HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 11:07:06 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mailing question!  (Read 8899 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: March 21, 2014, 12:08:27 AM »

Can you or can you not mail comics as media mail? My postmaster just opened one of my shipments saw comics, and I got the letter saying "no, bad boy."

What up with that??

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:27:41 AM »

I ship comics ALL THE TIME using media mail, and never had a problem. However, learning of your post, I just asked the wife and she says, technically no, they are not allowed. She says the reason they are not allowed as "media mail" is they contain advertisements. I even asked her about magazines and she said the same thing. "Nope. They have ads"

She also doesn't agree with that "rule" as older books have ads in them all the time but they allow those it seems.

Sorry you got "pulled over for it", my man. I never even gave it any thought.

It's not going to stop me, but man, that sucks if they are cracking down on that  Undecided Damn assholes.

Did you use Ebay printed postage? I wonder if they are using that as a trigger? Another PO close by?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 01:12:39 AM »

I've been specifically told comics and magazines do not qualify for media mail due to the ads.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:27:48 AM »

Yeah, I've been using the ebay media mail postage. However, I had a large shipment go out, and sent that one through workers at the desk. I'm going to reread my warning letter and see what happens if I get caught again.  Grin

By the by, damned stupid that comic books aren't counted in there.

Jimmy T since 2001
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 03:29:06 AM »

It's a crap shoot.....I send the majority of the comics I sell via media mail unless it's a valuable book which most buyers are happy to pay extra for priority shipping in a larger box.

I'd say like out of 100 shipments, one will get snagged and inspected.  I've been caught several times with no real repercussions.......just my books mailed back to me.

I'd say continue shipping media mail, and plead ignorance if you get popped again!  Grin

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 03:33:47 AM »

I wonder if Graphic Novels count for Media Mail since they cite ads as the issue.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 04:32:24 AM »

I wonder if Graphic Novels count for Media Mail since they cite ads as the issue.

I was reading (extensively) through the ebay forums on this. Some postmasters will state that yes, they are books, and others will point to the 'ads' in the back of the trade hawking further trades. So, again, a crapshoot.

I figure I'll use the P.O. in my own town now; a bit of an aggravating drive, but then I'll go back after a month or so to the other place and see if it happens again. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 02:58:16 AM »

I use the eBay shipping labels and drop them in the package box at the post office.  I used to go to the desk all the time and never got questioned.

I take tact back I was questioned once and I told him they were vintage comics and therefore the ads were too old. He bought it and let it go.  But that's was only once.

I'd just keep using it and not worry about it but that's just me.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS