HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:09:45 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ant-Man  (Read 13516 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 14, 2015, 05:53:47 PM »

Loved issue one. Loved it. But of gourse, me being me ...  Grin there are two things that bothered me. One is not spoiler specific, so I will not cover that, but the other is so I will mark it as such.

One issue was the artists choice of elevator shots on page 13 (or so) when Tony and Scott are in the elevator going down to the lobby. In the first panel we get an eye-level view of them entering the elevator, the second panel is a ceiling angle or lower-high angle (which is great as it directs our mind to show they are indeed going "down"), but then the third panel we are at eye-level again, which would not be bad if it was only an interior shot of the elevator, but as it is another external it forces the mind in a direction that it should not go because in the fourth and final panel, we are at high angle showing the eelvator falling even more from our sight.

So in other words, the artist drew a scene where the elevator looks even, going down, stopped and then suddenly it is even further down.

I know this seems like bullshit and crazy talk, but from an artistic point of view it was just a bad use of panel progressions. Yes, it is still silly to bitch about  Grin, but trust me, the page would have worked so much better had the third panel been only the interior of the elevator (making us blind to the way the elevator is going) or had all three panels after the first one show an steady rate of falling perspective. Not this level, down, level, down thing.

I hope someone takes the time to look at what I am talking about so I won't seem as crazy  Cheesy Crazy sure, but not as crazy.

Now, as if that wasn't enough ... on to my second complaint  Cheesy ...
The amount of time that had to pass while the Beetle was holding a gun on Tony ... before actually trying to shoot him. I mean after screaming "This is for women everywhere!" there is a huge delay while Scott shrinks down, slides into the gun, pull the wires and disables the gun all before she pulls the trigger? It's insane. The timing here just doesn't add up. The writer really screwed the time flow all to hell. Really, again, I hope someone reads or looks at what I am talking about but Beetle would have had to pull the gun, scream her comment and then wait like at least 3 seconds before firing for all of what Scott did to have happened.
Crazy.

Yes, I know, its stupid. Both things are really a small bitch, but look at the issue and you will at least see what I mean.  Smiley

Other than those two minor (super minor  Wink) complaints, this was as solid as an introductory issue as one can get. There were a lot of things cleared up here (and some still head scratching about his daughter and her
new, younger age
but hopefully answers will be coming) and a nice way to introduce this character to people that had no idea who he was or what his past was like.

Good art (one page aside  Angry) and great dialog and wit make this an easy high score for me. Can't wait to see issue two (or especially three when the Taskmaster hits!!!)

8 outta 10 - empty tooth-paste tubes
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:08:15 PM »

I thought the same thing about complaint number 2 so your not crazy there.  I'll have to go back and look at the elevator scene.

And really, (I think you will agree with this) if those are the only two things you could find to complain about then it's proof of what a good issue this was!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 01:55:59 AM »

Has Lang ever went after Doom for killing his daughter?

I heard that Doom killed Stature (Cassie) in some Young Avengers mini.  Is that true and has the death stuck thus far?
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:46:05 AM »

Has Lang ever went after Doom for killing his daughter?

I heard that Doom killed Stature (Cassie) in some Young Avengers mini.  Is that true and has the death stuck thus far?

No, yes, and no. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 03:05:08 PM »

Grin

And again, not only is that death still ... up in the air, she is also younger now. No idea how they are going to explain this and they may just ignore the entire thing. And honestly, as it (the death) was written by Allan Heinberg, I would have no problem with that at all.
 Tongue

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 03:32:50 PM »

Did I miss her resurrection some where or is this the first time we're finding out she's back from the dead?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »

Didn't it happen in the end of Original Sin or something? I vaguely recall it was a tremendous one-off situation that didn't seem to make any sense.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 04:59:28 PM »

I just looked it up and apparently it happened in
AXIS
which I haven't read yet.  And
Dr Doom is the one who brings her back.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:51:27 PM »

Damn, must have missed that. Off to find out why

EDIT - Ahhh, it happened in AVENGERS WORLD, an AXIS tie-in. Still ... should have seen something about it in AXIS main but maybe I just over looked it
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:55:24 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 01:32:43 AM »

Issue #2 ... better than the first.

For you that have enjoyed Superior Foes, you should know that this book is following suit. Fuh-Na-Na-Na-Knee!
 Grin

Make sure you guys add this to your MU pull the second it come out.

I won't spoil, but Ant-Man's fight with Grizzly? Ha-Larry-us  Cheesy Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 12:37:39 AM »

Yep.  Definitely adding this to mu MU pull.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 02:59:10 PM »

Issue #13

And so we come to a close. A really good issue. All around I mean. Humor, the feels, yeah, all here. Another good thing here, and in a lot of Marvel books I have read over the last month or so, is the placement (or in some cases just the discussion) of the Fantastic Four. In this book, we have at least two F.F. things as in a thought/flashback panel starring various heroes, both Reed and Sue are pictured. Plus, as  .... someone goes to a vending machine, there is a picture of the Thing head, found on most Marvel stuff from the 80's, ya know THIS ONE, on the side of the machine and the name of the machine is "It's SNACKING TIME!"

LOVE IT !! They will soon return damn it. The F.F. will soon return!!!

But oh yeah, this book was a great close to the series.

8 outta 10 ways to verbally stammer.

(I wish writers would stop writing slurs or extended sounds with letters like "G". I mean with some letters it is fine. Using S, or M or any countless others is okay as you get this -  "SSSSSSSTOP HIM" or "STOP HIMMMMM" and it makes sense. But "HE'S JUST A BUGGGGGGG" makes none what so ever. You can't extend the "G" without stuttering, and that is not what that is. You're are basically telling us readers that your character is saying "HE'S JUST A BUG,GUH,GUH,GUH,GUH,GUH")

Angry

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 04:12:52 PM »

Love this run. Nick Spencer has a big fan in me these days. Hell, I may go and buy the tpbs of Superior Foes of Spider-man and all his An-Man simply to have them and show sales for this writer here as well. (not mentioning Morning glories, obvoiusly) Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »

I can't agree with you more, buddy, but I just wish I could get into his Captain America's ... either of them, as much as his other stuff (even his 

I mean they are okay, but ... just not as fun as all the stuff you mentioned above and depending on your political leaning, could really make you mad at times. I mean, yeah, I lean to the Liberal side (though I am not a Democrat) but ... I don't know, just some of it seems pushy. And no, I am not talking about ... see ... I can't even discuss it without being political here, and I don't want to do that.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 05:51:07 PM »

I can't agree with you more, buddy, but I just wish I could get into his Captain America's ... either of them, as much as his other stuff (even his 

I mean they are okay, but ... just not as fun as all the stuff you mentioned above and depending on your political leaning, could really make you mad at times. I mean, yeah, I lean to the Liberal side (though I am not a Democrat) but ... I don't know, just some of it seems pushy. And no, I am not talking about ... see ... I can't even discuss it without being political here, and I don't want to do that.
 Cheesy

Yeah I saw a panel with Joe Eisna and he talked about how Nick pushing his politics so I figured I should stay clear of his Cap.  But everything else he does is pretty great stuff.  Love Morning Glories and really like both Ant Man and Superior Foes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS