HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:01:47 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: INVADERS  (Read 6480 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 17, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »

Yep, I am now officially pumped for this series ...

PREVIEW

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:50:07 AM »

I already was.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:01:49 PM »

Yeah, but I am not the fan of Robinson's writing that you are  Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »

Yeah, but I am not the fan of Robinson's writing that you are  Wink

I am a fan of his. But I'm actually more excited due to the characters. Whenever I run across an old Invaders back-issue, it always delivers with great action.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:31:32 PM »

As much as I love those old issues (If you are talking the true old issues and not the 90's version Grin) I just remember that horrid Frank Robbins art and just cringe. Still, even with that, I do miss those books. But I am a huge WWII story based comic whore also.
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »

ISSUE #1

Well, Kinda of what I thought this would be like. Me wanting it to be more than it was. I wanted greatness, I got a book that was okay.

Robinson's love for the old characters is evident, which is great, but sometimes that "love of old" translates into his dialog or captions being in the tone and style of the Silver Age. It's like reading a '60's comic. His tendency to be overly descriptive is like reading Stan Lee scripts back in the day. Over explaining what is happening in the panel instead of allowing (or trusting) us to get there on our own, while at other times, just trying to be too poetic. Things like -

"The thing about this memory ... apart from it being new, I mean ... it's different in another way too. It's like I'm actually here, woven into the fabric of what's happening like a tapestry. Wait, not just me... Sub Mariner too. He's here. The Namor from the present looking on with me somehow."

Ugh.

That part of Robinson's writing just drives me insane. He also almost forces the past on us too quickly in an effort to get us (or those that do not know) up to speed on certain characters past (almost all of one characters powers and history in one panel), while totally glossing over the event that just transpired recently with the main character of this issue.

He mentions, or has Jim Hammond ... the android Human Torch, describe how recently the A.I.s he encountered thought of him as one of their own, but for humanity, he made them burn. That's it. Doesn't go into anything further detail about what he meant by that. For those not in the know, in Secret Avengers, a bunch of androids, including Hammond, tried to take over the human race or some-such and he put a stop to it after he thought about it ... basically ... that may be a total over simplification of events but that is more info than ya get out of this comic. I mean, if you're gonna bring it up, be a little more clear about it, right? Nope. Not here. Just a bunch of androids thought of me as one of them and I screwed them. That's what we get.

Now it's not all slop and retro, there is some interesting things going on as well. There seems to be a mystery as to why Hammond is remembering events differently than he originally thought, so that could be a cool set up ... I think. And it looks like Robinson is going to do what he did with EARTH 2 ... bring characters in slowly, issue by issues, at first, which is fine. I mean, there is good stuff here too. I just wanted to express my exasperation towards Robinson at times. A guy who I really like to listen to and a guy that can write his ass off when he is on, but damn he can go under pretty fast for me as well.

While I am saddened by this first effort, I can still see promise and I am once again trusting this writer to pull me in and make me love this title. But for now ...

5 outta 10 guys that still should be burned when being carried by an android made of flame, even if that android's arm is not aflame.
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 06:35:03 PM »

Issue #2

This one did not excite me as much as #1 did and the art towards the end started getting on my nerves.  Not sure I'll be keeping this one on my pull list but I won't make a decision before reading #3.

Anyone else feel the same way?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »

Well that doesn't bode well for me, as I didn't really enjoy the first issue either.  Undecided Still going to go at least 4 issues deep as I really want to see the golden age Vision make an appearance, not to mention Spitfire and the Whizzer (who just has to come back in some form or another)

I also know that James has a F4/Invaders short cross-over thing on his mind that I wouldn't mind seeing come to fruition, but as I have yet to read his F4, I can't say I will stay on either title in time for that "event" (Though I am still VERY excited about his plans for F4 !!!)

EDIT - Talking to my boy Dave and mentioned the desire to see the GA Vision as one of the reasons I am holding onto this and he mentions he is actually in this issue. Making a trip to his house now.
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:58:13 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 01:48:40 AM »

Issue #2

Not sure if it is because I am tired or if we are just different on this title, but I just got through reading this and I enjoyed it much more than the first issue. No 1960 dialog or over exposition here this time.

I can see your complaints on the art, though I did not get the same bother to my nerves as you, I can understand what you meant. One thing I do hate is Cap in that damn helmet of his. I hate that damn thing. One thing that is really clear, looking at these panels is this issue, that this is definitely designed for digital viewing. Its just made for it. Center spreads create a splash page without being a "page". Looks pretty cool, but bet it looks better digitally.

Of course the main reason I picked this up today was to see the golden age Vision, Aarkus the pre-martian manhunter Martian Manhunter (not really, just always reminded me of him) ... my boy failed to mention that this Vision is not really in this damn book.  Angry
 Grin

Yeah, while I won't say this issue "wowed" me in anyway, it was certainly better or less bothersome than the last. I'll move it up only one as I do agree with Jeff slightly on the art.

6 outta 10

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS