HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:15:48 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Blast From the Past - Wizard Magazine July 1997 Pages  (Read 6420 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:13 PM »

Found some old Wizard Magazines in a box today, and thought I'd share the 90s nostalgia with you all. This isn't nearly all of it, just some key spots out of it. Magazines were a LOT bigger back then. I miss magazines being a thing.

Wizard: The Guide to Comics #71 - July 1997

Table of Contents:

Letter Pages with The Wizard Bunny:

Fan Artwork:

News Pages - Marvel Creates Theme-Park Rides:

Batman: The Long Halloween Article:

Summer Sizzlers Article:

Kurt Busiek Interview:

Vampirella Article - Joe Jusko and James Robinson:

DC Tangent Universe Article:

Amalgamania - Amalgam Dream Characters:

Casting Call: Iron Man - Wizard Picks What If Dream Casts for Ficticious Movies

Tony Stark/Iron Man - Timothy Dalton (great choice, IMO), Jim Rhodes/War Machine - Carl Weathers, Crimson Dynamo - Nikita Koloff (Ivan Koloff the wrestler's son), Bethany Cabe - Angie Everhart, Mandarin - Cary Hiroyuki (Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat), Titanium Man - Andrew Bryniarski (Zangeif in Street Fighter the Movie).

Nightwing Character Profile:

The Junk Drawer - Collectibles and Memorbelia Releases:

Video Game Previews:

Doom 64 (N64), Independence Day (PS1), MechWarrior 2 (PS1), Spawn (PS1), Fantastic Four (PS1), Sega Genesis officially retired.

The Trailer Park - Movie News:

Blade, Black Panther, Hulk Animated Series, Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD, 007, X-Men, Superman, Fantastic Four, Steel.

Action Figure Releases - KISS:

Action Figure Releases - Star Wars:

Action Figure Releases - Marvel (Venom, X-Men: Water Wars, Spider-Man):

Homemade Heroes - Fan-Made Action Figures:

Action Figure Price Guide:

Batman & Robin Movie Contest:

There were actually a few different contests, but I'm already showing enough pics in this thread as it is. Way to kickback to the fans, Wizard!

Rules: Come up with a hero you want to be. Come up with your powers, your costume, and name. If Batman and Robin deem you worthy to aid them, then you win cool stuff from the Batcave: A full Batman & Robin trading card set, 4 signed comics including The Official Movie Adaptation and 4 one-shots (Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Bane, and Batgirl), and a Batman T-shirt.

Basic Training: How to Draw Realistic Women:

Jackie Chan Profile:

Open House - Humorous "Comic" Strip Starring the Wizard Staff:

Comic Trivia Page:

Top 10 Comics:

1. Witchblade #1 (Top Cow Productions)
2. JLA #1 (DC Comics)
3. The Darkness #1 - Black Variant Cover (Top Cow Productions)
4. Darkchylde #1 (Maximum Press)
5. Witchblade #10 - Darkness Variant Cover (Top Cow Productions)
6. Preacher #1 (Vertigo)
7. Fantastic Four #1 (Marvel Comics) (1996 Heroes Reborn Relaunch)
8. Body Bags #1 (Dark Horse Comics)
9. JLA #1 (DC Comics)
10. Hitman #1 (DC Comics)

Top 100 Selling Comics:

Top 10 Heroes & Villains:

1. Wolverine
2. Spawn
3. Witchblade
4. Spider-Man
5. Batman
6. Preacher
7. Fairchild (Gen 13)
8. Supergirl
9. Darkchylde
10. Deadpool
Mort of the Month: Ch'P (Squirrel Green Lantern)

Card Price Guide:

Batman: "Oh hell, Robin the Boy Streaker is on the loose again."
I love the humor Wizard used to have back then.

Comic Price Guide:

Shows & Conventions Listings:

Misc. Ads:

Back Cover - Magic: The Gathering Ad:

Random Ads

The Kents - DC Comics:

Inmates - Delta Comics Publishing:

Cartoon Network - DC Comics:

Gross Point - DC Comics:

Maverick #1 - Marvel Comics:

Major Bummer - DC Comics:

Ascension - Top Cow Productions (early David Finch):

Wild Arms for PlayStation (Original) - Pages Fold Together to Form Another Picture:

"If you plan to survive, you're going to have to battle the enemy with your agile wits. Uncover the power that lies deep in the ruins. Discover what it takes to conquer Metal Demons. And no, the ultimate goal of your quest is not to save the princess. It's to save the planet. Good luck. You're gonna need it.
Unless you can unfold the mysteries of the waste land, you're going down whether you're ready or not."

Formed Together Pic (Wild Arms):

"Ur not"

Back of Ad (Wild Arms):
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:20:06 AM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:26:41 AM »

Aw man...that magazine used to be the absolute best back in the day.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:15:34 AM »

Agreed.  I miss this magazine.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:55:39 AM »

Agreed.  I miss this magazine.

Me too. It had sooo many haters, though. I don't understand why, it was a well made magazine if you're into comics.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:57:33 AM »

I particularly enjoyed the humor in the book.  especially twisted toy theater (or whatever it was called) and the big shots in the action figure price guide.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »

Agreed.  I miss this magazine.

Me too. It had sooo many haters, though. I don't understand why ...

From what I can tell, while it started out as a great source for information and humor for the comic readers, it began to burn too many bridges with the people responsible for its early success. Its writers, its editors, its sources (IE: the comic publishers) and then it just started to turn to crap.

As for the reasons why ... some of what I have read ... (Tons of stuff out there) From firing longtime "good" writers to go strictly freelance to save money to getting cut off from Marvel for publishing their stuff without compensation or permission to having articles that really said nothing to ... all kinds of reasons.
 Undecided

When they first came out I thought they were a great mag, but then about a year later I dropped comics so I dropped them as well. When I got back into comics in ... 98 or 99, it still took me awhile to jump back on them but I eventually did after a couple of years. After a few months however, I could tell it was just not the same. I had no trouble dropping them, as the mag had just lost me. I couldn't tell ya why, just wasn't hitting for me. Something was ... just ... I don't know.

It wasn't until years later I heard about all the crap. Some truly interesting, though not unheard of stuff that went on there. Was really fun for me for a couple years though.
 Cool

EDIT - As for the hate, maybe it was the 90's leftover effect. Image had a hard time dropping it until a few years ago.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:55:07 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:32 PM »

Agreed.  I miss this magazine.

Me too. It had sooo many haters, though. I don't understand why ...

From what I can tell, while it started out as a great source for information and humor for the comic readers, it began to burn too many bridges with the people responsible for its early success. Its writers, its editors, its sources (IE: the comic publishers) and then it just started to turn to crap.

As for the reasons why ... some of what I have read ... (Tons of stuff out there) From firing longtime "good" writers to go strictly freelance to save money to getting cut off from Marvel for publishing their stuff without compensation or permission to having articles that really said nothing to ... all kinds of reasons.
 Undecided

When they first came out I thought they were a great mag, but then about a year later I dropped comics so I dropped them as well. When I got back into comics in ... 98 or 99, it still took me awhile to jump back on them but I eventually did after a couple of years. After a few months however, I could tell it was just not the same. I had no trouble dropping them, as the mag had just lost me. I couldn't tell ya why, just wasn't hitting for me. Something was ... just ... I don't know.

It wasn't until years later I heard about all the crap. Some truly interesting, though not unheard of stuff that went on there. Was really fun for me for a couple years though.
 Cool

EDIT - As for the hate, maybe it was the 90's leftover effect. Image had a hard time dropping it until a few years ago.

Oh yeah, those last couple of years were bad. They tried to become more mainstream and trendy and it just alienated the longtime fans. And the way they shut down was messed up. The crew was at work, and the editor just walks in and tells everyone to go home. They didn't even know they had just shipped their last issue until they were let go.

But that was like in 2008-2009 or somewhere around there. For the entire 90s and first half of the 2000s, it was a fantastic magazine.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »

I had a subscription when they shutdown.  I remember getting a note telling me this was the last issue. No warning at all.  In fact, I don't remember getting a refund for the unshipped issues.

I think the just killed by the internet.  Why buy news you saw online three weeks ago.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 08:24:41 PM »

There was also the fact they had insider knowledge of things (Captain America #25-Cap's death) an pre-ordered a ton of them, and sold them for buc-coo bucks.

Also, telling Marvel and DC how much they needed Wizard to function with all their WizardWorld conventions.

They got full of themselves, too big for their britches, and started pissing off the big 2. It's too bad; I enjoyed the fun novelty of the early issues (Casting Calls, Fan art letters, art lessons from pros, interviews with pros about their personal life), and just in general comic and pop culture talk.

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »

I had a subscription when they shutdown.  I remember getting a note telling me this was the last issue. No warning at all.  In fact, I don't remember getting a refund for the unshipped issues.

I think the just killed by the internet.  Why buy news you saw online three weeks ago.

I remember fans saying that instead of a refund, they were offered a choice of other magazines to complete the subscription. And there was nothing else similar to Wizard, so I'm sure most of those subscribers were pissed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS