HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 04:44:06 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Future's End  (Read 16537 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »

Read issue 4 yesterday and I'm still engaged.  Hard to pass judgement yet since it's still early in the story.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »

Read issue 4 yesterday and I'm still engaged.  Hard to pass judgement yet since it's still early in the story.

I won't lie; I'm kinda hoping to be finding lots of this and to read a hopefully engaging future story that will eventually give hints as to how DC may change...again....

I mean, it's only the first 7 weeks of 50 issues, right? Gotta grow and breathe, I think.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 03:48:04 AM »

ISSUE #31

We're now over halfway through and so far I'm still engaged.  This issue is the start of what I assume is the final arc.  A lot of plot lines wrapped up last issue and at the moment all seems good.  But I expect that this is the calm before the storm.

Highlights from this issue.

Cadmus and the Earth 2 Heroes.
It seems this plot line is wrapped up with a bow.  Cadmus and the OMACS are defeated.  The Earth 2 heroes are now free although we lost Powergirl, Big Barda, and Red Tornado in the battle.  Emiko has taken over as Green Arrow and the Earth 2 Oliver Queen remains as Red Arrow.  We also find that our Oliver Queen is now retired to the Green Arrow island and apparently let's his friend Animal Man and family vacation there with him.  Looks like Ollie's story is wrapped up.  There is also a scene with Faraday touring the remains of Cadmus island.  Something tells me we haven't seen the last of the OMACs.

Superman and Constatine.
Still not sure where this is going other than a battle with Brainiac.  I suspect this future battle with Brainiac will be the big ending and we will start to see a convergence of the remaining plots and heroes.

Firestorm.
The ending of the Yamazake storyline actually just became the beginning of the new Firestorm.  We saw Ronnie Raymond die last issue saving Tim Drakes new girlfriend Madison. Unfortunately the corresponding explosion merged Madison with Jason Rusch and now we have a female Firestorm.  This arc starts the exploration of the new merge and Madison's dealing with it.  They can't split apart which is the first problem.  We also get a glimpse of Ronnie's funeral and Jason's Dad gives a nice speech.  I have to say I like the female Firestorm and would like to see more of her after this.  Unfortunately since this takes place 5 years in the future it won't be likely.  The issue ends with Tim holding Madison's necklace, thinking she is dead.  Madison decides to let him keep thinking she is dead.

All in all a nice wrap up of all of last issues big events and a hint of things to come.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 04:40:49 AM »

ISSUE #32

More beginnings for the next arc me thinks.  Here's the highlights.

Batman Beyond, Plastique, Mr. Terrific, and Bruce Wayne.
Looks like Brother Eye is still around and "helping" Terry market his new Uspheres.  Bruce wants to buy the tech and keep it from the general public.  Terrific clearly isn't selling.  Meanwhile Plastique is taking Batman Beyond out for his first ever slice of pizza.  Because I guess even when you travel back in time, you know, you still gotta eat.  Interesting budding romance here.

Cole, Lana, and Fifty Sue.
Another setup scene with Cole and Lana at the Earth Registration Authority getting Cole his new ID.  In order to avoid 6 months in custody, they pretend to be married.  That's the gist of these three pages.  I guess after all they went through on Cadmus they are due a little lite hearted down time.  Fifty Sue, on the other hand, is hiding out on Cadmus island mourning the death of Deathstroke.  She has his mask and eventually decides to don the mask and focuses her hate on Brother Eye.  She's gunning for him.  Fifty Sue is another new character that I like.  One page this issue just isn't enough for me.   Smiley

Firestorm.
Ah ha.  So it looks like Yamazake didn't die after all.  Instead his body turned to energy and he has to build a containment suit.  His paranoia gets worse as he now believes the Justice League sent Jason to destroy his teleporter.  With the big splash page of him in his containment suit I got the impression I was supposed to recognize him.  I did not so if anyone knows if he is supposed to be someone we know from the old universe let me know.  We get another one page glimpse of the new Firestorm trying to figure out how to split apart with no luck.

S.H.A.D.E. (The Atom, Frankenstein, Lady Amethyst, Black Adam, Hawkman, and the Engineer)
Big ending has the team returning to Earth after their escape from Brainiac only to be intercepted by S.H.A.D.E. and Father Time (in the form of a young girl kind of like Fifty Sue).  For some reason they decide to demand that the team turn over the Engineer to them rather than just explain why they need her help.  Hawkman of course isn't going to take that and Father Time releases his/her other monsters.  Giving us a big reveal of......wait for it......Godzilla?  This is the subplot I don't really care for.  Which is a shame since I like the grouping of heroes.

A question.
I'm guessing that Brother Eye, the OMACs, Brainiac, and the Uspheres will all come together some how as the big bad for the end. Anyone have any guesses how this will happen?

Another setup issue with the remaining characters for the final arc.  Since Fifty Sue is on the cover of the next issue I'm hoping things will pick up on the action front.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »

Okay, I think I've convinced myself enough to say "ah, the hell with it, lets get the trades and enjoy a future story!" Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »

It's a fun read.  It's not epic like "52" was but I'm enjoying it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 05:21:04 AM »

ISSUE #33

The action starts to pick back up this issue so that is good.  Here are my thoughts on the highlights.

S.H.A.D.E. and Stormwatch.
Thank god the Godzilla looking thing didn't last past the third page.  Loved how Black Adam just basically said Eff this and killed it in one panel.  They do explain why S.H.A.D.E. wants to capture the Engineer since she had been under the control of Brainiac.  Then the Atom goes down Father Time's throat and eventually makes it the brain where he sees Father Times true form.  So I guess he is some type of symbiot living on others brains?  Weird.

Fifty Sue.
Faraday and Rock send Fifty Sue on a mission to pick up a top DNA researcher.  Yes.  My girl is back.  Seeing her show up in that little body and giant Deathstroke helmet just cracked me up.  And of course she just happens to be at the same motel as Cole's nerdy friend.  She catches him on the phone with Grifter and when she takes the phone and just says "Why didn't you call me first?"......Grifters reaction is classic.   Cheesy

Batman Beyond and Plastique.
BB and Plastique basically are just sitting around talking while BB's computer Alfred scans the city for Brother Eye.  While they are talking we see an energy beam zipping through the city before it finally enters into the robotic Plastique body being stored at Terrifitech.

Firestorm.
Madison and Jason decide to go back to the lab where the accident happened to see if they can figure out a way to separate from the Firestorm merge.  When they get their they run into Yamazake in his big purple suit.  Now I get it.  He is the new 52's Doctor Polaris.  I had forgotten all about this villain and I used to love him.  Can't wait to see how this will play out.

Pretty good issue and great double page spread at the beginning.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 05:57:01 AM »

ISSUE #34

The action picks up speed and my girl Fifty Sue does not disappoint.

Firestorm
This issue picks up with Doctor Polaris attacking Firestorm.  Great battle ensues as Madison still doesn't know how to use her powers.  You can hear the frustration in Jason's voice as he tries to explain what she needs to do.  Her inexperience eventually does her in when she turns a semi-truck into a giant teddy bear.  Which crushes her.  I chuckled.  This battle will pick up next issue I assume.  I like the art on this fight and both Polaris and Firestorms colors pop out of the page.

S.H.A.D.E and Stormwatch
Atom battles the Father Time brain thingy while Frankenstein, Lady Amethyst, Hawkman, the Engineer, and Black Adam watch the outer body of Father Time basically turning into goo.  The Atom comes out with the Father Time (the brain alien) in tow.  Before they can begin interrogating Father Time, a lone soldier gets up and shoots Frankenstein in the back. The scene ends with Frank supposedly dieing in Amethyst's arms.  Can Frankenstein really die? 

Fifty Sue, Grifter, Lana, and Voodoo
Faraday and Rock send Cole's nerdy friend (I can't find his name anywhere) to get Voodoo and her team of girl bad asses.  He explains to the team that he needs them to retrieve a vault from the bottom of the ocean near Cadmus island.  The vault has the DNA from the Earth-2 heroes.  Best part of this scene is when the DNA researcher is being snippy with Fifty Sue because he knows Faraday won't let kill him.  So instead she just disintegrates his hand. Ouch.  Very nice touch.

Batman Beyond and Plastique
This storyline is starting to pick up.  Batman Beyond's computer Alfred thinks he's found Brother Eye but then immediately starts to degrade as his system has been breached.  We see our Batman eavesdropping.  Cut to the future where Brother Eye is teleporting the merged Batman/Joker OMAC back in time to stop Batman Beyond from destroying him.  Very Terminator like.  The issue ends with the Bat/Joke OMAC appearing inside the building with Plastique.

Another good issue.  Can't wait to see these story lines cross.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 03:52:45 PM »

Need to hit up my boy Dave for this ... I can't remember if he got this or not. Not hitting the spoilers you marked, but I did see where you said it is not as epic as 52. Would you say it is worth the time to read for a guy that is not a "DC" guy? Should I grab the issues if he has them?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »

I would say yes pick it up.  Since it takes place 5 years in the future everyone has to relearn the characters for where they are here.  No previous knowledge required.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »

Sweet.

I'm not "unkowledgable" (like that is a word, ha) about most DC characters, but just not what I would call "current" on my knowledge of most of the little things that make a character special. If you get me? Sometimes that can be essential to understanding why some characters do or say certain things that may or may not effect the story. If you also get that? HAHA
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 08:20:14 PM »

Lol.  Yeah I think I got that.   Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 03:19:15 AM »

Wait a minute. Is issue 48 the end of the story?  WTF?Huh

Anyone else have any insight?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »

Yep, 48 is the end. Convergence was the end point for both this title and the the Earth 2 weekly that ran only 26 issues. Batman Eternal was suppose to use Convergence as just a pause point; restarting sometime after Convergence was over, but now I think they (DC) may have changed their mind and 52 will/may be the last issue.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 03:55:30 AM »

Really disappointed with that.  After 48 issues I feel like I deserved a better payoff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS