HR Boards
December 16, 2017, 02:03:19 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hero Realm now
officially 475 members
strong!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STAR WARS  (Read 6555 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 14, 2014, 06:48:43 AM »

First of all, should this topic go here under this thread? I wonder?

Secondly, now that Marvel will be producing Star Wars comics again, how many here will give the first issue, of whatever they decide to do, a try? Now obviously the very fist issue may be a film adaption, so perhaps I should not count that (as I never buy those regardless), but if it is a new Star Wars title ... not tied into to episode VII, will you give it a shot pr are you over Star Wars?

I would like to think, for me, it would depend on the creative team, but gotta be honest, I am not sure that will be the deciding factor. Although I rarely bought a Dark Horse Star Wars comic (though I did on occasion), and after a few years the same buying habit will probably transfer to the Marvel Star Wars comics, I am very interested in that universe returning home to Marvel. So much so that I will probably dip my toes in the first issue regardless of the creators (unless it is someone I know I can't stand .. like Guggenhiem or something)
 Angry

Sadly I know Bendis will want to write a title for a few issues and I just hope that is not the first outing. I have no interest in reading Peter Parker's voice in Han Solo (Although, in all fairness, Han Solo is pretty close in voice to Parker so ...)
 Grin

So how about you? When it comes to picking up Marvels first SW comic are ya in, waiting or just out?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:48:15 AM by Perry » Logged
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:17:15 AM »

I'm sure I'll pick up the first go round - unless Jeph Loeb is writing.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:46:54 AM »

Out.

I've read Dark Horse SW comics for 18+ years (I fell out of them by around the time of Episode 3 finishing in the comics, and there being only 'Legacy' to collect).

I've had my fill, I dare say.

And being that this will be a reboot/Ultimates/New 52 of Star Wars...been there, done that...thrice.

I'm done.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »

Well don't be so bitter.
 Cheesy
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »

Naw, not bitter. I'm not shouting that 'my stories don't matter!' or 'how could they do this to me?!'

It's more that these stories are for my fiance's wee cousin (who I helped get into Star Wars by watching a ANH with him; he later went to be Luke for Halloween, and he's SW crazy now).

He gets to see Star Wars explode and go further than the ..6 movies, and the cartoon shows. His mind can wonder at all the open possibilities for it.

I already explored. It's somebody elses turn.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 05:54:52 AM »

Eh, same thing for comics? I mean surely there have been more stories about Spider-Man than those about the vastness of the SW universe. I mean, if you are just over Star Wars in general ... well, what can I say about that other than "that's cool. We'll miss ya", but going from your first post it would seem you are just tired of the "relaunches" or the fact that Marvel has the rights again.

But maybe, like you eluded to in you last post, it is that you just have no more interest in that world. Regardless of the creative team telling the story. Regardless of the story. And in that case, maybe it's just me being bitter about your stance  Cheesy
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 06:20:49 AM »

Heh heh..perhaps. Cheesy

If anything, what will they do? Tell yet ANOTHER story set within the Classic trilogy, or whereabouts right after? That stuff is so overexplored; its the same as re-re-re-re-reading Batman, Superman, and Spider-man's origin story again and again. Just get off it already.

But, I'm just kinda done with the universe. I got tired out of it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 06:47:58 AM »

But, I'm just kinda done with the universe. I got tired out of it.

Understand. I was never a huge buyer of the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff, aside from the occasional series from Kevin J. Anderson's books (Jedi Academy / Heir to The Force and the like) and Ostrander's Legacy, and hell, other than KJA's Tales series (Mos Eisley, Jabba's and Bounty Hunters), the Han Solo origin trilogy and Timothy Zahn's Dark Force Rising series and ... Specter of The Past I have not read anything regarding the ancillary books or books exploring the expanded universe, so for me it is still a relatively "unexplored" universe.

But I can see how after 20 years of reading about the subject could get tiring.  Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »

I will give them a shot.  until there are 7 star wars books and a star wars "event" every 6 months that promises to change everything we knew about star wars and there are 5 new mini series tied into the "event" and they reboot the series with a new #1 after every said "event" and when wolverine shows up with lightsaber claws.  

so...maybe not? Huh Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 05:12:09 AM »

Grin Well Dark Horse already did most of that.  Grin But as for Wolverine ... yeah, the Wolverine aspect has been brought up a few times and it brings something to mind.

While I would cringe as much as anyone if something along that line were to ever happen, I have to honestly ask myself, why it would bother me?

It goes back to what some creators talk about when they say most comic readers are just anal fanboys. What's the harm in taking a total fictional aspect and merging it with another total fictional aspect? Why would it generate such hate? It's just a story and we wouldn't have to consider it canon or anything, but most of us, myself included, would indeed not be able to just sit back and enjoy the ludicrous idea, but instead bitch about the "falseness" of it.

Now true, we would certainly bitch about how bad the plot was, as getting Wolverine to that "galaxy far away" that these stories took place in such "a long time ago" would be very hard to do with any rational reasoning.
 Grin

Again, I would be one of the ones bitchin and it would bother me, but should it really? Where does fictions "do not cross this line" commence ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS