HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:42:20 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 16575 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 02, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »

Well guys, I done screwed up. Trekkies 2 was on Netflix and as I had never seen it, I figured I would watch it while eating a little bit of lunch. Well, sadly that brought up an urge that I had for so long thought buried and dead. Yes, it has returned.

Wish me well for I am about to commit once more to watching all the Star Trek series back to back to back. This is a feat like no other (except when I attempted it a few years ago Grin). Committing hours, days and months to watching those cheese filled, space operatic television epics can break a man if he is not careful. And how can one remain careful when he is willing to put himself through this to begin with?

I almost made it all the way through the last time I tried this, but I never got to the Animated series. Now some, those that are unwilling or to scared to take the full challenge, may try and say that as long as you complete the five real life Star Trek series you have made it through, but I say no. *ahem* "NO".

To complete the Trek Trek one must watch all six of the official Star Trek television shows PLUS all Twelve movies.

Last time I tried a plan I thought would work and it did, unsuccessfully.  Cheesy I watched them out of order as to not get tired of any series. This time, I am going to try the straight run. Start with TOS episode 1 (The Cage) and go straight through to chronologically to INTO DARKNESS. Hitting the Animated show second will be a difference, but let's see if it will be enough of one to make it through.

And with that ... ENERGIZE !!!!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:00:52 PM »

TOS - 0.1 - THE CAGE

Funny, this is really like watching a totally different show. With the different actors, Spock showing emotion and the very cheap looking credit design it's no wonder. Plus, this show is so scientifically inaccurate that Gene Roddenberry has "meteorites" flying by the Enterprise. At one point, after having asteroids fly by the screen, the Navigator says - "Could be these meteorites" but here's the thing, Meteorites don't exist in space. They get their name by actually landing on the Earths (or perhaps other planets) surface. Asteroids in space = meteorites on the ground. If a high-school drop-out knows this ...
 Wink

EDIT 1 (20 minutes) - Man, I kinda wish, as blasphemous as this is to say, that Jeffery Hunter (Capt. Pike) would have remained on the show and not been replaced by Shatner. Hunter seems to be a better actor. Not sure why I haven't noticed it before, but ... well, maybe it is just too early and he hasn't had too much dialog or need to act yet and I change my mind later.  Grin Also like they use the "Number One" distinction for the second-in-command in this one. Gene's wife did a really good job here in control of the bridge, on her way to later being Nurse Chapel, Deanna Troi's mother and of course the ships computer.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:22:49 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 04:11:51 AM »

good luck Perry...quite the undertaking.

love Trek all its forms (Voyager is the only one i dont completely enjoy). 

there aren't many actors worse than Shatner  Wink  Hes wonderfully over the top in everything he does and its a complete joy.  Hunterr would have given it a much different, more serious tone. 

currently just wrapping up season 2 of DS9, my fav of the series, i just wish i had time to really commit as its taken 2 yrs to get this far  Grin  looking forward to season 3 and especially S4 as thats when Worf joins the crew and we start to get more klingon stories.  love the klingons...really feel that they should be the focus of the next tv series.

Enjoy TOS and let me know how the toons are...i vaguely remember them from thier original run and have never
seen them again.  even back then (i was 5 in 73) i dont remember realy liking it, especially compared to the real show thst i was discovering in reruns.  it was the only show we were allowed to watch during dinner.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »

Yeah, this is gonna take awhile. I didn't even finish the Cage yesterday. Cheesy

And you're spot on, my man. DS9 is the bestest one!!! And I also think Season 4 is where it gets even better.  Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 11:19:16 PM »

And I always wished that I kept up with DS9, but I quit right at, or as of the 4th season beginning. *sighs*

I've always wanted to try this, but I figure I don't have the YEARS it would take me to watch all that Trek. I've always wanted to watch TOS in the background at least (I mean, I've seen plenty eps), but I'd hate to rewatch TNG and find myself....ruining my nostalgic love of the show.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »

I will say this, that whomever was in charge of updating the graphics on these new Star Trek episodes (remastered ... I guess?) did a fantastic job. The oil paintings used for background now are amazing. These are what Lucas should have stopped at.
Luckily Netflix is showing  ... Netflix are showing ... wow, that doesn't sound right either way .... hahaha ... *AHEM* Luckily Netflix HAS the updated ones.
 Cheesy
I remembered the first time I saw the remastered was in the AMOK TIME episode, and what they did with Vulcan compared to the original scenery just blew me away. It looked amazing. Like this scene shown HERE as one example. Lots of scenes like this in the newly remastered versions.

Even the pilot episode that I am watching now, THE CAGE, has a few retouched scenes that make the old 'look' far less dated, while still holding on to its elderly atmosphere.
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 02:48:35 AM »

Man I really want to try this but can't imagine the family going for it. (We only have the one TV)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 12:28:20 AM »

Man I really want to try this but can't imagine the family going for it. (We only have the one TV)

Its not too bad ... unless you have the one TV, but just play them on your computer while you are at your desk "working"
 Grin

Just finished the first episode, just been really busy, but will update than in a few (tomorrow?) and then on to episode 4 ... which like Firefly, was played out of sequence and as episode one with the new cast ... I think that is how it is. The Salt monster was originally the fourth episode ... or third, but the played it first... something like that. HAHA

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »

TOS - 0.1 - THE CAGE (...Cont)

Okay, so I change my mind. I don't find this Captain better than Shatner. The more he acts, the more I find he can't.  Cheesy

There are also a few technical slip-ups in this episode (like when Vina is transformed to an Orion and does her little dance for our Captain Pike, someone forgot to color the bottom of her feet green. She gets on her tip-toes a few times and you can see her natural skin shine like a spotlight  Wink) but still, especially for the time and budget, this was a very well put together hour os sci-fi goodness.

One thing I did notice this time however, and I am shocked I never noticed it before, was the fact the Tolosians had made an image of Pike to go back below the surface with Vina in this episode. I had always thought, for some reason, that the actors got back together for THE MENAGERIE episode to film him happily going down the elevator. Not sure why my mind eliminated that Pike doppelganger from this episode.

How's about a trailer ?!?!?!

Grin

One thing that really bothered me about this episode was that when Vina is revealed to be disfigured and her beauty an illusion, she states the reason as the Tolosians didn't know how to put her back together as they had never seen a human before. Well shit, could they have not at least looked in a mirror and made her face similar to their own?

Bottom line this pilot is still better today than a lot of those being pushed out. And even though I will miss Majal as "number one" (I thought that character was a great part of this episode) I can at least hear her again soon as the ships computer ... in another 80 years or so
 Wink

Star Points - 8 outta 10 Spock smiles
(also gonna try and keep a log on how much "trekking" this show actually does. I mean it's mission was to seek out Strange NEW worlds, yet I remember a lot of revisiting planets and colonies going on. Gonna try and remember to keep a tally of when a world is new  Wink)

SNW - +1

TOS - 1.1 - THE MAN TRAP

Even though this was the "first" Star Trek episode of the on-going show that aired (Sept 8 1966) it is actually the 5th episode in production number (how they are supposed to be watched). Again, like Firefly, episodes were not aired in order originally and you can tell by costumes that suddenly change in the fourth episode, WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE (which should have been the first Star Trek episode aired, after the CAGE pilot, but was actually the third one aired). Confused yet? Well let me stop worrying about when they were aired and when they should have been aired and get on with the episodes themselves !!!

SALT MONSTER !!! That was the name of this episode for me. For years. I had no idea it was any other name and I still like man bestest
 Wink
We start off early in this episode with Kirk being a real dick-head to McCoy. McCoy states that this woman he has not seen in years, looks like a very beautiful woman, not older than 25 (thanks to the Salt Monsters ability to make people see what they want to see). Well our dear Capt puts the kabosh on that by telling McCoy that this girl he sees as a young 25 year old, while being a "handsome woman ... is hardly 25"
 Cheesy
Dick
 Cheesy

Anyway, this episode is almost the perfect Star Trek episode if for nothing else for having that damn alien that no-one could ever forget. That damn thing looked awesome. Part sea-monster, part leech, part Edgar Winter (with that long gray hair ... look him up kids), that will suck the salt from your body until you die!! Hell yeah!!

Spock, still showing a lot of emotion in this episode however. When McCoy will not save Kirk from being sucked on by the Salt Monster (I mean really Bones, I know you love the girl, but ...) and Spock starts yelling at McCoy to shoot the damn thing and then starts beating the shit out of it, I just get all fuzzy inside. This is the Vulcan that will later become an emotional void?

Grin

Just freaking love this episode. Maybe that is why the big wigs aired it first. To show that the damn Salt Monster would stay in my nightmares until I was about 7 and in my memory until I was about 97
 Grin

Star Points - 9 outta 10 women that should marry Ray Rice
SNW - 0 (total = 2 eps -1 Strange New World)

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 06:06:42 PM »

agreed...the "salt-sucker" was horrifying to my younger self and is eternally burned into my memory along with the "kill, crush, destroy" robot from Lost in Space.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 03:51:20 PM »

Man, I forgot all about grading/Rating Star Trek episodes  Undecided Undecided

I popped in to let you guys know I am starting my Trek Trek once again. I have started, this time, with my favorite series of the Trek Universe, Deep Space Nine, though I have skipped ahead out of the first season. I just didn't enjoy that. In fact, I don't think the series really found its legs until season three, right after the Jem'Hadar first made its appearance, so with that, I have decided to choose season three as my starting (or away) point. Well, actually, I started at episode 25 of season two, knowing the Jem'Hadar show up at the end of season two. Plus Sisko finally starts acting into the role around this time and not as damn cold or stoic.

So what are you guys re-watching? X-Files? Buffy? Farscape? Stargate? Stargate was what I was actually thinking about re-watching as it has been years, but it is not on Netflix at this time. I assume Hulu has it, but I am not paid for Hulu and I will not put up with the commercials on the free version. Not for that series (even though I have a fondness for it ... for them).

But how's about you guys? Anything?
(And please let me know if you see Stargate has made its way back to Netflix, if you could?)
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 12:57:54 AM »

Funny you should ask.  I've been making my way through Star Trek Enterprise and am up to 1/2 way through Season 3.

Also, I just arrived in Vegas today for the 50th Anniversary Convention.  Already sat in on the kickoff panel of Trip, Reed, Dr Phlox, and the Vulcan Ambassador.  Can't remember the Vulcans name but he's played by Gary Graham.  GREAT start. Gonna be a fun week.

Also, unlike the Dallas conventions, they have a full bar here - named Quarks Bar.  Funny thing happened to me.  I'm drinking a Heineken while walking around looking at autograph prices when this really hot woman sitting at an empty table says "Is it beer time already?" (It was 4pm).  I laughed and and said "Oh yeah it is." She laughed and we had a fun little moment there.  As I'm walking away I do a double take and realize it's Nicole de Boer; Ezri Dax from Deep Space Nine.  I should have bought her a beer.   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 01:21:09 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 02:11:36 AM »

that's awesome.

I actually started re-watching DS9 about two yrs ago and left off a few eps into season three.  so good timing I will make an attempt to pick it back up

Its kind of funny both TNG & DS9 really start cooking during S3.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 11:19:06 AM »

Its kind of funny both TNG & DS9 really start cooking during S3.

Yeah, you're right.  Smiley huh, I never thought about that but you're dead on. Though I think once they get past that awkward season one, which had some very good stuff ... just clumsy ... it got better. I just look for facial hair on Riker as the point where the show got better.  Cheesy But certainly at season three, just like DS9 as you said, it found its footing.

And for DS9, I just finished 3:7 (Civil Defense). One of my favorites. Where the station (Terok Nor) gets locked down by the computer thinking the Cardassians were still in control. It was especially fun when Gul Dukat, in all his cockiness, gets stuck there as well. (Still not a fan of Jake, but I can deal with him I suppose)
 Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS