HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 11:20:17 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AVENGERS : AGE OF ULTRON  (Read 16525 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 10:25:04 PM »

Got my tickets for 6:20pm today.  One hour and counting!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 11:01:18 PM »

I'm sitting in the theater now.  Great seats. Grin

19 minutes to go!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 11:19:43 PM »

1 minute to go!

Ok. Turning off phone now. Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 03:13:32 AM »

Since this is the first day I won't say a lot.  But I will say I liked it.  Lot of good winks for us geeks.

I will tell you there's no need to sit through all of the credits.  Once you see the first extra scene (comes after the main actor credits but before the main credits roll) there isn't a second scene.  At least there wasn't in the non-3D version we watched.

I want to talk about so much more but I will keep my mouth shut for now.   Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 05:26:41 AM »

Seen it! Loved it!
Full review coming tomorrow!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »

Of course....

-Joss Whedon...from reading reviews and interviews, I can definitely see just how taxing, exhausting, and wearying making this movie must have been. Not just merely juggling the parts of the plot, the characterization, moving story, but there is also the fame (of the actors), pushing the roles that need to be pushed, highlighting and spot-lighting of people-all that happens before set and action design and cgi! I bet this thing hits close to 1.75 billion world wide. The craft of this movie is just insane

-The action-great, awesome, fun, deserving.

-Just fun; did I mention that? The movie clocks in at 2 h 22 min, but at this point, since you are so familiar with all and everyone, it's just pure dessert to spend so much time with a concept you love so much.

-Spader's Ultron is awesome. Nuff said.  Grin
Although, I wonder for some other purists viewpoing if Ultrons's more...candid approach will work. He uses contractions, he's bothered and easily frustrated and takes on an upset child's viewpoint at times. At least, not quite child like, but at a loss for understanding. From a robot point of view, I accept that action entirely!

-Vision!!! I gots to go reread me some Avengers West Coast trades from my library. Oh, and bemoan the loss of this current character from current Avengers lexicon and actions. Sad

Other things
Dr. Cho and her synthetic skin science seemed to be the movie's macguffin. So easily and casually introduced, but it became the entire crux to Vision's creation. That, and Tony and Bruce's "we're mad scientists" scene. It didn't work out very well when Ultron was accidentally created, but hey, lets make this android AI a reality? I'm sure it'll work then? That part was the weakest for me.

In relating to future movies:
The fact that the Avengers nearly stop everything they are doing to save everyone on the flying city just hits even harder how dark and disappointing Man of Steel was. The Avengers saved everyone. It's said that Man of Steel was about Superman becoming himself, but hey, Captain America was a hero right from the get go. Iron Man worked to right his wrongs immediately once he saw what he wrought. Since B v S was a trailer in front of my viewing, I can only worry and fret that from that tone, that' it's a movie purely of vengeance and anger, with no bright spots. THAT'S what you want from the greatest superhero ever? I am beside myself with worry with how different (and yes, wrong) that 'DC movie universe' is going to be from the MCU.

ON this :
I hope Strucker's not dead; as villains from Cap's past can sometimes be hard to come by. However, bring on Zemo for many appearances!! Can't wait for Cap 3! Also very cool to see the beginning of Klaw.

I laugh at this sardonically:
OH, we had to fight about the use of Quicksilver in both X-men and Avenger movies? FINE; we'll kill him in this movie and he's gone from the universe!! LOL I will miss him though. Sad

No...just a great experience; I loved to see it. I loved the care that went into; the thought to make a good heroic movie (that just happens to be about comics). It honors the source, it isn't ashamed of it, and brings out the best of it for all to see.

People. Will. Come.

Honor the source; embrace it, cherish it. Realize that they've been around for 3-5 generations because something about them matters. (Okay yes I'm yelling at Warner Bros right now). It's not broke; nothing needs to be fixed.

If you do this....people from all walks of life and ages will respond. Most heartily. I can't tell you how many kids and adults were wearing super hero tees at the theater. So very cool. Even my wife yells at me "What did you DO to me?!" as she discusses in earnest the characters, where they were seen before in movies and comics, and asks expectantly about what to look forward to.

Can't wait for my second viewing.  Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »

A quick gripe about my friends.  I've been getting texts about "Was it as good as the first one".  I dodged the question because I knew what would happen if I answered.  Then one of my other friends replied to the group chat "Not as good as the first".  So now everyone pre-judges the movie as being crap.

AND ITS NOT!!  It's a great movie!!!!  Just drives me crazy that I feel like I have to defend the movie.

The first movie seemed to be put together a little better.  And by that I mean scene changes were smooth and the story flowed perfectly.  With this one, the beginning was a little awkward at times and just had a weird feel.  Seemed a little forced getting to the creation of Ultron.  But once he was on the screeen - BAM!  The movie took off and my doubts were gone.

James Spader was a great choice for Ultron - well, he's really a great choice for any character - and he hits it out of the park.  Of course, as a Blacklist watcher I never could get past the fact that Ultron sounded like Reddington.   Cheesy

How about that Hulk vs Ironman battle??  That was AWESOME!

Loved seeing the Vision and his awesomeness.

Also loved the Stan Lee cameo - having shots with Thor.  How funny was that?

Clint Barton is married?  And has kids?!  Nice ploy to throw that in there to make the audience think he wasn't going to survive.  And then twist it with Quicksilver.  "I bet you didn't see that coming."  No Pietro, I did not!

Also funny - the bumper sticker in the cockpit of the quinjet "Jarvis is my co-pilot"   Cheesy

Can't wait to go see it again in 3D or IMAX.  I'm sure there are a lot of little things I missed.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 03:21:28 AM »

i loved it but I want to see it again before I start breaking things down.  my nephew is coming into town next week and I am going to try to take him if he hasn't already seen it.

my favorite thing about the flick?
the ongoing gag about being worthy to lift Thor's hammer.  I loved Cap's quip about putting it on an elevator, "does that mean the elevator's worthy?"  classic.

krono0666
HR Vigilante

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 04:09:10 AM »

I really enjoyed the flick, too.  Like Jeff, I've been avoiding the "Is it better than first one?" question.  Let's be honest, can anything ever really reach the heights of the first movie?  I think if we keep trying to compare it to the first one, everything after will just come off as falling short.  Instead, I think taking the movie in context of the larger "picture" that is being painted is the only fair way of critiquing the film.

Anyway, I think the biggest disappointment I felt came in the fact that the 3D just didn't feel implemented well.  I was truly surprised with how good the 3D was in the first Avengers film, however, with this one, nothing stuck out.... not even any sort of immersion or impression of depth.  I watched the Imax 3d version of the film.

While I think the movie looked amazing in Imax.... I think you can save some dollars by just watching the non-3D version.

"Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 02:23:14 AM »

ok, I have been thinking about this today...I have a theory....

do you think that the Hulk was actually PILOTING the Quinjet at the end?  kinda looked like it to me.  I wonder if when the scarlet witch mind-tapped him, if it didn't trigger something the next time he transformed and now Banner has his mind in control of the Hulk's body?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »

do you think that the Hulk was actually PILOTING the Quinjet at the end?  kinda looked like it to me.  I wonder if when the scarlet witch mind-tapped him, if it didn't trigger something the next time he transformed and now Banner has his mind in control of the Hulk's body?

Here's what I thought....

I was under the impression it was on auto pilot - especially since it was already flying on its own when he boarded it.  But your idea could still be true.  It's a great theory.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »

Finally saw this. Was avoiding HR until I went as I didn't want to have to fight the urge to click this damn thread  Grin

Pretty damn fun.

Just some quick points or thoughts

I also didn't think it was "as good" as the first one, but it was just "as fun" and just "as worth seeing".

A little much action going on in parts however. I mean for a second or two it's cool, but when the first Avengers took the time to show the team work as a team and fight as a team, this one, while showing the team work as a team, seemed a little to crowded at times. Protecting the "key", when they are all in the in a circle awaiting all the Ultron Bots, is an example of just too much happening on the screen at on time. It was cool, but so much is lost as you can't look at everything.
 Undecided
Still cool, just have to catch more when I get the DVD  Grin

Not sure I liked Ultrons ... personality. While Jimmy took at as childlike or growing or having a lack of understanding, I took it as trying to be funny. Especially when he chopped of Klaw's arm. His dialog there reminded me of Nichelson's Joker. I still laughed, but that is what bothered me. Should I be laughing at Ultron? Still enjoyed his anger and his humor or growing into his personality didn't bug me enough to ruin him, just ... I don't know.

Also hated to see
Peitro bite it. Sure, he didn't have as cool of a scene as that FOX Quicksilver, but I thought he was much ... MUCH MUCH MUCH better represented
  Undecided

More thoughts later, perhaps.

Still a very good movie. And oh

Here's what I thought....

I was under the impression it was on auto pilot - especially since it was already flying on its own when he boarded it.  But your idea could still be true.  It's a great theory.

I think it was still on AutoPilot, as Widow was asking him to turn it around now.
I also think ... future spoiler? ....
This is where Bruce, after Hulk calms down, finds the tracker, drops it in the ocean and then he heads of to space ... World War Hulk?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 03:14:38 PM »

So I hear that there may be up to 43 additional minutes on the Avengers 2 blu-ray. That is a sweet ass deal. But I was also wondering if we will see, as part of that, a longer Hulk vs the Hulk Buster Armor fight. Maybe some of this gets in?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 05:24:58 PM »

Saw it a second time; only caught on this time that Falcon was talking (during the party) that he was sorry for missing out, but not sorry for missing out on the action, since he was out searching for Steve's missing person.

A reference to the Winter Soldier that I didn't get until the second time. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS