HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:19:35 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: POWERS  (Read 6822 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 11, 2014, 10:58:46 PM »

Coming to Playstation TV (and free for us Playstation Plus members) Brian Bendis' POWERS
(My boy Chalrlie Huston is also involved)

First trailer - HERE

I like the actor playing Christian, but not sure I like him AS Christian, but we'll see.  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 06:52:08 PM »

Looks good!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »

I liked it.....

I figured they would get someone with a bigger frame to play Walker, but maybe it's because I'm so used to Oeming's square framed artstyle....

And Pilgrim is another interesting casting choice.....but again, I already had a pre-conceived idea what she is supposed to look like from reading the comics.....

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »

March 10th

POWERS tv show will air!

Playstation Network!!!!

Be Prepared!!!

Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »

Looks like the first two episodes will be free for PS owners, not just for the Plus members. So if you have a PS, and why the heck wouldn't you, make sure it is fired up so you can see the first couple episodes to see if it is worth hitting up the Plus.
 Smiley Cool

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »

Has anyone seen the first few episodes yet? I have heard they actually put up the first 3 for the launch last night. I am dying to see this damn thing, but got a doctors appt in about another hour so I have to wait a little while.

It seems to be getting decent reviews, except for the Huffington Post and Entertainment Weekly, but the fans seem to like it. I am hoping I will too.

If you want to watch the first episode but are not a member of PSPlus, you can see if you like it HERE. It is the first episode for free, from what I've been told. I haven't tried it yet as I am waiting for my return home to try any of it.

EDIT - Just saw this had an embed code, so here it is if ya just want to take a quick peek
 Wink

Get Adobe Flash player
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:58:29 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »

Only about halfway through the first episode and WOW were there a lot of exposition in the first 5 minutes or so. Jeez! Also, I wish they would have done what Marvel and DC are doing with their costumed heroes. Dialing the color and pizzazz down a tad. The costumes are just ... funny looking. I mean the ones that look great in the comic, just look like a bad cos-play character here. Okay, some look like a good co-splay character
 Grin

Character shifts are also an issue for me here. Going from calm to semi abusive on a dime kinda spoils the moment.

Character/actor chemistry is also a little weak as of now, but hoping that improves

Also I don't like
that everyone in this show already knows that Walker was Diamond. I liked them, and us learning that as we went along in the comics.

Still, getting past the first 15 minutes was the hardest as it seems to be getting better now, but again, only at the halfway mark 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 10:09:43 PM »

So no-one watched the first free episode posted above yet?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 01:05:16 AM »

So still no?  Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 02:57:59 AM »

F*** Bendis.

Well, not THAT emphatically, but I couldn't read past issue 2 of Powers. Drives me crazy to read it. Even worse than anything else he's ever written. Just on that alone I won't even bother with this.

I mean, izombie is a comic based work, but I just don't care on the zombie front.

Hey, all the best to him! Get your success and run with it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 10:56:49 AM »

... I couldn't read past issue 2 of Powers. Drives me crazy to read it. Even worse than anything else he's ever written. Just on that alone I won't even bother with this..

Guess I shouldn't have even tried Arrow as I knew Guggenhiem was involved and I hated everything he had done. I mean, yes in the end it would have saved me time, but ...
 Tongue

Wink

Don't get me wrong, I didn't enjoy it, even though I do love Powers ... well the first time around ... and when it was an actual book he cared enough about to publish monthly ... so up to about issue #7
 Grin

But TV is different than comics and well, nothing else to say I suppose.

G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 03:14:14 AM »

I watched em.....

I like it, but I don't love it.

Some of the special fx look pretty cheesy, and I don't care how they portray Walker as super desperate for his powers back. Jumping off buildings hoping his powers will kick in, and taking drugs just seem so out of character for Walker, but maybe I misinterpreted what drives this character in the comics or forgot about it completely.

I'm about 5 episodes in, and I'm hoping it gets better, cause I really love the comic book.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 03:20:02 AM »

... I couldn't read past issue 2 of Powers. Drives me crazy to read it. Even worse than anything else he's ever written. Just on that alone I won't even bother with this..

Guess I shouldn't have even tried Arrow as I knew Guggenhiem was involved and I hated everything he had done. I mean, yes in the end it would have saved me time, but ...
 Tongue

Wink

I just got there sooner is all. Cheesy

I think we both know enough of my history that I have tried, and have tried, and tried again to keep up with Bendis work, or follow it, or enjoy it-and I simply do not.

To me, watching Powers would be the same thing as watching another Tarentino movie. I have tried, and have tried, and tried again to like his movies. I. do. not. -So I simply will stop.

I SINCERELY hope for fans its good, or what they want, or is something that draws others in. I won't trash it, I won't call it anything, but there is simply no draw for me at all.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS