HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:27:34 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Covers  (Read 4168 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 26, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »

Look, we all love comics, but man, I REALLY love comic book covers. I mean, without them, I never would have picked up my first comic in the first place Grin They are the eye-grabbing image that pulls our curiosity to the product. A great cover can make you buy a comic. Well, it use to be able to, at least for me. Sadly, covers now (overall) don't have the same power as when I was young. And that is not because I got older and lost the sense of pull they use to have over me. No, today's comic covers just lack that pull I use to sense. Today's covers, again, by in large, just don't grab me like they use to. I'm not sure why.

Though luckily it is not like it was a few years ago when covers were mostly just freaking poses. Ugh. "Look, it is a picture of Batman on top of a gargoyle". Big deal. That comic was not tickling that part of my brain that makes me wonder what is going on inside the pages. I may as well have been looking at a painting. Yes, it's nice, but not intriguing at all.

Covers are suppose to want to make me grab it, touch it, buy it!!!

Wanting to look at some covers of my past I found a nice feature on CBDB that I never used before. The Cover Gallery.

Check it out and find some sweet covers by some of your favorite artist!!

How about some classic Gil Kane Green Lantern? Be sure to check out more pages at the bottom!!
HERE - Look at that issue #61. Incredible work. Just makes ya want to say "WHAT? How did that happen? What did he do?"

Of course my all time fav George Perez has a nice gallery also (again, be sure to check out more pages by clicking the numbers below. All listed alphabetically)
HERE

Well, heck, was gonna post more by the wife just text me and said her flight from Philly is leaving now, so I am off to pick her up at the airport !!! But be sure to check out some more on your own ... and let me know who they were !!!

LONG LIVE COMIC BOOK COVERS !!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »

Was thinking the same thing the other day. A friend of mine got a jump on our conversation and started to go hunting and buying the said covers we were discussing. Iconic covers, once that last generations, ones that actually bespoke the event that occurred withing (This month-someone DIES, 200th issue! , A don't miss read! )

A real recent one that just JUMPS out to me? The All-Star Superman cover where Supes is sitting on a cloud, overlooking a city, but turning back to look at us. I don't know why, but that one really resonates with me, and was the first thing I thought of when trying to recall 'recent' iconic covers.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 11:16:02 PM »

HAHA, man oh man, we truly are almost polar opposites, my man. And don't get me wrong, I find that very enjoyable. But that cover is one of the few Frank Quietly images I just can't stand. And no, not because of the focal point being The Man of Steel. I love Quietly art, but on that cover, he just lost me.

Now with that said, I do understand why it sticks in your head. Composition wise it is a nice piece and you are 101% correct about it being iconic, but something about it just drives me absolutely crazy

I love that we differ so frequently, yet we relate so strongly on the rare occasion when we do agree.
 Grin

You are my Anti-Jeff
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff and I agree so much that it freaks me out when we don't, but for you and I ... it is like ... just cool
 Grin
(Don't get me wrong, it's cool when Jeff and I agree as well)
 Grin Grin Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »

this is one of my all time favorite covers and the 1st one i really remember grabbing me from the convenience store spinner rack.  i had already been reading hulk and spidey at this point but this was my 1st FF and it was all about the cover...and the "Shock Ending"

the final pages of the book were amazing as Hulk hits Thing off a building and he transforms into ben as he falls...tune in next month to find out what happened....it took me 10yrs to find that next issue .
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »

.....so, what happened? Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 04:09:22 PM »

unfortunately that was 20yrs ago and i no longer have the brain cells connected to that issue  Grin
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 06:16:37 PM »

HAHA, man oh man, we truly are almost polar opposites, my man. And don't get me wrong, I find that very enjoyable. But that cover is one of the few Frank Quietly images I just can't stand. And no, not because of the focal point being The Man of Steel. I love Quietly art, but on that cover, he just lost me.

Now with that said, I do understand why it sticks in your head. Composition wise it is a nice piece and you are 101% correct about it being iconic, but something about it just drives me absolutely crazy

I love that we differ so frequently, yet we relate so strongly on the rare occasion when we do agree.
 Grin

I think I like that cover so much because it is...jarring, but yes, I am definitely Bizarro-Perry. Or you are Bizarro-Jim. Grin

I will say that SAGA certainly pushes against the envelopes with their covers at times.

Nothing from recent memories strike me as terribly memorable; nothing from the INFINITY covers or any Avengers ones stand out. I'm trying to remember the recent Nu52 #1s and see if any of those really evoke anything signficant or amazing.

I've been very impressed with Sorrentino's GA covers, as well as Chiang's WW covers too.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 08:56:23 PM »

.....so, what happened? Grin
unfortunately that was 20yrs ago and i no longer have the brain cells connected to that issue  Grin

Cheesy Understand that !!!!!

Allow me  Wink ...

Ben regained human form again, which led to the "hiring" of Luke Cage for the next few issues.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS