HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:44:13 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 24630 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 05, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »

Marvel's Star Wars is coming.  And it's written by Jason Aaron with art by John Cassady.

Even though I switched to Marvel Unlimited I'm really tempted to add this to my pull.  Jason Aaron writing Star Wars?  Tempting.......

STAR WARS #1
(W) Jason Aaron (A/CA) John Cassaday

THE GREATEST SPACE ADVENTURE OF ALL TIME RETURNS TO MARVEL! Luke Skywalker and the ragtag band of rebels fighting against the Galactic Empire are fresh off their biggest victory yet-the destruction of the massive battle station known as the Death Star. But the Empire's not toppled yet! Join Luke along with Princess Leia, smugglers Han Solo and Chewbacca, droids C-3PO and R2-D2 and the rest of the Rebel Alliance as they strike out for freedom against the evil forces of Darth Vader and his master, the Emperor. Written by Jason Aaron (Original Sin, Thor: God of Thunder) and with art by John Cassaday (Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny Avengers), this is the Star Wars saga as only Marvel Comics could make it! Rated T

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:11:50 PM »

Getting three copies and I will continue that each month. This is huge.

I may even get three copies of the other two titles as well.  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:40:50 PM »

Coming in March:

PRINCESS LEIA #1-2 (of 5)
MARK WAID (w) • TERRY DODSON (a/C) ISSUE #1 - Teaser Variant COVER by JOHN CASSADAY CONNECTING VARIANT COVER C BY J. SCOTT CAMPBELL VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS VARIANT COVER BY MARK BROOKS YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER VARIANT COVER BY BILL SIENKIEWICZ MOVIE VARIANT COVER BLANK VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE ISSUE #2 - VARIANT COVER BY TBA
• When Princess Leia Organa was captured by the Empire as a Rebel spy, she never betrayed her convictions, even in the face of the complete destruction of her home world, Alderaan. When her rescue came, she grabbed a blaster and joined the fight, escaping back to the Rebel Alliance and helping strike the biggest blow against the Empire—the destruction of the Death Star. But in the aftermath of that victory, the question remains...what is a princess without a world?
• Writer Mark Waid (Daredevil, S.H.I.E.L.D.) and artist Terry Dodson (Avengers & X-Men: Axis, Uncanny X-Men) bring us a story of Leia’s quest to help her people and find her place in the galaxy.
32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T …$3.99 (EACH) 

DARTH VADER #3
KIERON GILLEN (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A) Cover by ADI GRANOV VARIANT COVER BY SALVADOR LARROCA
• When a Dark Lord needs help, who can he turn to? • Meet Aphra—the galaxy’s foremost raider of lost weaponry!
• Plus: could these be the deadly droids she’s looking for?
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99 Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2015 Lucasfilm Ltd. 

STAR WARS #3
JASON AARON (W) • JOHN CASSADAY (A/C) VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL YU SKETCH VARIANT COVER BY JOHN CASSADAY ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER THE GREATEST SPACE ADVENTURE OF ALL TIME CONTINUES!
• The attack on Cymoon-1 comes crashing to an end!
• Will the Rebels overcome Vader to strike another blow against the Empire?
• And is Luke ready to be the Jedi Ben wanted him to be?
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99 Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2015 Lucasfilm Ltd.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »

So mad that damn teaser trailer for Star Wars came out prior to final cutoffs. I was gonna rake in the money from that damn Star Wars book, but I think there will be a flood of issue #1s now. I mean, it was gonna sell well anyway, but the final order numbers are crazy. That trailer pumped everyone up so damn much that comic shops are having to double their initial order.

Still getting two copies of each title, and will sell one set after the Leia title is done (Star Wars 1-7, Darth Vader 1-6 and Leia 1-5) but damn it ... was gonna sell another nice set of just the Star Wars 1-15 or so also (while keeping a set for me) but now I'm too damn scared the market will be flooded.

Still, Marvel events do sell like crazy on Ebay, so I may suck it up and keep my order at 3 copies for Star Wars and just 2 of everything else
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 02:34:21 AM »

And what about this one ...

STAR WARS LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION: THE EMPIRE VOL. 1 TPB
Written by JOHN OSTRANDER, RANDY STRADLEY, HADEN BLACKMAN & ALEXANDER FREED
Penciled by LUKE ROSS, DOUGLAS WHEATLEY, JIM HALL, CHRIS SCALF, MARCO CASTIELLO, ANDREA CHELLA & RICK LEONARDI
Cover by LUKE ROSS
Let the dark times begin! Marvel welcomes Star Wars to the Epic Collection program, with this first volume of a series focused on the years following STAR WARS: EPISODE III — REVENGE OF THE SITH! After the Clone Wars’ end, the Republic has fallen and Palpatine exerts his ruthless grip on his new Galactic Empire. Now, the few Jedi that remain must decide whether to hold true to their faith, or abandon it completely in the face of a brutal purge — one carried out by the new Dark Lord of the Sith: Darth Vader! Collecting STAR WARS: REPUBLIC #78-80, STAR WARS: PURGE #1, STAR WARS: PURGE — SECONDS TO DIE #1, STAR WARS: PURGE — THE HIDDEN BLADE #1, STAR WARS: PURGE — THE TYRANT’S FIST #1-2, STAR WARS: DARTH VADER AND THE LOST COMMAND #1-5 and STAR WARS: DARK TIMES #1-5.
440 PGS./Rated T …$34.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9398-2
Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2015 Lucasfilm Ltd.

So Marvel got the rights to the Dark Horse stuff too?
 Shocked

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 03:08:23 AM »

Wow.  Thats huge if they did.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 03:36:09 AM »

I believe that those are almost all the titles that were released after it was announced the SW brand comics were being moved back to Marvel, and that DH would no longer have the rights.

Perhaps it was something that was worked out at the time?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:11:52 PM »

Could very well be the case, Jimmy. But as Dark Horse published the old Marvel stuff, I wonder if there is also something else to do with time to be considered later on? Though that Marvel print run was a long time ago and the rights of creators and their money have gotten a lot more stringent since then, with reason, so that may also be a hurdle.

In other words, I have no idea if the Marvel stuff just fell back to Lucas while with Dark Horse the may have had a different set of rules as far as ownership with the creations they had a part of.

EDIT - went scouting and it seems that maybe, perhaps Marvel does have the rights to all the Dark Horse produced material and that this "Empire" Epic Collection will be the first of many.

According to CBR HERE

"...The Empire Vol. 1" is scheduled for release in April 2015, featuring multiple stories previously published by Dark Horse. And things won't stop there -- Marvel said they're looking to "collect full unbroken runs" of multiple past Star Wars stories."

and

"We're thrilled to be bringing our innovative Epic Collections to a galaxy far, far away," Marvel SVP sales and marketing David Gabriel said in the announcement. "We'll be bouncing around to different periods of Star Wars history with each Epic Collection, constructing one huge tapestry, collecting full unbroken runs of all the greatest Star Wars comics from the past 35 years."

Shocked

EDIT 2 - It seems that originally, Dark Horse had the rights to all of it's Star Wars original stuff and that Marvel would have to "buy" the files they wanted if any. I am thinking that Marvel just offered them a lump sum recently and they said yes. (?) pure speculation.

Of course what this means is it opens up Marvel to have two different universes for Star Wars right from the jump. It's like Earth Prime and Earth 2 at DC, except with Vader.
 Cheesy
Which means they could open a third X-Wars universe where Magneto is Vader, Beast is Chewbacca and Logan is Han causing Jedi to burn his entire collection when he hears the news.
 Wink Grin
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:56:26 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »

Of course what this means is it opens up Marvel to have two different universes for Star Wars right from the jump. It's like Earth Prime and Earth 2 at DC, except with Vader.
 Cheesy

In any case, I think it would be spectacular to have some of the older SW tales still be around, from older mini series as Tales of the Jedi, Freedon Nadd Uprising, Golden Age of the Sith, Knights of the Old Republic, Fall of the Sith, Sith War, Redemption, Dark Empire, Crimson Empire, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and more!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 01:45:37 AM »

KoToP was great for the first couple arcs and then lost me but could have returned to greatness ... I just don't know personally, but I can certainly see Splinter, Dark and Crimson Empire, Sith War and Tales being a welcome addition to perhaps new readers that never read them prior.

Did DH ever do the Brian Daley Solo stories like Lost Legacy? Ha, I still remember those books from Ballentine fondly. In fact, I remember that I ordered them from school. What was that school catalog they use to pass around? Schoolastic?
 Cheesy

EDIT - just checked and it seems they turned At Stars End over. This saddens me for two reasons:
1) It was only 3 issues when 5 would have been perfect
2) I never read the comic ... so that may negate #1 as maybe 3 is all it needed?
 Undecided
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:55:23 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 01:30:38 AM »

I've said it before and I will say it again ...

Lando is one of the best mini-series I have ever read. Not just Star Wars' mini, but any. The fact it is SW based only makes it that much more enjoyable, but as soon as you guys get the Star Wars titles on MU (or if they are there, as soon as this title hits MU  Grin) it needs to be one of the first ones you read.

So good

(And probably not my favorite ever, but still very good  Wink)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 01:37:41 AM »

They started showing up on MU last month, so soon!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 03:09:24 PM »

I've been reading the new issues, and yes, a good adventure flair to them. No doubt!!

But MAN am I glad to read the issues of SW at Dark Horse that I don't have! Been enjoying that just as much if not more, tbh!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »

I agree!  It's great that all the old Dark Horse titles on MU.  I loved Star Wars Legacy back in the day!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »

I've been reading the new issues, and yes, a good adventure flair to them. No doubt!!

But MAN am I glad to read the issues of SW at Dark Horse that I don't have! Been enjoying that just as much if not more, tbh!!

Yes, some of them were indeed very well done and great fun. Like the one Jeff mentioned, Legacy, I had fun with that as well, but I like Ostrander also.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS