HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 04:49:52 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Warlord  (Read 7827 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 09, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »

After reading the current Green Arrow, I got to reminiscing about the older Ollie that I love and that got me thinking about the Long Bow Hunter and that get me thinking about Warlord. Well, I got a chance to pick up some Warlord, and as I remember the title fondly, I almost pulled the trigger immediately. However, I got to worrying that it may not hold up well. I mean, it was almost a niche comic anyway, which was a fun aspect, but is the idea and fun that was better than the execution, compared to today I mean?

I can deal with cheese in my pulp style comics, but not sure I can in the world of Warlord.

Any help?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 02:29:43 AM »

Man, I loved this series back in the day.  It was one of my favorites.  I'd love to get all of these from the Mike Grell days just like you.

I don't know if it stands the test of time or not but I can't see why it wouldn't.  The art alone is worth the re-visit.

Princess Tara got me through the pre-teen years.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »

Always wanted that belt buckle  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »

Just found that stack of 52 that I never did finish. Think I only got to issue 8 last time I tried, and then got sidetracked. Think I am going to try that again. Really want/need to read this thing, so I think I will hold off on the WARLORD for now.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:32:42 PM »

i have been working on a run of warlord for about 7 or 8 years now.  i am about 30 issues shy of having the complete run.  i am so looking forward to finishing it and sitting down and reading them all.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »

Well I can't wait for you to do so, so I can see if they hold up well  Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 02:16:27 PM »

!!!!
!!!
 Huh

Okay, wow, so Jimmy, with his latest post here about his Green Arrow love (stop now and go read it), got me re-thinking about this darn Warlord series. So I started doing a little pre-research and was just blown away by what I found. I had bought the first ... 20 issues or so of this book when they came out, maybe missing an issue or two between, and I knew that it went on for a good little while after that, but I had no idea that it lasted  for 133 issues. I only thought it went for 71 ... when Grell left. But 133? (I knew Cow still had 30 to go, but his list of ones he has is even more impressive than I originally thought. I was thinking he had about 45 issues and still needed almost half, but now ...  Cheesy)

Jeez, now I have to look more into this. Was there a big Grell uproar that I missed? I thought this was partly his creation, I mean as ownership goes? I know I let DC go by the wayside long before I did Marvel, but I am usually on top of comic news. How did I miss this shit?
 Cheesy

Anyone know what happened? Was it a peaceful split from the title with Grell? Crap, gotta find out now.

Oh ...
And Grell's signature is one of the most awesome sigs in the world!!!
 Smiley

Is that not awesome?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »

Alright; that's a pretty damned cool signature!!

Never read Warlord; I never knew much of it, and that was out I think before I was aware of the greater worlds of other comics that were not coming to my local grocery store.

But yeah...wonder what stopped Mike Grell from still being around?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »

It scares me how sometimes Perry and I are psychically connected.  Jimmy's GA post made me think of this as well.  Absolutely loved Grell's Warlord back in the day.  133 issues? Wow. Can't help but wonder if it still holds up.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 05:00:07 PM »

*laughs*

Heh! Great minds think alike Cheesy

Just looked at the wiki; Grell drew Warlord until 59, wrote until 71. So, who knows how it stands, or how it holds up. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 01:56:37 PM »

Ahhh ... hmmmm

Come on Cow, ring in. Open up one of those Warlords you have and let me know if it holds up well enough or is it dated as .... something I can't think of.
 Cheesy

I guess though if his GA still holds pretty well, his Warlord should ... I guess?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS