HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 02:07:09 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: JOKER's DAUGHTER  (Read 4586 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 11, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »

ONE SHOT ... (ISSUE #1?)  Smiley

First off, kudos to DC for this creative team line-up:

Marguerite Bennett - Writer
Meghan Hetrick - Artist
Michelle Madsen - Colorist
Saidi Temofonte - Letterer
Katie Kubert - Editor

See anything special there? How about an all female cast of creators!!! Very cool.

Okay, but how did this all female team do? Better than I thought they would. Well, that came out more like I didn't expect these "women" to create a good book, but that is not what I meant. I mean this title ... this issue was better than I ever thought it would be or could be even.

Writing wise, we get an interesting look at a very disturbed girl. Yes there are images in here that seem a little over the top, but as this girl has the problems she has, I find it really fits the character well. Another thing the writer does well here is show our main character developing as the issue goes. We "grow" with her as she explores this "being" she wants to be ... needs to be. Again, did not expect to even care about this character, but came away more interested than I thought possible.

Art wise ... well ... first off, it fits perfectly. Lots of lines leads to a sketchy look. A look that doesn't seem "tight" and that is perfect for this issue. Minimizing the structure works best when describing a character with flawed morals or those bordering on insanity (traits of this character) and it really works here. I can however see where this style or look may not be for everyone, but I hope those that are not a fan of the "look" will at least understand how it ties into this book very well.

Colors are dark yet at the same time bright which showcases the various sides of this character, while the letters are also of a style that fits into the mental state of this character.

All other props go to the editor to putting this team together and giving the "okay" to this title.

I am giving this a bonus point for taking a title I had no interest in and making me not only like the issue, but really appreciate it. So please understand that when you go into shock with the grading below.  Grin

8 outta 10 - "I feel pretty, oh so pretty"s
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:07:28 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »

I read the 3D villain comic Joker's Daughter and didn't connect with the character at all.  This one's not for me.

Glad you like it though.   Wink

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:32:04 PM »

I read the 3D villain comic Joker's Daughter and didn't connect with the character at all.  This one's not for me.

Oh no. Totally different.

I also hated, despised that issue. This is nothing like that in anyway, shape or form.

Character is shown totally different as is every other aspect I can think of  Cheesy

Not saying you should rush out and grab this, but it was indeed a well done issue that you should think about reading at some point. This issue was something that other one, written by Ann Nocenti (which apparently means "I can't write at all any longer" in some language), was not even close to. If this issue woud have been the 3D issue, DC would have received a lot of praise for it.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:20:24 PM »

Cool to have found something then!

I think the endeavor I look forward to is, 'Lois Lane.'

Hope that's a keeper by Maguerite.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »

Oh no. Totally different.

I also hated, despised that issue. This is nothing like that in anyway, shape or form.

Character is shown totally different as is every other aspect I can think of  Cheesy

Not saying you should rush out and grab this, but it was indeed a well done issue that you should think about reading at some point. This issue was something that other one, written by Ann Nocenti (which apparently means "I can't write at all any longer" in some language), was not even close to. If this issue woud have been the 3D issue, DC would have received a lot of praise for it.

That's good to know.  I probably won't add it anytime soon but glad it has a better creative team.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:27:30 PM »

That's good to know.  I probably won't add it anytime soon but glad it has a better creative team.

Yep, almost an entirely different character. This is more like a Joker 2.0 ... kinda ... compared to that mess that we were shown in that dreadful 3D issue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS