HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:34:35 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Byrne's Spidey  (Read 8320 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 04, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »

So anyone ever read the Amazing Spider-Man that Byrne did back in '99? Not sure if it is considered vol 2 of Amazing or what, but I know he did a series ... and that is about all I remember.  Grin Just started thinking that I have never read those ... 15 or 20 issues he did (no idea how many, but I know it was under two years) ... and was wondering if they were worth tracking down.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »

Here's what I found:

In late 1998, Byrne became writer of the flagship series, The Amazing Spider-Man, at the end of the series with issue #440, by which time Marvel had decided to relaunch the book. The "last" issue of The Amazing Spider-Man was #441 (November 1998), with Marvel re-initiating the series with a new issue #1 (Jan. 1999) with Howard Mackie as writer and Byrne as penciler.  Byrne penciled issues #1–18 (from 1999 to 2000) and wrote #13–14.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »

Cool, thanks, but do you know if it's good? Kinda want to see some Byrne art and I've been in a Spidey mood for about a week or two (Either due to the movie release or Parker's return to the comics) and thought this may be a good way to kill two birds with one spider, so to speak.

However, if it is bad Byrne story-telling, I will just have to move on. I just can't believe I've never read it. I guess I was still out of comics during that time or at least out of Spidey, but still seems like something I should have backtracked on and read.

Anyone read it?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 02:28:27 AM »

Pass on it.

Byrne's art looked derivative. Honestly, it looked like it was inked with a thick as your hand-grip black Crayola.

Although, my perspective was off-colored, as the series was restarted, the baby went away, and that hag Aunt May came back. I just thought it was very poor, even as I try to be objective about it. The book and character really stalled for these 2-3 years as they really tried to appease people while also trying to distance themselves from their screw up and push their 'new' Spider-man direction.

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 04:23:24 AM »

Pass on it.

Byrne's art looked derivative. Honestly, it looked like it was inked with a thick as your hand-grip black Crayola.

Although, my perspective was off-colored, as the series was restarted, the baby went away, and that hag Aunt May came back. I just thought it was very poor, even as I try to be objective about it. The book and character really stalled for these 2-3 years as they really tried to appease people while also trying to distance themselves from their screw up and push their 'new' Spider-man direction.

+1

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »

Wow, okay then  Cheesy

With that, I will cease my plans and retract all thoughts of reading this title.  Grin

Thanks

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 03:16:29 AM »

if you want some good spidey from that time, i suggest Peter Parker: Spider-man by Jenkins and Buckingham...very good stuff.  Starting with issue 20
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 11:20:39 AM »

Cool, thanks. I will see what I can find. The first 19 issues not so good?

Oh ... And ... welcome back, buddy!!!  Smiley

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »

the 1st 19 are by Mackie and Romita Jr...JR is in better form than current stuff that I know you don't like but Mackie writing is subpar and ties in with the first 20 issues of amazing
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 04:57:43 PM »

thanks for the welcome back...i've been here lurking just limited time to actually post.

I will try to pick it up  Wink
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »

thanks for the welcome back...i've been here lurking just limited time to actually post.

Understand that. Hell, I am home all the time and still struggle with that.
 Cheesy

I will try to pick it up  Wink

Always a joy to see ya.

And thanks for the answer on the 1-19  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS