HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:03:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazon.com acquires Comixology!  (Read 4787 times)
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« on: April 10, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »

Game changer?  Good for comic publishers?  Good for consumer?  Good for Amazon?

This has me interested.  I'm partially sold on Amazon Prime Instant Video and Amazon Prime service.......For the right price, I might have to get a Kindle for digital comic reading and I'll complete the set.

SEATTLE—April 10, 2014—(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon.com today announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire comiXology, the company that revolutionized the digital comics reading experience with their immersive Guided View technology and makes discovering, buying, and reading comic books and graphic novels easier and more fun than ever before.

“ComiXology’s mission is to spread the love of comics and graphic novels in all forms,” said David Steinberger, co-founder and CEO of comiXology. “There is no better home for comiXology than Amazon to see this vision through. Working together, we look to accelerate a new age for comic books and graphic novels.”

“Amazon and comiXology share a passion for reinventing reading in a digital world,” said David Naggar, Amazon Vice President, Content Acquisition and Independent Publishing. “We’ve long admired the passion comiXology brings to changing the way we buy and read comics and graphic novels. We look forward to investing in the business, growing the team, and together, bringing comics and graphic novels to even more readers.”

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »

Was only a matter of time. A super-smart move for Comixology and one that made the initial investors very happy. I personally just don't see Marvel or DC staying with (IE: Paying for) Comixology to carry their books. I think they will revert to all in house before too much longer. Smart move to sell now, before that even gets a chance of gaining traction.

And for going Kindle ... keep in mind that they do not have access to Google play (or of course Apple) so be sure you are okay with that before buying a Fire  Wink I just use my Kindle as a reader (as that is all it is  Cheesy) but hear of people that were pissed thinking getting a Amazon/kindle tablet was going to be like getting an Ipad or a Google one like Samsung's Galaxy or Google's Nexus.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »

Until the day they stop printing comics on paper, it doesn't affect me any.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »

What timing.  I've only been testing the waters with Comixology for a month now and am enjoying taking comics "on the go" with my iPad.  I'm also an Amazon Prime member so if this makes it cheaper for me I'm in!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 12:52:02 AM »

I'm also an Amazon Prime member so if this makes it cheaper for me I'm in!

Can't see that happening, at least enough that I would jump in, but please let us know if it does  Cool

Edit -  Of course I didn't think how this could impact Apple purchases ... are Amazon and Apple on good terms?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:00:19 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 03:36:28 AM »

I would think so.  There's a kindle app on the iPad so you can read all of you amazon books there.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 04:13:28 AM »

I would think so.  There's a kindle app on the iPad so you can read all of you amazon books there.

Yeah, but wasn't Apple charging Comixology their typical fee for being in the Apple store? Won't they (if they were) try the same thing with Amazon? But with Amazon now owning Comixology, different than having books you don't own be on Apple, try an avoid the fees?

Again, this is all speculation on my part that Apple was receiving money from someone in the first place.  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS