HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 06:24:00 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 58129 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2015, 02:20:54 PM »

Honestly, there is no shame about what sites will do to push out the first headline here or there.

I did lose count tracking news sites that would do such things as "You won't believe who won <insert game show here>!" and THEY PUT THE PICTURE OF THE WINNER NEXT TO THE HEADLINE!!!

They commonly spoiled who died on GoT by putting the picture of the deceased next to the headline.

Dear lord, what site are you going to?  Shocked If nothing else, just so I can avoid that news site for ... like ... ever!!! THAT is bullshit. Don't blame ys for being mad or avoiding them. I know Yahoo use to post American Idol losers. hahaha. Though I laugh only because I care not at all for that show. I am sure others that DVR'd it found it less amusing. But they stopped doing that last year ... or a couple years ago.

I know every site wants the clicks, but I don't think that is the best way to get them. HAHA. Unless the goal is to have a ton of angry people on your doorstep.

But then again, the internet is seemingly made for angry people to vent, anonymously, so maybe that is their goal. Just get the clicks?

As for going dark  Grin I hear ya. Like I said, I will avoid Twitter and the like (though I am not a social media type, at all, so that is about the only site of that nature I will avoid. Obviously I won't click any SW links on BC  Cheesy

But again, and I know it is not the case for most people, spoilers kinda hit me weird. Yes I like the not knowing until I "get there" on most things, but sometimes the "surprise" is still a "surprise". Sometimes it matters not if I see it at the time or hear about it before. Just depends on the Spoiler size I guess. (Of course remember, I stop watching shows before they show next weeks stuff, so I am very hypocritical)
 Cheesy Cheesy

I just hope to avoid the major stuff for about a week. Just long enough to get the crowd on a Wednesday morning, at or around 10:15, on a Naval base, down a little more than opening weekend at the Cineplex.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
(I don't expect the "3 people" size that watched Ant-Man with me, but hoping for the "30 people" size that watched Avengers 2 with me)
 Grin Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 03:24:40 AM »

sooooo.....who has seen it?  i saw it this afternoon so i have ended my self imposed 2 day internet exile.  anxious to discuss. 

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2015, 03:47:47 AM »

I also saw it. ..Thursday. ..but I just wanted to let it ruminate fir 3 days or so first. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2015, 04:14:52 AM »

well, this is all i'll say for now in case anyone (i'm looking at you, Perry Grin) is having reservations on whether to go see it or not...i think it is the 2nd best film in the franchise just behind TESB.  JJ really knocked it out of the park.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2015, 12:32:36 AM »

Half way through I sent a fast text to my wife telling her that I felt 12 again. Was just in love with this.

I left with a slightly different feeling, but yeah, we are at least back on track. This new movie washed the horrible taste of Episodes 1 out of my mouth though I still need a pick to remove the memory of Episode 2 (that damn rolling down the hill scene).

The only bad thing I can say, and it's not really bad as much as an easy observation that most will make, sadly, is
that it felt like we've been through this once too many times. Like there was this huge buzzing in my ear that kept saying "Here we go again, another Death Star". Almost like I watched a re-make of Episode 4 ... in a way

Again, nothing to ruin the movie for me but ... ya know?

Having said that, The new cast is one I think I will enjoy seeing for years to come. Loved them all!!!!!  Smiley Great job all around.
 Smiley

Okay, I do want to say more, but I will also wait.  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2015, 02:54:49 AM »

has everyone seen it yet?  speak now....i crave to discuss this movie.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2015, 03:01:11 AM »

has everyone seen it yet?  speak now....i crave to discuss this movie.

Well go ahead, just say you're gonna talk spoilers and spew  Grin If anyone reads past that warning ... well, ya know.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2015, 03:12:41 AM »

i guess i could do it like this....

was anyone else disappointed when Chewie, Rey and Finn got back to the rebal base after Kylo killed Han that it was Rey and NOT Chewie who hugged and consoled Leia?  it leads me to my theory that Rey is actually  a Solo and Kylo's sister.

*whew*  i feel better now.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2015, 03:17:25 AM »

i guess i could do it like this....

was anyone else disappointed when Chewie, Rey and Finn got back to the rebal base after Kylo killed Han that it was Rey and NOT Chewie who hugged and consoled Leia?  it leads me to my theory that Rey is actually  a Solo and Kylo's sister.

*whew*  i feel better now.

Yeah...

I got into a couple of conniption fits. I'm glad Chewie was able to Wookie rage and really wreck some stuff at Han's death. But I wanted a long, mournful, soulful howl at the moon for his loss. A little peeved that Chewie didn't get to be sad.

Then, YEAH, I keep going over whether or not Rey is a twin/sibling to Kylo/Ben. I'm going with not-because that would be utter crap by that point to not tell her. "Oh hey Rey, Leia here. So....I'm your mother, Han was your father...but you never got to realize that because he's dead now. Oh yeah, Kylo there was your brother, but neither of you remember because you were Jedi mind-wiped or something."

<I'm working on my Jedi-mind wipe theory for when I go ballistic and really do my review write up. Gloves are off!!!>

So, eventually, a major SPOILERY talk on TFA when I get to it next!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2015, 04:18:47 AM »

Full spoilers and discussion then!!

So, I totally enjoyed this movie. Had a good, great time with it. But I'm me, and will still be a snark, because, well, it's just me. Wink

I did have to say this after it was over "Does JJ only just remake the really good stuff? This was the Superman Returns of Star Wars movies!" (since Star Trek Into Darkness is a combo of TOS with Khan and Star Trek II. Homages are one thing; direct lifts are another.)

Then again, a direct lift maybe would help people with the transition to a SW movie that didn't have a Skywalker or Vader in it. All uncharted, new, scary territory...so, lets have the evil Empire hunting for sensitive data that is hidden in a cute little, unobtrusive droid that is found by a lonely waif of a teenager on a desert planet that must get the data back to a rebellion via a flight on a Millennium Falcon,. At some point, a star of death will be used to destroy a planet, but this killing planet will be easily taken down by a few people down a trench run. Cool Cool

I joke. I really do. I still enjoyed the hell outta it!

Played the right beats, made me smile, and made me want to see more of the new characters. Finn and Poe's early exuberance in camraderie and friendship was done so well. I immediately wanted to root for both their successes. I thought they went and killed Poe right away! I got pissed!

Through Poe and Finn, you can see that this is a 'modern' made movie. The off the cuff humor (which I'll call Whedonesque; we should all know that) almost didn't seem to fit the framework of a SW movie, but then it did. Because it's a movie.

As much as I loved Poe and Finn, I loved Rey even more. Reading about how hard her first days filming were to seeing the finished project, man, am I impressed. Following her journey, her turmoil, her loss and her hopes; just done so amazingly well. I gush. She deserves it.

Then...we have Han and Chewie. Harrison Ford was SUPERB. He got a genie's wish to channel a younger man and show why so many loved Han the most. He had energy, presence, charisma, and he just owned any scene he was in. Hell, even Chewie was such a great old friend to see again; I felt like I spoke Shyriiwook! They welcomed in, made us feel like at home, and let us know that it's okay to love this movie.

Adam Glass...Kylo Ren. I can't tell if he's a handsome man, or a bit fugly, or just goofy...but man, I couldn't take my eyes off him. I was entranced with his performance. LOL Can't even explain it. Not sexually! But I just wanted to soak up all that he did. I loved the weird thing he did with pounding his wounds at the end of the movie to hurt more to channel the dark side! I assumed that's what he was doing! And I loved his conflict!!

Didn't care for such a CG looking created character in the Supreme Leader Snoak. Way too Gollumy...since he was played by Andy Serkis too!

Maz Kanata was a wonderful little lady creature! So sweet and loveable!

The effects of the Falcon flying; awesome; loved it!

The CGI monster on Han's merchant ship; eh, not as much, but the sequence was hella fun.

I was mad at the theater when they groaned seeing Leia for the first time. When 65 years old you get, look as good you will not!!

So, Ben Kylo Ren was Han and Leia's kid. I kept wanting to see if Rey was a twin/sibling...but it just didn't seem what was meant to be. She's either Luke's kid, or a really special Force adept that Luke kept from Ben's attack on his other students (that they hinted at in the movie). But still...did a Jedi Mind-wipe occur to Rey to keep her on Jakku so she wouldn't leave? Did Kylo get wiped as well? Then again, if she was there for, what, a decade, I can see an adult really not recognizing someone thought lost for 10 years or more....maybe...that's in the telling.

I'm not even upset by Han's death. He had a great movie, and well...even old heroes fall. It helps to transfer the movie along to a new generation.

I think they played all the right notes, kept things a little safe, but gave us so much more that we can readily fall into this new SW universe. I'm so very happy for it. Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2015, 10:07:18 PM »

Just got back from seeing the movie.  I'm still digesting.  I have some minor gripes but overall I liked it.  

Going now to read the spoilers above.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:18:01 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2015, 03:57:22 PM »

going again tomorrow with the kids, my brothers and my parents.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2015, 07:47:04 PM »

My youngest daughter is coming into town and wants to take me, so I will be hitting it again as well. Not sure if she has seen it or not, yet.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2015, 03:42:05 AM »

So after coming down off the percocet*,we all went to see it again yesterday.  

lemme tell ya', i'm a grown ass 42 year old man, and....

i STILL got choked up when Han died.

*see my "christmas eve surprise" post in the HR mega forum, 'natch.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2015, 05:17:41 PM »

lemme tell ya', i'm a grown ass 42 year old man, and....

i STILL got choked up when Han died.

Really? I wish I had that.  Cry I think the way they did it, we knew it was going to happen well before it did. Even before the conversation between the two, you could tell ... yeah ... this is gonna happen. Not that it ruined the moment entirely, but I just didn't get hit with the feels I was hoping for and maybe a more sudden approach would have hit me emotional harder. I wanted the "I am your father" moment there. I wanted the jaw drop "Holy Shit!!" moment and instead I got the Oh, Jabba and his crew were waiting for Leia to unfreeze Han moment. It was kinda expected and just lessened the reaction for me.

I miss him more now than I was saddened by the initial death then
I mean, that's good I guess, that should be the case I suppose.
 Undecided

But
, I also had to go into the movie really pissed at Harrison Ford. I thought what he did on Jimmy Fallon was a total slap in the face of all the fans and I really lost a lot of false respect for him. I mean, dude, I know you are not a fan of the series and all, but you don't have to be an ass about it.
Angry

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS