HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:49:33 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A re-read: Forever Evil and Justice League vol 5  (Read 3787 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: December 31, 2014, 05:29:06 PM »

Vol 5 of Justice League is Forever Heroes, for an fyi.

SPOILERS ABOUND, IF NEED BE SAID

FE was the 'last' mini I said I would buy, as I haven't found them to be worthwhile (at least, over in Marvel, where I've stopped enjoying them some time ago). DC hasn't won me over in a while, but I wanted to see what my full thoughts were in this telling in a straight read.

Turns out...I enjoyed it. Certainly not for the Finch art; that was rushed, sloppy, heavily inked with far too much thick brush lines over an anatomy that is entirely created by a Finchy god who insists on overwrought scowls, diagonal box eyes, and carny caricatures of human expression.

I enjoyed it...for the inversion of storytelling. This was from a villains' perspective, and through the telling, we found that villain against villain meant real consequences. At any point with the hero maxi/mini series, you truly know they won't kill the villain they go up against. Sinestro gets some satisfaction in killing a Hal Jordan, Johnny Quick is a Flash that Cold finally gets to stop..cold. Atomika gets justice met by the boot of Lex. Lex killing another (a)lex Luthor seems more than justified, and not a horrible spectacle, ala Superman killing Zod in 'Man of Steel' or WW killing Max Lord even.

Couple FE with the same month running Justice League issues, and we get really cool back stories to read of Ultraman, the Owlman, and the rest. That, and FINALLY a rising action, growing hero story of Victor Stone. Cyborg, I still have been unable to care about or give a 2 cents worth amount of interest in, but him being the rebuilt, only hero to go against the Grid, along with the Metal Men, finally gave me something to cheer about.

At the center of it all; Lex Luthor. There are many times where yes, I could agree that Lex needs his own book. At least, a regular Maxi series or something. Lex on a mission (ala Cornell's run on Action with the storyline "Black Ring' was great) is always a high light to read. But Johns gets a Luthor to shine in all his spite, self-interest, self-serving, but ultimately sanctified actions. I had to just laugh awesomely at the wink & nod to how Bizarro got his name. Loved it! I will miss that Frankenstein monster.

The ending of these issues also marked me finally stopping getting the Justice League issues. Considering the A+ artists they put on Justice League with Johns, and the price of the book ($3.99, natch), and that I was buying the trades, but not getting enough of a return on ebay, I decided to cut out the monthly middle man and go right for trade.

More's the pity, for me. Since DC decided to move to Burbank, all DC volume 6's have dramatically been shifted back in the year, and there is a far greater time in publication release dates than before.

And it sucks! I love Johns' JL title. It's like, ..it's like the idealized superhero book of DC. There is easily enough character interaction, but the stakes are very high with very personal ramifications.

Where has Ultraman ended at? How long will Superman stay locked up? What about her baby? What has Owlman been doing in Gotham? Can't wait to see the new Power Ring!

That, and with stories coming down the pipe with the Amazo virus, 7 Kingdoms of the Sea, Darkseid war, and all that, I'm super jazzed to read this book!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:59:42 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 03:53:42 PM »

Have to read a little more before I get to this, but interested in what you say ... how many spoilers are in the post?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »

Have to read a little more before I get to this, but interested in what you say ... how many spoilers are in the post?

There are some key points that get highlighted from the series, so if I were you, I'd probably skip it, Perry.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 04:12:14 PM »

Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS