HR Boards
July 22, 2017, 11:40:55 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: POWERS vol859  (Read 8630 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 24, 2015, 06:49:29 PM »

POWERS issue #1 (again)

Okay, I am only about half way through the title, so I can't yet speak of how good or bad this newest, new, newish issue of Powers will end up being, but I just wanted to say that I am not at all happy about the art. I am not sure if this was a rush job, he is using a new technic or he just didn't care as much but Michael Avon Oeming has never looked worse to my eyes as he does here.

Really, I know his art style is not what would be considered normal comic fare, but I had grown very fond of his art on Powers. How he made this comic look was a real special thing, well, I guess it is special again, but not in the way I want it to be. My eyes are just not digging this. Some of this issue is really tight, just like the old art, but there are a lot of panels here that just seems phoned in. Just not up to par.

Yuk.

I will try to get though this later, but I am already on my second try and I just gave up again. It may be awhile before I go for a third try.

Again ... Yuk

Embarrassed
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »

I tried borrowing the original trade of Powers vol 1 from a friend. To read Bendis on non-Marvel stuff, to read Bendis in his own, fully realized right.

I couldn't do it. I can't stand his written cadence dialogue. I quit after issue 3. That was enough. Retro Girl's death is still a mystery to me.

Sorry this isn't living up to it anymore, Perry.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:29:59 AM »

Yeah, You either like Bendis or don't, there is no in-between, usually.

Well, except for me I guess. Ha. I only really like his creator owned stuff or his Ultimate Spidey. Both places he is free to go all out and not try to find the actual voice of any of the characters, because in my humble opinion he only has three voices for Marvel characters. Spidey, Cap and Thor. Every single marvel character I have read from him sounds like one of those characters. Funny guy, Military type guy and Ego/God guy.
 Grin

But his early Powers is damn good. Not the most fast paced piece of prose, to say the least, but it is really well written as far as beats and flow. But the talking head factor and the repetitive style just does seem to ruin it for some, no doubt. Plus, that factor is even more pronounced when you don't know or yet care about the characters you're reading. Makes it easier when you know people that talk that way, I guess.
 Smiley

But this art here ... I just don't get the change.
 Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS