HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:12:28 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GRAYSON  (Read 9024 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 12, 2014, 01:11:46 AM »

Yes I bitched.
Yes I moaned.
Yes I said this was a stupid idea.
And yes I said I did not want to try this.

Yes I bought issue #1 and now

------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
We have added the following item(s) to your order as requested:

JUN140173 - GRAYSON #2 - $1.79 - 1

Thank you for your business.  We appreciate it!

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Ashley

Discount Comic Book Service
www.dcbservice.com

Angry

Cheesy
Decent art and just enough spy theme to get me into it and just enough of not knowing what I am seeing to keep me intrigued  Cheesy 

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »

I agree.  It had enough to make me want to see where this is going.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »

You can't, Jeff. Ya just can't and HERE's why
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:18:21 PM »

Damn you, Perry.

http://www.herorealm.com/hrboards/index.php?topic=6700.45

DC COMICS
Batman 35
Batman And Robin 35
Batman Eternal 26
Batman Eternal 27
Batman Eternal 28
Batman Eternal 29
Batman Eternal 30
Deathstroke 1
Earth 2 Worlds End 1
Earth 2 Worlds End 2
Earth 2 Worlds End 3
Earth 2 Worlds End 4
Flash 35 - just wrapping up this story arc.

Grayson 3 - ADDED BACK, Damn you Perry
Justice League United Annual 1
Multiversity The Just 1.2
New 52 Futures End 22
New 52 Futures End 23
New 52 Futures End 24
New 52 Futures End 25
New 52 Futures End 26
Red Lanterns 35
Sinestro 6

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 01:07:19 AM »

Cheesy
I thought I was here solely for the purposes of making you go broke. Is that ... no?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 02:49:29 AM »

Finally got to read issue #3 of this. Loved, loved, loved the idea of the character Old Big Gun. Loved his "power"

That aside, the issue was kinda weak all in all, just slight pacing and dialog issues for me. The book sometimes gets lost in its own rudderless direction it seems ... at times, but I hear it comes back around the next issue so I am looking forward to that.

Still enjoying that crisp, clean art though. Really fits the title

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »

Issue #4

Another semi-fun issue that still just leaves me scratching my head a tad. I like that in this issue, Dick was really allowed to "play" and be himself, however the reason why he is even at Spyral is still just a confusing aspect to this story. I mean, I don't mind being a little confused and finding out answers as we go and yes the MAIN reason he is at Spyral has been told to us in issue #1, but it just seems like ... I don't know, I can't explain it but I get the feeling Dick is just ... taking his time and not really working on what he should be working on, I guess? Art is still just beautiful to look at and the dialog is well written, but I think I just need a little bit of movement in this story.

Let's be honest, while this issue allowed us a brief look into Dick being more Nightwing'ish  Grin it was pretty much just an issue that allowed him to jump around and let young girls (too young?) chase after him in a playful manner. I guess more happened, like with the loli-pop, but all I really remember about this issue was -
Girls take half nudes of Dick (man that sounds wrong in so many ways)
Girls follow Dick to get a better look (okay, that sounds even worse)
Dick showcases his acrobatic skills to the girls
Then at the end, Dick and his partner go out in the night and do it again.

Wasn't that the issue?

I know this book can be really good, it was the first 2 issues and the Futures End, and while this one was a little lighter in tone than issue #3, I still feel we need more depth to the goal of this book. It's is almost like saying you are going to show us how to make a fantastic Thanksgiving Feast and then only show clips of you buying the ingredients and the grocery store.
"Oh, celery is on sale this week! SWEET!"
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 06:23:24 AM »

ISSUE #5

Really good self contained story.

I actually kind of like how we are dropped into what is clearly the end of a fight with Midnighter.  Then we get a comic long walk across the desert.  I loved the dialog and tension between Dick and Midnighter.  And we are still left with the mystery of the baby's powers at the end.  Will we ever see her again?  It would not surprise me if we don't.

How is it I've never heard of Tom King before?  He is doing a great job on this series and putting this title as a must read for me every month.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 05:13:26 PM »

How about a quick teaser about the life of Dick Grayson, such as, how does he exist with just dyed hair when the entire world was shown him to be unmasked as Nightwing?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »

Actually it's not even dyed.  He was only blonde for the first issue.   WinkCheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »

Wouldn't that make for a terrible spy? I assume he's not James Bond-ing things by going to balls or galas and pretending to be someone else. What with youtube and myface, everyone could pull up one of the most amazing things ever when the world's communications were taken over to show this singular face. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 10:27:51 PM »

He's infiltrated a spy group called Spyral.  They have technology that blurs the faces of all their agents.  They know who he is but think he is one of them.  Of course he's actually gathering intel on them for Batman.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »

Yeah, I liked how in issue #5
Dick's face blurring tech failed and Midnighter knew who he was.
(good issue by the way)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 08:05:40 PM »

Yeah, I liked how in issue #5
Dick's face blurring tech failed and Midnighter knew who he was.
(good issue by the way)

Yes.  Liked that part too. It's going to make for an interesting dynamic in the future.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 10:01:53 PM »

I really wish they would use "him" more. Have always liked that character.

And start making a little longer arcs. Nothing wrong with the one shot type stories, but it isn't world building and when you are trying to basically start over with a character, for awhile at least, you need more staying power with the stories, I feel. Again, like the one and dones, but time for at least a three issue arc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS