HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:52:04 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SECRET ORIGINS  (Read 5602 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 23, 2014, 11:58:17 AM »

So Secret Origins #1 drops today, I am waiting to see if my boy Dave grabs it so I can look at it or do I have to hit the LCS, but is anyone other than Jeff, who I think pre-ordered it, snatching this up?

If so, did DC change any of the character's origins in here. Tweek it even? Was it worth the pull? I mean was it a story involved in each origin or was this just a fattened out WHO'S WHO type of book? I doubt that as it only has a couple or three characters in it ... right?

If it comes down to it, do I even need to hit the LCS to read this or is this just best as Wikipedia fare?

More curious on issue #2 as I think it has Batman in it, and really wondering how "New" they can make his origin, if they try at all.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:49:48 PM »

I only ordered issue #2.  It has Batman, Aquaman, and Starfire in it and I thought that might be a fun read.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:45:23 PM »

I might pick these up if I seem them in the 50-cent bin down the road. But otherwise, $3.99 isn't worth it to re-read origins we all know by heart.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:53:56 PM »

I did a great Byrne read of the first issue. Not. Worth. It.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 12:55:02 AM »

Oh, sorry Jeff, I knew I seen the title on one of your pulls and just thought ... No, I assumed didn't I  Cheesy ... that it was the first one you tried Smiley

And hell, I think this was one of those larger page count, higher priced book, right? Or am I thinking of something else? Either way, you saying it is not worth it is a good enough reason for me to not head to the LCS to just do the same thing you did, Jimmy
 Grin
Is it the same exact origins this time around though or did the "new" in the 52 make some stupid change? Or did you even hang in long enough to tell?
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 01:38:43 AM »

Not a bad assumption knowing my track history!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 03:12:11 AM »

There's nothing specific, grand, or re-imagining of any of the tellings they put into the first issue. And at $4.99, I'm sick of reading the same origin story again...and again...and again....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 07:33:29 AM »

Not a bad assumption knowing my track history!

Grin

There's nothing specific, grand, or re-imagining of any of the tellings they put into the first issue. And at $4.99, I'm sick of reading the same origin story again...and again...and again....

Oh yeah, doesn't sound good at all. Thanks for the save.

Who is this geared for I wonder? I mean at $5 it is not likely to pull anyone new in that needs the information. Hell, just throw some reprint material in there and charge $1 or so and see if you can grab a new reader. Though I suppose with the new looks that may be hard to do now as the reprint material is "outdated".

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS