HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:18:24 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SECRET WARS & THE FUTURE  (Read 34608 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: February 06, 2015, 04:33:33 PM »

For better Marvel readers than I, what are you honest impressions? Everything changes, everything is different, nothing will be the same-

-how do you feel about this? Excited? Pure sales ploy? Silly for Marvel? IT's a 'they won't call it a reboot' reboot?

I'm not casting stones at it. I know that I'm not buying anything from it, and will simply watch where the chips will fall after it's done and the dust settles.

Not saying I don't have faith in it, but Marvel has yet to show me a reason in the last 6 years to buy any maxi-series of theirs. But, will they give me something more to look forward to when it's done?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:35:47 PM »

Smiley
Okay, breaking this down and answering some questions (even though Jimmy has still not answered the one I had on the 5 armies  Tongue  Wink Grin)

For better Marvel readers than I, what are you honest impressions? Everything changes, everything is different, nothing will be the same-

I think it is hardly anything drastic. They are combining all their universes into one. We will now have Miles in the same Universe as Peter. We may also get the Captain America from the same Ultimate universe so we can have, for a little while at least, a young Cap again. A young white Cap I mean (or as Nomad because of what just happened in Cap's title). We may get a couple 2099 characters. We will get a better inclusion of the New Universe characters already flying around the 616 anyway, and perhaps some other fringe characters they can pull in from other branches of the Marvel umbrella (Like CrossGen or if there are any Epic characters they own). Other than that, I don't see the big deal.

This is NOT going to be like DC's 52. It may resemble DC's Crisis, in so far they are sucking up other universes, and there may be slight changes, but I think that is all it will be when it is said and done. (except for maybe the mutant titles. Something there may ... MAY just change as Marvel is really pushing the Inhumans)

But heck, maybe I am wrong, but I just don't think we will have too much lasting change here with this. I just think this is going to be just like Secret Wars but with a bunch of "convergent" like titles. A few "WHAT IF"s, a few mini series based on some of Marvel's greatest historical events and then BAM!, back to Marvel proper with some new characters in the 616 that were somewhere else originally.

Although that X-Men thing is still in my mind.

-how do you feel about this? Excited? Pure sales ploy? Silly for Marvel?

Well of course it is a pure sales ploy.  Grin Anything Comic companies promote falls into that category, but at the same time, yes, I am excited. A small part of me wants a big change. Not a reboot sized big change, but something other than just soaking up the fringe, but I think that is all this is or will turn out to be. Just a thing for a short time.

Though again ... the Mutants ...

IT's a 'they won't call it a reboot' reboot?

They won't because it is not. Again, nothing here like 52. But also again ... I don't think anyway.  Wink

I'm not casting stones at it. I know that I'm not buying anything from it ...

Oh, thinking over a few titles (or mini's) that I think will be coming ... one or two may garner interest from you. You still may hold firm and not buy them, but I think you will be interested at least.
 Wink

Not saying I don't have faith in it, but Marvel has yet to show me a reason in the last 6 years to buy any maxi-series of theirs. But, will they give me something more to look forward to when it's done?

Well as you are correct that the Events from Marvel have been less than stellar in the past 6 years or so (with Invasion being the last really interesting one for me and Civil War being the last great one period), I think events from all companies can be labeled that description. I mean be honest, you bought DC events just because, right?  Smiley

But yeah, company events are "meh" all the time. Some really good stuff but mainly not so much. Even Valiant's which I was really excited for ended up being better in my head than on paper.

But Marvel really screwed up with that AXIS thing. That should have NEVER been an event in the first place. Wasn't originally planned to be so, but Events sell so they took a story that was going to be in the pages of just one title and promoted it as an event and instead of that title getting its usual 50K in orders it got an average of 85K as a twice a month event. So instead of it getting 150K total in 3 months, as a regular Marvel title, it got 680K in total physical orders. So instead of getting $598,500 worth of orders (cover price ... so about $120,000 total) it got $2,710,00 (again, cover price ... so about $600,000 total). By just making a regular title an "event" and pushing it out 8 times instead of 3 for three months, Marvel made almost 5 times more.

You can't tell me if you were the head of Marvel or DC or whatever that you would put an end to events. People bitch about them. People hate them. People buy the hell out of them!

But still, I look forward to someone getting one right again eventually.  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 04:09:59 AM »

Crap. Been meaning to get back to this. Hell, I haven't even read it in full!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 12:44:28 PM »

I've been meaning to jump back into this as well and say while I am not less excited, per se, I am also now a little confused as to how this "Event" works. I knew there were going to be three side-stories, each under a specific banner, but I had thought I figured out which stories would be under which banner, but now I am beginning to wonder.

Not sure that having someone who is somewhat familiar to your product being confused is the best of things, but maybe it is just me.

I know three sister series or "tie-ins" are :
LAST DAYS
BATTLEWORLD
WARZONES

The LAST DAYS tie-ins are pretty simple ... I think. They are the stories that happen right before or right after the SECRET WARS kicks off. I think. These are going to be the comics that are ending or are being relaunched. Again, I think

WARZONE labeled comics are ... or what I though it was going to be ... stories about the different zones intertwining with each other. In other words having stories/characters from say ... Old Man Logan crossing over with Future Imperfect or having Age of Apocalypse characters fight the 2099 characters. Stuff like that.

BATTLEWORLD labeled comics ... I thought ... were going to showcase stories from the actual zones. Like the K'un Lun zone having the story about Shang-Chi (as that zone is all martial arts related) or if you want Spider-Man you would read the Spider-Land zone.

But now, after seeing some more of what is coming out, I have no idea if this is correct anymore. I need to go back and look over this again. Maybe I misread something. But still, as a Marvel fan and a guy that knows how comics work, should I be this confused? Maybe it is just still too early and it will all become clear soon. I hope at least

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »

But now, after seeing some more of what is coming out, I have no idea if this is correct anymore. I need to go back and look over this again. Maybe I misread something. But still, as a Marvel fan and a guy that knows how comics work, should I be this confused? Maybe it is just still too early and it will all become clear soon. I hope at least

Honestly? I think it's just too soon to really nail down what all the banners pertain to, or what they reference. I just look at it all and go 'yeah yeah, we'll see it when it actually hits.' I don't think the current teased info helps at all, since there is no real clue about how or why this will start!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »

Smiley
Okay, breaking this down and answering some questions (even though Jimmy has still not answered the one I had on the 5 armies  Tongue  Wink Grin)
I Looked back at that, what are you referencing? Grin

But, lets see what I can tackle here!!!

This is NOT going to be like DC's 52. It may resemble DC's Crisis, in so far they are sucking up other universes, and there may be slight changes, but I think that is all it will be when it is said and done. (except for maybe the mutant titles. Something there may ... MAY just change as Marvel is really pushing the Inhumans)

But heck, maybe I am wrong, but I just don't think we will have too much lasting change here with this. I just think this is going to be just like Secret Wars but with a bunch of "convergent" like titles. A few "WHAT IF"s, a few mini series based on some of Marvel's greatest historical events and then BAM! back to Marvel proper with some new characters in the 616 that were somewhere else originally.

See, there’s a weird part of me that thinks that this will be more akin to the 1985 Crisis. Mush everything together, make a conjoined continuity going forward. BUT-I don’t think they will go as far as COIE by reorganizing history as completely as DC did.  The heartbeat of this just seems so similar, but that’s only at first blush, since there is not that much to really know about this.

Well of course it is a pure sales ploy.  Grin Anything Comic companies promote falls into that category, but at the same time, yes, I am excited. A small part of me wants a big change. Not a reboot sized big change, but something other than just soaking up the fringe, but I think that is all this is or will turn out to be. Just a thing for a short time.

It’s pure sales, yes, but is it a sales ploy? By this, I mean something like Uncanny Avengers story becoming a huge line wide event to capitalize off of one small thing going. I think you would agree with that.  I’m not that naïve to believe they are doing this purely artistically; it’s all about money!

But when cars 2 years ago started getting all tricked out with facebook connectivity and twitter apps on the dash? That’s trying to cash in something hot. Not really that thought out, it’s purely a cash grab to make others buy your stuff.

IF, and it’s a big IF, there could be a smallish reboot about Peter and Mary Jane..then yeah, I’ll be excited as well!
Oh, thinking over a few titles (or mini's) that I think will be coming ... one or two may garner interest from you. You still may hold firm and not buy them, but I think you will be interested at least.
 Wink
Well, as I said, ‘Renew Your Vows’ definitely garners more than a passing interest from me!

But cancelling/changing Spider-man 2099 to their new BattlezoneWorld 2099 book makes me pass on it all. And that’s just after me skipping 3 Spider-verse tie in issues on the title as well.

Well as you are correct that the Events from Marvel have been less than stellar in the past 6 years or so (with Invasion being the last really interesting one for me and Civil War being the last great one period), I think events from all companies can be labeled that description. I mean be honest, you bought DC events just because, right?  Smiley

But yeah, company events are "meh" all the time. Some really good stuff but mainly not so much. Even Valiant's which I was really excited for ended up being better in my head than on paper.

I have bought events plenty of times, but I think my track record will hold up. I have dropped Marvel events mid-way through (WWH), and with DC, skipped bunches. Yes, I got Forever Evil, but that held my attention with the Crime Syndicate! Wink

I also easily skipped Trinity War, Doomed, Godhead, Court of Owls & Death of the Family tie-ins. Once upon a time I made it a vow to skip mini-series, and so far, that really holds up for me. Sad, but true.

But you are right; some good stuff but not so much. Reading Original Sin on MU has been fun. A weird inclusive big story; the thing I remember about that is was, what, a weekly story for  $3.99 and $4.99 an issue? No, sorry, you can’t get all that money in 1-2 months. I’d rather buy the trade months later $10 cheaper than all that.

(just checked; can’t do that! The paperback has the 8 issues, the .1 issue, and the Original Sins tie-in series all collected. The first 2 issues of that were so poor.)

But still, I look forward to someone getting one right again eventually.  Grin

Too right!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:27:35 PM »

Smiley
I Looked back at that, what are you referencing? Grin

NO F'N CLUE.
 Angry

I don't know if I had the wrong thread or what, but all I remember is at the time of typing the above, there was a question you had not answered and I could have sworn it was on the topic of the 5 armies, but just looked myself and you're right, nothing there.

I know there is a question on this board, somewhere, that you have not yet answered. I just wish like hell I knew where to find it.
 Angry Angry

Cheesy Cheesy

As for the rest of your post, good stuff.  Cool

And I don't think this is a ploy anymore than any other event, but yes, certainly not as bad or as openly "ployful" as that damn AXIS. (Good point!)

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »

This could be amazing as Bendis can write his ass off when concentrating on just a few characters But even if the bad Bendis shows, this may still be worth getting because at the very least, it will look great
 Smiley

OLD MAN LOGAN

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »

Must.....fight.....temptation................

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 09:43:39 PM »

Must.....fight.....temptation................

Why?

If the MU is not working properly ...

come back to the darkside ... commmmmme baaaaaaack tooooooo daaaaaarksiiiiiiiide ...  Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:50:57 PM »

And just to make it harder for Jeff to resist ...

Peter David news ... HERE

Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 02:35:47 PM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »

Right?  Grin
Even I am hyped on this one!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »

Yeah - I might pick up that title.  Peter David isn't always perfect but the odds are in his favor.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »

Peter David isn't always perfect ...

Soooo, would you say he is Imperfect? Future Imperfect perhaps?  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS