HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 09:13:33 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Perez' Sirens  (Read 7598 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 08, 2014, 06:45:25 PM »

I will never forgive myself for what I am about to say, but ... George Perez's SIRENS may have been the worst book I have read in a very long time.
From having just too many panels of words upon words upon words, most of which was poorly put together to form a book that was just poorly written, to a convoluted plot that is only confusing itself as much as it is the readers, to artistic errors and faces that are soo messed up looking that they seem like someone else drew them, this book is pretty bad all around.

Look, Perez has never been a great writer though I found him to be serviceable at times, but after his recent Superman run (yuk) and this (double yuck) I think it is time to just tell him to stop.

Even more sad for me ... that request to "stop" goes for his pencil work as well, or at the very least, his inks. There are only a few panels in this book that look like a George Perez drawn book and he penciled and inked this ... thing. I know he has had surgery on his eye but that has not helped him as his facial work is just no longer what it was. His backgrounds are still intense and well thought out, but still his art is just not what it was.

I have went ahead and canceled my order for issue #3 of this  title and I got to tell ya, that was not a fun thing to have to do, but this title is not even worth the $2.59 I had been paying for it.

I shall now go cry as i realize my number current top 10 favorite artist has to be removed from that list and is now just relegated to be in my all time list. Though he is still #2 on that (Right behind Big John Busceman) and that will forever count for something.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 06:30:38 PM »

Wow...that is one tough review!

But...even giants need to lay down and surrender themselves to time. Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 04:09:55 AM »

I think your being overly harsh.  Maybe your expectations were too high and it couldn't meet them?

I found it to be interesting and I like the time travel aspect of it.  I liked it for what it is.

Maybe not the best, but the worst?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »

I think your being overly harsh.  Maybe your expectations were too high and it couldn't meet them?

I found it to be interesting and I like the time travel aspect of it.  I liked it for what it is.

Maybe not the best, but the worst?

I am glad you enjoyed it, but yes, this is the worst book I have read in a very long time. And after reading his Superman, I was not expecting much, so no, it is not that I had overly high expectations. Now it is not Horwitz level bad, but it is still the worst book I think I have read all year if not over a year. It was jumbled as hell and too packed with info and things hinted at rather than being fact which only added to the confusion of what story he was trying to tell.

Tell me, please, what part of this story did you enjoy? And don't say "the time travel part".  Tongue What part did you enjoy? what piece of dialog? Or what piece of art? Or what piece of anything ....?

And speaking of art ... Look ... Perez was a king and I am sorry he fell into problems with his eyes, that really, truly sucks, but when you put forth inked images like this (the eyes ... dear lord the eyes !!) -

Or this gem (actually discussed on one of the many podcasts I listen to), please tell me how this is Perez art?

than yes, I am very much content with saying the art here is far from being his best and is, in fact, the worst he has ever done.

I am not happy that I feel that way, but the proof is in this book. His worst book artistic wise and writing wise and also the worst book I have read in a long time.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »

Re-reading that post above ... man, Jeff, I wasn't being an ass or at least that was not what I was going for, but it kinda came out that way. Should have used a little more smileys for sure,  Grin but I honestly want to know what part you did enjoy. I mean, I only ask as we usually share similar likes and it troubles me that I am that far away from you on this book. I would like to know what it is I need to look at again.

Of course if it is one of those "just can't explain it" things we all have, I understand that as well and we can just chalk this up to being one of those rare titles that we are far apart on.  Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »

LOL - Nah - that's just Perry being Perry.  Ha Ha!

I really didn't like it enough to defend it.  I was thinking about it on the way home last night and maybe my nostalgia was strong enough to over look some things.  It did have story problems but I was interested enough to get the next issue.  In fact, I think its only a 6 issue mini so I'll probably get the whole thing.....for nostalgia's sake.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 11:58:38 AM »

Okay, sure, I can see that.  Smiley

I p[probably should do that, but it just hit me on the disappointment side too much. Broke my heart to see his stuff like that.
 Cry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »

ISSUE #2

Oh man.  If you hated the first issue don't dare pick up this one.  Wow what a bloody mess.  Whoever is inking Perez's art is destroying it.  The story itself is confusing due to too many characters we know nothing about.  I'm thinking of stopping here.  Very disappointed as this had potential.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 04:16:23 PM »

ISSUE #2
... Whoever is inking Perez's art is destroying it.

Sadly the inker is Perez himself. Just had to jump after issue #1 due to that art work alone. I couldn't take looking at a man's work I respect so much, being so poorly created and displayed.

I mean the story itself was all over the place as well, and I guess it didn't tighten up any with issue two, but damn ... the look of the pages and hell, even the layouts and artistic storytelling (not the dialog or plot) was just terrible.

I shall now go pout for an hour thinking about how far my man Perez has fallen.
YOU WILL BE MISSED, SIR!!!
 Cry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 08:14:27 PM »

Yeah I'm dropping it too.  I already preordered number 3 but I'm not buying anymore.

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 01:50:08 AM »

I'm in agreement with Perry on this.

We've all bragged on Perez over the years, with good reason, about how many characters he can fit into a panel and make it look spectacular.  However, those were in Big Two books - where we already knew most, if not all, the characters - and Perez had a writer pacing out the story with introductions.

Here we're thrown into multiple worlds with the faintest of links between them and the characters - all of whom are brand new.  In the right hands that could be exciting.  However, here it's a constant fight to stick with the dialog and narration - where it's not always clear who's saying what or even who's who.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 11:07:44 PM »

I hear issues #5 and #6 have never been released. Ouch. So damn sad.
I wish him well
 Embarrassed

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 05:33:54 PM »

Wow.  That's awful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS