HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:46:23 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: July Previews - Whatcha Gettin'  (Read 21763 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 05, 2014, 12:54:22 AM »

Yeah, the wife gonna kill me this month.  Cheesy And I thought going more trades and HC would help me save money (Well, it would, if I wouldn't keep adding more titles to my pull)
 Cheesy

And no Batman this month as I am not buying the 2D or 3D cover stuff

PREVIEWS #312

MULTIVERSITY THE SOCIETY OF SUPER-HEROES #1

ALL NEW INVADERS #10
SPIDER-MAN 2099 #3
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #6
EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #1 (OF 5)
EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #2 (OF 5)
EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #3 (OF 5)
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #33
FANTASTIC FOUR #10
FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL #1
THOR GOD OF THUNDER #24 (Back Order - Decided I just can't drop this)
THOR GOD OF THUNDER #25
MOON KNIGHT #7 Just waiting to read in Marvel Unlimited

MANHATTAN PROJECTS HC VOL 01 (FINALLY !!!!!!)
MERCENARY SEA TP VOL 01 (So excited for this. Love this Johnny Quest/Doc Savage type stuff)
MOON KNIGHT EPIC COLLECTION TP BAD MOON RISING not looking for glued binding for "keeps"
WAKE HC (Snyder ... yep!!)
SAGA TP VOL 3 HC with all three !!!
WALKING DEAD HC VOL 10 (Another FINALLY)

COPPERHEAD #1 - Thinking about adding this one, but probably will just trade wait
IRON FIST LIVING WEAPON #6 - Will add this if DCBS tells me they have 1-4 in stock Nope
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:04:08 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »

I hear you, perry.  before I added on my extra trades and hardcover stuff, my order was $26.00.

here we go.....

American vampire 2nd cycle #6
walking dead #131
conan the avenger #6
terminator salvation final battle #9
afterlife with archie #7
extinction parade war #3
flash Gordon #6
Godzilla: cataclysm #2
Godzilla rulers of the earth #16
lady zorro #3
star trek #37

would have been nice to stop there, but NOOOOOO then I have to find this stuff....

chronicles of conan vol. 28
Disney mickey mouse box set vol. 5 and 6 hardcover (reprints the mickey mouse newspaper strips by Floyd Gottfredson)

to bring my total to $70.

and that's not to mention what I cut out....MMW thor vol. 5 TPB and walt Disney's uncle scrooge: the 7 cities of gold.
if I had gotten those 2 beauties, my total would have been $102.00

I tell ya", if you are a Disney fan (and especially a fan of the Disney comic stuff from the golden days), fantagraphics has been doing a smash up job of reprinting the classic Carl Barks stuff and those mickey mouse hardcovers like the ones I mention above have been fantastic.  I highly recommend them.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:44:56 PM »

Too true about the Disney stuff, Cow. I can really appreciate them even though I don't get into Disney proper stuff too much. I can appreciate them, especially the Scrooge/Donald stuff, but I was always just a Bugs guy.
 Grin
But let's be honest, Carl Banks is a freaking God!!!
 Smiley
No comparing the Bunny to his ducks.
 Wink
(Can't believe you cut the Seven Cities of Gold ... heehee ... just messing with ya)
 Wink

And I am hitting $118.98 for my total right now, before DCBS adds (potentially) those Iron Fist and Thor issues  Shocked (Maybe I need to swing by the LCS and actually feel one of those EPIC Collections before I commit. I know they are color versions of Essentials, but the paper is suppose to be better. Maybe I should check before drop $20 on it.

(And I will be picking up the HC Collection of Afterlife with Archie.  Smiley)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 02:54:58 AM »

(Can't believe you cut the Seven Cities of Gold ... heehee ... just messing with ya)

I cut it for the same reason I cut the thor MMW.  Fantagraphics almost always resolicits those books many times.  in my copy of Previews this month, they have 5 of the previous uncle scrooge/donald duck hardcovers solicited.  hopefully I can pick it up later this year when it is offered again.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:01:08 PM »

Good plan!!!!
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:15:56 PM »

Spider-man 2099 #3
Hulk #6 (last issue)
Aquaman Vol 5 HC
Green Arrow Vol 5
Hellblazer vol 5,6,7 (finding the earlier ones I missed!)
That's it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 05:17:59 PM »

Hellblazer vol 5,6,7 (finding the earlier ones I missed!)

No need to go too far back. The first issues of the series were ... less than great for me. I can't remember when I tried it again and liked it, but I am pretty sure it was after the first writer (whom I can't even remember) left the book. No idea when that was.

EDIT - Had to check, it was bugging me.  Cheesy Jamie Delano was the writer. Yeah, didn't like his stuff too much. He was around until issue 40, which is a lot more issues than I thought  Shocked. Maybe you will enjoy his stuff more than I did, however for me the title really found its feet with Ennis.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:24:17 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »

Oh yeah, I managed to find the first Ennis volume on the cheap (which is vol 5) and then from there it goes through Ennis (the stuff I'm buying), then Jenkins and Azzarello. The great hey dey of that title! Milligan and Carey were really good too.

Delano...not my favorite. Got the first trade for cheap...then decided to skip ahead to Ennis.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »

Here's what I'm looking at.  I may drop Magneto but haven't decided yet.

DC COMICS
BATMAN ETERNAL #22 
BATMAN ETERNAL #23 
BATMAN ETERNAL #24 
BATMAN ETERNAL #25 
MULTIVERSITY THE SOCIETY OF SUPER-HEROES #1 -  Grant Morrison telling parallel world stories?  Oh yeah.
NEW 52 FUTURES END #18 (WEEKLY) 
NEW 52 FUTURES END #19 (WEEKLY) 
NEW 52 FUTURES END #20 (WEEKLY) 
NEW 52 FUTURES END #21 (WEEKLY) 
And I already pre-ordered all of the 3-D covers for this month.

IMAGE COMICS
Interesting that in this category I'm getting more titles than DC (on a month by month basis)
BLACK SCIENCE #9 (MR) 
EAST OF WEST TP VOL 03 THERE IS NO US 
FADE OUT #2 (MR) 
JUPITERS LEGACY #5
MORNING GLORIES #43 (MR) 
OUTCAST BY KIRKMAN & AZACETA #4 (MR) 
STARLIGHT #6 CVR A CASSADAY (MR) 
TREES #5 (MR) 
VELVET #8 (MR) 
WALKING DEAD #131 (MR) 

MARVEL COMICS
ALL NEW INVADERS #10 
ALL NEW X-MEN #32 
AXIS #1 - haven't hear a lot on this but the title is a good hook.
FANTASTIC FOUR #10 
FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL #1 
GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #19 
INHUMAN #6 
MAGNETO #10 - might drop
MAGNETO #9  - might drop
MOON KNIGHT #7 
SHE-HULK #8 
THOR GOD OF THUNDER #25 
UNCANNY AVENGERS #24 

VALIANT COMICS
ARMOR HUNTERS #4 (OF 4)
ARMOR HUNTERS BLOODSHOT #3 (OF 3)
ARMOR HUNTERS HARBINGER #3 (OF 3)
UNITY #11 REG ALLEN (AH) 
X-O MANOWAR #29 REG CAFU (AH) 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »

Grant Morrison telling parallel world stories?  Oh yeah.

(Had to double check you picked up last months also.  Smiley)

IMAGE COMICS
Interesting that in this category I'm getting more titles than DC (on a month by month basis)

Yep. Glad to see the 'creators' getting more of the lions share.

And on a sideways note - Also glad that Marvel worked out a deal with Soule and Stegman to get credit for the characters they create in the Inhuman title. Started with #5 we should start seeing some or those. Although this title has suffered from delays ... with more to come ... I can see this title being what THE NEW MUTANTS was all those years ago. Just with the way this title started, it will take a lot of work and luck to come back from the early damage done to it.

AXIS #1 - haven't hear a lot on this but the title is a good hook.

From what I understand
AXIS will be an event that turns all the heroes into villains and all the villains into heroes. I like it in that it reminds of something that would come out of the experimental 1970's Marvel, but that means I am also very concerned about it as well

Also, as far as buying events ... still kinda surprised you're not on the Spidey event that is around the corner. I know Ramos is far from your favorite, but with more writers coming in to tell the stories and Ramos not being on all of them  Grin, I am wondering if his art is the only thing that is keeping you away from this "Every Spider-Man in the history of Spider-Men" story.

This image just gets my Spider-Fan self all excited.
CLICK

I mean, Peter Porker is gonna make an appearance in this for bacon's sake!
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 06:10:12 PM »

I mean, Peter Porker is gonna make an appearance in this for bacon's sake!
 Cheesy

I just loved the line, 'for bacon's sake!'

But I won't put money towards it either. Sad

I just don't believe in it...right now. OH, and I still hate Ramos' art.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 06:56:05 PM »

I just don't believe in it...right now.

That's cool, but I don't understand what there is to believe in? Are you just saying you don't believe in Slott to produce a good event? Or is it that idea of the story? (I don't know what the central idea is yet so I can't say for sure if that is what you mean). Hell, maybe you mean something else altogether?

I can get just not wanting to throw money on an yet another event, and if that is what you mean, I can understand ... but after what Slott did with Doc Oc, something you enjoyed very much, I'm just not sure why you would feel you don't believe in it as an event.

Me puzzled, sir. Why no believe?
 Smiley

(Maybe just a feeling? If so, like I said at the beginning, that's cool)
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »

I can get just not wanting to throw money on an yet another event, and if that is what you mean, I can understand ...

I think you can just stop right there.  Wink

I mean, can it be cool to see Spider-men from all over? Sure. Although, in my mind structure, I don't always care for time/dimension hopping stories that star Spider-man. At least, with Spidey in the dead center of it. I feel the same about Batman.

Although... if it does end up really cool, I can always buy it in trade after I read it on Unlimited. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 03:33:53 AM »

I tend to get spider only in trade or digital.  I just recently picked up all the Superior Spider-Man issues for 99 cents each on comixology.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »

In case you missed it, Jeff, AXIS has been canceled, will be renamed AVENGERS and X-MEN AXIS and will be re-solicited in another month or two. That is what I heard ... but it was yesterday and now I can't remember where I saw it.
 Undecided

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS