HR Boards
December 15, 2017, 03:26:38 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the latest PREVIEWS!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SUPERMAN  (Read 25745 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 01, 2015, 06:59:08 AM »

Well I see where DC has stated that Superman will get a new costume in issue #38.

HeroRealm, prepare yourself for screams a plenty from our beloved Jimmy T who will surely post a rant by that Thursday.  ;)The only question, by way of comicbook alliteration, is rather that rant will be one of "Ensemble Elation" or "Outfit Outcry.

Will DC return to a more classic look (hopefully still void of red underwear) or will it be another Jim Lee techno 1995 look?

Either way, I am sure we will hear the cries coming from the northern U.S shortly after Superman #38 is released.  Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »

Pfft. Online image already posting. Let the Jimmy T machine begin!!!!

Gone are a significant amount of the trappings of Jim Lee reliving his 90's X-men glory days. The clunky chunky body armor (cuz SUPERMAN needs ARMOR for PROTECTION) appears more streamlined. Now, this is JRJr, so he wasn't portraying the New 52 armor in Lee's style anyway. Still, the overabundance of seam lines and plating lines simply for affect are gone-in Romita's interpretation.

They seem to aesthetically match better from traveling up the legs to around the torso. Even the one across the chest linking to the shoulders is fine. However, the shoulders still have an annoying diamond plate on them as do the back of the hands. The piping around the biceps still looks utterly stupid. Kal's got the guns; I doubt those lines will be able to hold back the muscle belly of those pythons. Wink

The belt visually looks way better than whatever bent Chevy roadster bumper he was using before. Returned is the oval, which just makes sense to me. However, instead of faking the utility of the belt actually having a use, like holding up pants, it still has that bent nature design to it. It couldn't curve around the hips and just hug his core muscles, eh? Had to have a hard line of just design appeal? Ugh.

RETURNED are the boots crowned flair at least! If there is anything significant about comic boots in history, it's that Batman's boots come to a point in the front, Captain America has the large swashbuckler boots, Thor has knee-padded thong-wrapped knee highs, and Superman has that dropped V. Gone are the Nintendo Power-glove inspired mass of foolishness that Lee kept drawing. It's like he didn't know when to stop adding flairs and seams. I think Dan Didio probably took away his pencil once a line of pouches got drawn on them.

A non-piped collar makes me happy; gone is what I considered an obnoxious regal collar(that matched ALL the collars of the main Justice League members-look it up). Would I like the collared affect gone? You betcha. It looks like in this design you wouldn't have Superman's trapezius muscles also bared, like in Supes' classic version, so I still think you could do away it entirely.

The cape seemingly built into the seam? Just fine. That strikes me as okay, but I do wish to see someone else illustrate it as well.

Now...NOW....what the FUG ARE WITH FINGERHOLES ON THE SLEEVES?!

NO.

NO NO NO.

NOONONONONONONONOONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I can't scream enough about that! WHY doesn't Superman have an open hand? Superman is an inviting character!! What men in this world are wearing this design? (yeah yeah he's an alien Perry, I get it, but he's raised Earth culture). TERRIBLE. UTTERLY hate it. STUPID. Same dreck as the white boots and full length gloves on the Punisher.

I'll go off on a tangent, but I fully believe that the hands of Superman should always be that of a stretched out hand of warmth, comfort, and aid. That's not a hand you cover up. That's a hand that is freely given, without hesitation, embarrassment, or reserve. This look holds that invitation back. As far as utility or need, why? Was Superman having problems with his sleeves slipping up his arms when flying super-sonic speeds? Is the entire suit a onesy that he doesn't like to get all bunched up in the armpits?

I'll also add, and this may come off as...well, I'm not sure how it will come off-but to me, Superman looks less a man. CERTAINLY less than the son of a farmer. I realize this may seem a foolish point, but I am calling Superman less manly for that accouterment.

And they can stop any time now with Jim lee's spikey S shield. Hate it.

At least this costume goes back to the idea of 'less is truly more' but it really fails from the shoulders on down. TRULY fails there!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:52:59 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:40:22 AM »

Wow, yeah those finger holes/gloves are ... something
 Roll Eyes Shocked Roll Eyes

Actually, I don't like the entire forearm aspect. it looks like a ... gauntlet of some sort ? (And great interpretation and characterization about the warmth in Supes touch, Jimmy)

And not sure about the seam that goes across the chest and into the lower part of the "S". Just not needed at all. If you want to accent or accentuate the chest area, just lower the "S" shield to where the corners hit the pectoral area where you want.   

You're right about the boots though. That is nice.

Not sure I like the cape being sown into the front of the shoulders, but I guess it makes more sense (Looks good in live action with Thor regal look and the like)

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »

I edited some about the hand/fingerholes. What do you think of those thoughts?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »

Smiley
Agree totally.
 Grin

But wonder about your "farmer" quote. Did you just add that as well? I don't remember that part being there so I hope that is part of what you're talking about or my meds are really kicking today and I missed an important part of your last post.  Undecided  But again, the "farmer" thing ... not that you're wrong, at all, I have just never considered his old style to be a connection to that aspect of his youth, and I SHOULD have. I will have to look more closely at that now.

And speaking of aspects of costume and hitting your Punisher stuff ... white makes absolutely no sense on him, other than being a perfect use of cosmetic contrast. Just looks beautiful to me, even though it is crazy for him to wear them. It does just look ... better than most of his stories.
 Cheesy

I have always just made myself think Frank wears the white to better show the blood spatter that has hit him, reminding him of the "evil" he has rid the world of.
 Cheesy Cheesy Grin
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 10:18:37 AM »

I did edit in that farmer comment after my initial posting. Not that the Superman costume has ever really shouted 'DAIRY FARMER AT WORK', but without a doubt, it was certainly circus strongman, and well, a strong man.

The extended sleeves....if I ever see him with his thumb in mouth and nibbling or chewing on that thumb sleeve, I'll storm DC offices and tear down the west wall of their building.

I think I built back up to the farmer thing (being raised as one myself) is that I can always picture my dad's large, callused, work-hardened hands. Every groove of the palm is etched with dirt and oil and WORK. The nails were large and hardened, and with those hands, Dad would greet everyone with a firm hand shake-no matter their walk of life. He would always extend his hand to introduce himself or me. I may (obviously) romanticize this aspect, as all children do about something of their parents, but my Dad's hands were his strength personified. Bales of hay are lifted by those hands, all the shovels and forkfuls thrown, all the milking-carried out through those hands.

And those hands didn't have cutesy half gloves.

....wow....what an odd soliloquy about hands and what importance I attribute to them and Superman!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:21:08 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:02 AM »

Have to go, but wanted to say I weill get back to this when I have ore time to read your response  Smiley

EDIT - Well I'm glad I didn't miss tha farmer thing the first time  Cheesy I really do miss stuff like that sometimes, so I was worried.
 Smiley

I know what you mean, Jimmy. I wasn't gonna look back for a Superman with a piece of of alfalfa between his teeth, so no worries.  Wink I did just want to go back and look at his costume in the veil of a mid-Westerner. Try to capture the simple, yet powerful aspect of the costume ... if I could find it.

I admit that it may be hard for me, someone that really hates said character, to look more deeply into the make-up and/or fiber of what he wears, but I thought it would be an interesting journey.

And man, I get you 101% on the hate for that particular part of his costume. I am trying to think who could pull that look off (just the finger-free glove look, not any other aspect. Maybe a Canadian hero or a Russian or an Alaskan one maybe? As someone that use to work in the freezing cold (yea, I mid-Easterner telling you about cold  Cheesy) I can get the finger-free or finger-less gloves (depending on how you look at it) for doing small tasks. so I know they are useful. But Supes should never have them. Not only because ... well ... duh ... invulnerable skin, but also for the point you made about his "openness" and "warmth" that his countenance should automatically bring.

Perhaps those gloves would be good for Red Star or Omega Red, but Superman? Nahhhh.

And they HAVE to do a thumb-sucking Supes now!!!! Just so I can see you on the news!!!
 Grin Wink
 Grin
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:57:09 PM by Perry » Logged
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »

Well I have seen the new Superman and it looks like the finger-less glove is actually not there, not sure if it comes out and folds around his fingers when he needs it or not  Cheesy, but what they are showing is a more ridiculous look. The too long, over the palm sleeve length that the likes of Jennifer Love Hewitt and lot of other young ladies use to wear.
 Cheesy

So we've gone from the cold weather construction look to 1990's chick chic  Grin Wink

Picture this, with an S on the chest and a red cape

Wink Grin

EDIT - I wanted to post a picture of it, but it may spoil some stuff for the issue that it was in, so instead I will post the link to BC, where I saw it originally.

Click HERE and scroll down to the bottom of the article to see the "Jennifer Hewitt" look on Supes.
 Wink

And ... EDIT 2 - The more I look at it, I am not sure I like the cape this way. I mean, it works fine for Thor, but I think it looks too regal, formal or black-tie for Supes. Like he should wear this when getting an award for something. It's not bad, but a little too dressy (?). But no big deal, really.

And what the hell EDIT 3 - Totally out of context, but I damn sure like Scott Kollins doing Supes in Action.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:26:50 AM by Perry » Logged
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »

I just did a reread of this; I totally glossed over how you didn't see them as part of the fingerless sleeves. YOu kept saying gloves, and well, I may not have written it out as well. I knew I meant the sleeves, but I totally didn't articulate that well. Hence, why I was so pissed about him maybe sucking on the sleeves, since I see that done a bunch in the high school setting.

It's still a popular look with Under Armour and Nike cold gear, especially for runners' styles. So, it's still out there!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »

No, no, I got what you were saying, I just didn't mind it as much with the glove look (though it still bothered me). But without the gloves, or form fitting around the fingers, it looks even more girly.

We were on the same page, I just don't like Superman dressing like Supergirl.  Undecided
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 06:56:26 AM »

We were on the same page, I just don't like Superman dressing like Supergirl.  Undecided

Indubitably.  Angry

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 05:43:59 PM »

So I just read the "directors cut" of Supes #32 (J.R.JR's finished pencil work, basically) and I got to say, I kinda really enjoyed what I saw. Not saying I find his art as enjoyable as I did back in the 80's, but JR has a nice look here that gets lost once the inks and colors hit the page.

Just thought it was interesting to see that.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 06:10:45 AM »

Superman #40

John Romita Jr. does not know how to write these characters. His Batman is way too jovial for one thing.

I still liked the issue, for what it was, a space filler, but the team going out for beer, while cute in a "team building" way, is also just not how I see these guys. Maybe it's just me.

Again, as a throw away issue it was good, just not very character accurate, I guess?
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 10:27:47 PM »

I get this in the mail...next week I think.

Also, I read the full Free Comic Day issue preview of Superman.

WHAT.  Angry

OH DC.....what are you doing to me?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 08:42:40 PM »

Action Comics #41 'Truth'

Dammit, gotta wait until the end of the month in 'Superman' to see Lois spill the beans on the secret, and why the Fortress has betrayed him. Dammit!!

In Greg Pak's writing I trust. But...this whole alien hating thing this world has for Superman rings false and stupid. The new 52 did prove that well after his first appearance, Superman became the typical loved by all hero. This 'alien freak get out of our world!' shtick doesn't fit very well. Like a size of corduroy pants one size too small.

I like Pak's presentation...just not sure how much I like editorial right now. Call me perplexed by it all

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS