HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:06:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Never Ending Stoies  (Read 4575 times)
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« on: January 19, 2014, 01:12:21 AM »

Hello,

I am just curious. As comic book fans, how often have you desired one adventure or story in a comic last for months on end or over a year? I ask this as we have Forever Evil foing on for months while most books churn on as if nothing in the event has taken place or Uncanny Avengers with the long Kang story. I always wonder if the writer really needs that much time to hash out an idea before mobing to the next story or plot point.

Anywho-- any who longs for these type of multi-issue adventures for 6 months to a year of more?

On a side note-- Forever Evil running simultaneously while the rest of the books proceeding independent of the event is a great example of how the pre-new 52 could easily exist alongside this new 52.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 04:23:43 PM »

I don't mind the long plan.

When looking at Remender's Uncanny Avengers, he's still following his storyline that he begin in a Secret Avengers, carried to X-force, Uncanny X-force, and now to Uncanny Avengers. While it is not purely derived that 'read the prior to follow the whole!', it is a continual build on his story/continuity. I for one, am enjoying this completely.

Is that kind of story easier with team books, that focus only on inter-personal reactions and lifestyle, versus a hero's private life? For sure. Superior Spider-man, while under the luxury of twice a month shipping, seems at times to tell a cool Marvel hero story, while also spinning it's wheels as it slowly gains traction for it's next big thing.

While both do not subscribe to the 6 month checklist of story, rising hook, conclusion (well that's checked off; NEXT), there are times where I do want a larger picture solidified.

As much as I hate him, and really don't overall care for a reread of his run ever, Bendis Daredevil was I think properly done. Everything was put into the same pot, stewed together, more ingredients were added, but the same stew kept being made until it was just right.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 05:13:56 PM »

I don't think they need the six month storyline.  They just do it for the TPB.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »

I don't think they need the six month storyline.  They just do it for the TPB.

I hate this more than anything. The pandering for trades.  Blech.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »

I think a lot of writers are actually getting away from that as they realize that trades do not have to be 6 issue arcs. Superior is a great example of that as Slott has written arcs that are 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 issues long. Same with Jason Aaron and a few other writers.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:24:34 AM »

Great feedback. Just not sure I've ever enjoyed a story that went on for more than six issues in an ongoing series without always feeling the people behind the book were stringing me along for money with a story even they knew was too long.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS