look. So...dumb.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »

I'm right with ya here, buddy. How is Clark gonna hide now? He gets a buzz cut the same time Superman does? And what the hell is with the Superboy outift? I mean, I get the jeans look with Morrisons "early years" stories, but ...

Oh well, will just be around for a limited time anyway and maybe you can get some interesting stories out of it in the meantime.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 08:12:58 PM »

How many times are they going to keep trying this?  NO ONE WANTS NEW UNIFORMS FOR THESE TWO.  There's a reason they call them "iconic".  They should start putting up odds in Vegas for when they go back to the original costumes.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:07:55 PM »

I agree ... about Supes ... or at least to the point I think he should stay the same but still lose the red undies, but there is no reason for Wonder Woman to still be "fighting crime" in a freaking bathing suit.

It is just like Captain Marvel. Her old look ... well, I loved it damn it, but it also made no sense. Even less sense than WW's actually as Carol had a bathing suit AND thigh-high boots.
 Cheesy

I still see nothing wrong with a pantsed (?) Diana, especially when she can still have her bustier (as long as the eagle curves over to prevent the flop-out  Cheesy)   

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:35:48 AM »

and that's what I want too.

Put her in pants. Nothing is lost! Women are damned sexy in amazing pants! But thigh high boots? Really? Hell, I'd be fine with the bustier having straps over the shoulder. Imagine straps that flare like eagle wings? Tha'd be cool!

Apparently J. Scott Campbell was ripping on this lame design. That outta tell ya something.

And oh, Perry? There's something about the future solicit for 'Superman'-Clark is standing in burned out clothes with his Super suit undertneath, and the tease caption is 'The secret's out!'

We will see, we will see...

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:51:50 AM »

I have to disagree on WW in pants.  It looks stupid IMO.

I like her in the battle/roman skirt.  I can compromise with that look.  But pants - yech

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »

I have to disagree on WW in pants.  It looks stupid IMO.

I like her in the battle/roman skirt.  I can compromise with that look.  But pants - yech

Cheesy

Something about Diana's legs that does it for you, huh?  Wink

Do you feel the same about other female characters that wear pants or is it just Wonder Woman?

Reminds me of the old debate - Should the guys share the bare legs demand? Grin

EDIT -
Put her in pants. Nothing is lost! Women are damned sexy in amazing pants! But thigh high boots? Really? Hell, I'd be fine with the bustier having straps over the shoulder. Imagine straps that flare like eagle wings? Tha'd be cool!

Would be very interested in seeing that.  Smiley

Apparently J. Scott Campbell was ripping on this lame design. That outta tell ya something.

Yeah, saw his posts. And yes, that tells ya all ya need to know  Grin (No offense to our boy Jeff of course)

And oh, Perry? There's something about the future solicit for 'Superman'-Clark is standing in burned out clothes with his Super suit undertneath, and the tease caption is 'The secret's out!'

We will see, we will see...

Ummm .... hmmmm ... so ... Well once that genie is out of the bottle, gonna be interesting to see how they work him back in. I can't see that proposal lasting too long. But, hey, maybe, as I have always thought the "disguise" that Superman uses, while amazing in the comicbook way that makes comics fun, was just frustratingly too damn obvious
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:52:18 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 04:15:49 PM »

What makes me laugh is that they usually say they are doing this to not be sexist yet all the women I know that have an opinion on the costume want the classic Linda Carter costume.  They think it s dumb to change it.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »

What makes me laugh is that they usually say they are doing this to not be sexist yet all the women I know that have an opinion on the costume want the classic Linda Carter costume.  They think it s dumb to change it.

1) Are these women comic readers or just women that know 'of' Wonder Woman
2) Would these same women dress that way at a Con
3) Would these women want their daughter dressing that way at a Con
4) Would you want YOUR daughter dressing that way at a Con  Wink

And seriously and not being combative, just wondering, do you feel the same about other female characters that wear pants? Should they not (IE Captain Marvel's new look)

And by the way, I have no issues with the skirt or the 'showing of skin' but the issue is that Wonder Woman is THE female character for a company and there are tons of little girls that can't 'pretend' to be her or dress like her because of the bathing suit aspect. Why would you (being a company, not 'you' as in Jeff  Cheesy) ... why would you want to limit the amount of females that can/will/want to dress/promote your character, when just a simple change can solve the issue.

Look at how many women, and more importantly; girls are dressing as Carol Danvers now (a companies "B" list character) compared to those dressing as Wonder Woman (a companies most recognizable female character)

Again, the leather skirt is not bad, and if done correctly could really tie in the Amazon aspect as well as the strength of the character, but that riding up the ass bathing suit has to go.
 Wink

Hell, just look at Cambell's rendition. It looks really good for a comic (although he being him still has to show as much damn skin as possible  Roll Eyes) but would you want your little girl to dress THIS way? Isn't this just as bad as the Power Woman boob window? (Which I also like in the comics  Cheesy)

I mean lower that skirt a little ... no, a little more ... keep going ... okay, there!  Grin And at least put some damn straps on that damn bustier to make it not look like she was shopping at Fredericks and I think there is something here. Because right now, there isn't too much difference from this ...

and this ...

or is this a better comparison?
 Grin

EDIT -
And once again I look back at this and ... I just want to make sure you know, Jeff, that I am not bashing you for your opinion. I think we are not that far apart in our thinking and I am scared I went a little too "Perry" with my comments.
 Cheesy
Please know that I am not knocking you for what you think or feel, again, I like the Boob Window  Cheesy Cheesy but more curious to what you think, not WHY you think it.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:05:27 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »

Lets not forget (although, maybe you did, I don't know what you thought of the show), we had this once upon a time:

An armor looking bustier, with straps, leather plait skirting. I think it's a good look. I mean, the Gal Gadot WW shot is more of an armor bustier look (sans straps), and it still says ass-kicking female here.

What Finch's design is, is just stupid to me. Cover the legs up with pants, fine go for it. But with thigh-high boots? and a non-functional skirt (which, whatever, all of Jim Lee's costume designs for New52 were stupid)?

It's at this point where I think DC needs to ask Marvel what they're doing, since they've redesigned X uniforms forever, and seem to come up with more than a few good ones every once in a while. 

Then again, WW's bustier has been most portrayed as an armor piece since Kingdom Come. Before that? Honestly, mostly just part of the cloth material of her bustier, unless she did bust out some armor set pieces (which did happen way back Perez's reboot as well).

So, either make it all cloth/clothing material, and marry it to a uniform ala Captain Marvel (*but her helmet & hair still look stupid), or make a second pure armor set.

But this look of "North Pompeii High School Marching Band" uniform is already on my poop list.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »

Also, along with that; you guys see Flash's redesign-now with MORE lightning lines!

At least Green Arrow is sans the stupid Hawkeye goggles and is back in a domino mask. Now Listen, I know they don't hide a secret identity, but this is comics, and there has to be some creative license with design attractiveness!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »

A) Yes, Xena's outfit is a perfect example of the strap and skirt and how it can work.
B) Yes, I did forget about her  Cheesy
C) I have not see the Flash's new costume and I am now scared  Embarrassed
D) Why I am listing things in this manner, in this thread?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 10:34:33 PM »

4) Would you want YOUR daughter dressing that way at a Con  Wink

She's 8 dude.  There a lot of full bodied costumes I wouldn't let her wear.   Cheesy Cheesy

The Xena look is what I'm cool with.  The original WW had a skirt so I'm not bothered by that change.  It's the classic look I want to keep.  These "pant" looks are always too drastic.

Have you been to a comic con lately?  There is always a plethora of women dressed as WW (whether they should be or not   Grin  )

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 01:22:17 AM »

Have you been to a comic con lately?  There is always a plethora of women dressed as WW (whether they should be or not   Grin  )

Its the dudes dressed as WW that make me worry.  Shocked

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 04:43:31 AM »

Its the dudes dressed as WW that make me worry.  Shocked

Oh man - you are soooo right on that one!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS