HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:30:00 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: THRONE OF ATLANTIS (Justice League)  (Read 5322 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 16, 2015, 09:20:27 PM »

Just got finished watching this and I am happy to say that I made it through ... all the way ... without falling asleep once. I say that with pride because you should know, it took some effort. This "movie" is, at its best, a good place to hear some nice quips from GL (voiced by the great Nathan Fillion) and the Flash and at its worse ... boring in every single other aspect.

Everything that Geoff Johns accomplished in bringing the "cool" back to Aquaman in his ongoing comic is just squashed as easily here in this animated version of his very own Aquaman origin story. While it's rather short at only just over an hour long, which helped in me being able to stay awake, it still feels like you just sat through a three hour venture when you finally get to the end. It's slow. It's boring. It's everything people use to think of when they think of Aquaman. Congrats for bringing it old school, guys.
 Embarrassed

And of course, as I was so bored, I had lots of time to add stuff to my "Perry's NitPicks" (a free service of HeroRealm)  Grin

I hate that Aquaman is a vegetarian. He must be, he frees lobsters. Ya know, he doesn't have to save every sea creature. I mean we eat cows, why can't he eat a damn crab? Or tuna. Show him eating a damn tuna sandwich!!!

Cyborg is even robotic on his body where there isn't robotics shown. He must have them all over as he dives to the ocean depths with only a breather over his face, not a full helmet, so when his eye should implode from the pressure, it doesn't. Yeah for accuracy. And speaking of accuracy ...

Contrails. They usually happen at about 8.000 miles high (about 26,000 feet) though yes, sometimes lower if the humidity is a certain way and it's cold enough, then they can happen at around half that high. However, still, they happen way up. Stop showing jets leaving contrails at 100' in the air

I hate the lit stripes on GL. Stop it. Get rid of them.

I hate this voice of Batman. Stop it. Get rid of him.

And why even have one villain say the word "Shit"? I mean, I curse like a sailor giving sailors cursing lessons and I am fine hearing it, but here, we get it one time? Is it just to be cool? Or do only bad guys curse? Just leave it out if you can. I won't be mad (Yes I will)
 Cheesy

So anyway, there are my bitches ... see, I had to curse to make me look cool !

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:32:13 PM »

LOl those nitpicks...are to the pnth degree! (that's a degree of Perry that many are not able to do Wink

HOWEVER...in Aquaman #1, Arthur walks into a seaside diner, and orders a plate of cod. Why? Because he's hungry-and he's not related to fish, nor is he friends with every fish in the sea either. Ugh. What a damn useless point. Here's hoping he rode a giant sea horse as well. #rolleyes

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 03:07:49 PM »

Grin
Ya know, I forget about that! I actually loved the first ... 8 issues or so of that title, but damn sure forgot about that. Good. Thanks for reminding me.  Cool

The movie wasn't horrible, but man it just felt like, I don't know, nothing really happened, maybe? Certainly not worth a "buy", but when it hits Redbox I suppose everyone should at least see it if they need an Aquaman fix, haven't read John's run or if they have but forgot about things that happen in John's run  Wink

Sadly, I think there is rough time ahead for DC animated. I just saw the trailer for the new Batman vs Robin and Batman is voiced by Jason O'Mara again and I just do not like his voice. I was hoping to enjoy that one, but now I'm not sure I can and that scares me. I use to hold DC animated in such high regard (extremely high regard) but after the last 4 DC animated movies; both JLA movies (War and Throne of Atlantis) and the last two Batman movies (Son of Batman and Assault on Arkham) I am beginning to worry.

But who knows, I was getting worried once before after the two movies Superman vs the Elite (which had a hard time being even decent) and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (which just showed me how poorly that great, great arc has aged) but then they hit pretty strong right after with Superman: Unbound (a movie that actually made me rethink my hatred of the character) and Flashpoint (the fantastic, but too short Flashpoint) so maybe they can come strong with this new one. But I will not go in with high or even middle-of-the-road expectations of that happening.
Undecided

Ya know, after mentioning it, I may go watch Unbound again in a minute Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 02:44:51 PM »

Yeah, 'War' was utterly atrocious. I did not even bother to finish it. 25 minutes in, or maybe more, and I said nope! I was just done.

I liked Flashpoint. I thought Dark Knight Returns was...a little too ponderous. Like Weller wasn't able to fully sell out on his Batman voice, so he came across really flat to me. And the movie seemed flat for it.

I only heard awful about Son of Batman, so I avoided. Assault I just haven't even tried. Superman Vs. the Elite was also a a bit ponderously slow to me, ala DKR too. Not sure why. Superman at the end just sounded like a parent explaining slowly to a 5 year old instead of a paragon of humanity speaking for the righteously good of the world.

And for whatever reason...why can't I remember Superman Unbound?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 03:04:26 PM »

I only heard awful about Son of Batman, so I avoided. Assault I just haven't even tried.

Smart, smart man. Though who knows, you may end up liking it. Nawwww. I don't see that.

Superman Vs. the Elite was also a a bit ponderously slow to me, ala DKR too. Not sure why. Superman at the end just sounded like a parent explaining slowly to a 5 year old instead of a paragon of humanity speaking for the righteously good of the world.

BAM!!! Exactly !!!! Cool

And for whatever reason...why can't I remember Superman Unbound?

Based on John's Brainiac arc. I don't think you liked that arc as it
killed Johnathan Kent
. I may be mistaken about that however, but if that is true (both what happened and your feelings about what happened  Cheesy), than you probably wouldn't like this either. It is pretty much the Brainiac arc precisely.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:23:14 AM »

So did anyone sit through this yet?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 03:02:33 AM »

Nope. I just shied away from it when you called it garbage. Looking back on all the other DC toon videos, we've agreed with them all. I figured, why break habit now?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 03:46:37 AM »

Grin Grin Cheesy
Nice.

I am still going to give the next Batman and Robin one a try, though I have little hopes for it.

Just sucks because DC use to be so damn good at these. I mean, really good.  Embarrassed Cry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS