HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:55:11 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 17675 times)
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 07:26:23 AM »

I listen to a little bit of everything.  80s, Rap, Alternative, R&B, Pop, EDM, Rock, Country, and Metal.   Heck, if it gets radio play, there's a good chance I know and listen to it.

Confession:  I'm a big fan of Karaoke bars, and love to sing my heart and lungs out.   Tongue

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 07:27:22 AM »

Tom Arraya of Slayer will still take his mother to church, and he doesn't burst into flames, or get kicked out.

It's not about that. I mean, a lot of the more straight-laced church people would probably want to throw me out for liking Def Leppard even and then tell me that comics are the devil's tool. Cheesy

I'm a bit more open-minded than that. I know I'm an adult and I can choose my own beliefs and thoughts without having a band influence me like some love-struck 14-year old girl.

It's just hard for me to enjoy lyrics that are directly demeaning to my beliefs. As a result, I've stopped listening to a few Black Metal bands, where strong anti-Christian lyrics are common. Stuff like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, God Dethroned, etc. Doesn't mean I don't like metal anymore, I still listen to crapload of metal of all kinds.

I just picked up Disarmonia Mundi, Children of Bodom, Metallica, and Amon Amarth albums recently.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »

It's just hard for me to enjoy lyrics that are directly demeaning to my beliefs.

As much as I don't want you feeling guilty about what you listen to, I absolutely understand that from a "faith" standpoint.
 Smiley

Regardless of the singers (writers) actual beliefs, if he is singing praise to things that go against your core faith, I can see were "singing along" or even just "getting into it" could be troublesome.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 03:38:17 AM »

so I just did something I didn't think I would ever do again. 

I bought tickets to go see motley crue.  I have seen the crue twice in my life.  motley was the very first concert I attended back in 1990 (it may have been '91; you know how memory is with us old fogeys, right , perry? Cheesy) and I saw them once when john corabi was the singer.  I did see vince neil in a small club in myrtle beach back when his first solo album was released and that was pretty cool (front row with high fives from vince himself included Grin).  however, the crue split up for a while after that and then they got together again and I saw a few performances on tv and the 'net and I was just BLOWN AWAY by how incredibly BAAAAD they were.  the worst thing was vinces singing.  he was very much half-assing it and when I saw them play "home sweet home" he left out 65-70% of the lyrics.  I vowed from then on to never see motley live again and not waste my money. 

flash forward to 2 days ago when they announce this is the last tour and they are going to dissolve the band after the tour is over (and yes, I know I could be falling into the "KISS" trap here Cheesy) and I found myself reminiscing to the good old days circa 1986-87 when motley was perhaps my favorite band in the world at the time and I can't miss the chance to see them one last time.  I am hoping that the rust has worn off from those performances I saw from a few years ago and I won't be seeing them until October and by that time the tour will have been rolling for the better part of 4-5 months.  they have to have it down by then, right?

oh yeah...I also bought tickets to see alice in chains in may today.  busy day, I love my wife and she is slightly annoyed/irritated at me  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »

I bought tickets to go see motley crue. 

Was thinking about hitting that one too. With Alice correct?

you know how memory is with us old fogeys, right , perry? Cheesy)

You know that is gospel!!!  Grin

and I saw them once when john corabi was the singer. 

Ouch. How was he live?

the worst thing was vinces singing.  he was very much half-assing it and when I saw them play "home sweet home" he left out 65-70% of the lyrics. 

Yep. I've seen Crue 4 times (twice for free because the ex-wife use to work at Tracks so we even got back stage passes the first time. Or what I though were back-stage passes. Told everyone I knew that I had BSP to Crue, made everyone jealous of me (remember this is early/mid 80's  Grin) and then, after get all excited about meeting Nicki Sixx after the show, I find it is only a meet and greet prior to the show. You get one photo with the band. "ONE!" and my boy Sixx wasn't even there.
 Sad ... damn that was a long interjection) But anyway ... Every time I have seen Vince he is just out of breath, and gasping for air. I can understand on some songs (Like "Shout", which he use to always complain about Nikki writing lyric rhythm too fast), but dude has just been out of shape since '83
 Grin

oh yeah...I also bought tickets to see alice in chains in may today.  busy day, I love my wife and she is slightly annoyed/irritated at me  Grin

Didn't even know Cantrell had re-grouped this. Without ... everyone else?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »

Well speaking of concerts ... the wife's birthday is coming up so I was going to buy a couple Elton John tickets so we can have a nice night out (something we have not had in a few months) to celebrate her ... getting older
 Grin

Well, that's not happening. Look, I get that guy can sell some tickets, but I am not paying over $500 for two seats. Now yes, they are in a good section, but they are not in the section closest to the stage and even then I would have to think about buying them.

Of course, I could buy the cheaper reserved section seating for $170 for EACH TICKET, which would bring my total to a paltry $340, but those seats are so far back you would have to use the huge monitors they have to see the show. Not my idea of a concert. And yes, there is always the general admission (lawn tickets), but not sure I want to sit on a lawn risking rain for Elton John. Maybe in his old days, but the dude is now, like me, old and overweight now ... he aint jumping around and making a show by himself and my old ass can't get comfortable on the grass like I use to
 Grin

I love the wife and all but it's not like he is her favorite musician either.

Maybe she will want to go to that Crue and Alice Cooper show?
 Cheesy Cheesy

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 12:20:49 AM »

I want to see the Crue tour, too. I've been listening all week to my local rock station, hoping to win tickets.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 04:00:28 AM »

I bought tickets to go see motley crue.

Was thinking about hitting that one too. With Alice correct?

you know how memory is with us old fogeys, right , perry? Cheesy)

You know that is gospel!!!  Grin

and I saw them once when john corabi was the singer.

Ouch. How was he live?

the worst thing was vinces singing.  he was very much half-assing it and when I saw them play "home sweet home" he left out 65-70% of the lyrics.  

Yep. I've seen Crue 4 times (twice for free because the ex-wife use to work at Tracks so we even got back stage passes the first time. Or what I though were back-stage passes. Told everyone I knew that I had BSP to Crue, made everyone jealous of me (remember this is early/mid 80's  Grin) and then, after get all excited about meeting Nicki Sixx after the show, I find it is only a meet and greet prior to the show. You get one photo with the band. "ONE!" and my boy Sixx wasn't even there.
 Sad ... damn that was a long interjection) But anyway ... Every time I have seen Vince he is just out of breath, and gasping for air. I can understand on some songs (Like "Shout", which he use to always complain about Nikki writing lyric rhythm too fast), but dude has just been out of shape since '83
 Grin

oh yeah...I also bought tickets to see alice in chains in may today.  busy day, I love my wife and she is slightly annoyed/irritated at me  Grin.  

Didn't even know Cantrell had re-grouped this. Without ... everyone else?

yes,perry, it is the tour with alice opening.  i am not sure i see alice being the opening act for the crue, but alice is very good live.

i don't remember a whole lot from the corabi show (old fogey syndrome again!) so i can't really answer tha one.  i remember at one point in the show, they invited fans from the audience to come up on stage.  now just a few mind you, but ALL OF THEM!  my buddy and i thought about doing it, but then like 50 people jumped up on stage and we backed out.

you haven't heard any of the new AIC stuff?  you need to check it out.  i know cantrell and the drummer are in and i know they got a new singer and bass player, but i am not sure what their names are.  the new stuff is pretty good.  they have 2 albums out with the new singer and they are a tad more mellow than early AIC but i really like them.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 04:05:23 AM »

here you go, perry.  check it out.
http://youtu.be/hmSeWqmlqYs

http://youtu.be/SBcADQziQWY

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:07:47 AM by jedicow » Logged

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 04:17:20 AM »

here is another.  really cool song.

http://youtu.be/Ll1lwzMfUfM

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 02:46:14 PM »

Well they certainly have kept the atmosphere and sound of AOC. Cantrell does love those off 3 count measures  Grin The mood is solid in HOLLOW and while CHECK MY BRAIN sounds like it was even co-sung by Layne, it has an opening very reminiscent of early Soundgarden and ends up being close to STP in sound ... which is cool.

Good stuff  Cool  

I still want that Beatles. That Ramones. That Nirvana. That Guns & Roses that just opens up rock again to a new sound. It may be out there. I mean I left music awhile ago and the radio even before that ... god the radio sound is dreadful ... but that sound may be out there, but from everything I have heard in commercials or awards shows or whatever... the industry has nothing for me. I am sure someone has that killer album out there. It has to be out there.

Or, I have just reached the age where I could look right passed it. Easily a possibility as I remember my folks not "hearing" the greatness in 3 of the 4 bands I listed above, so maybe I am just there ... in the land of Ear-Bleed where no music, no-matter how great will ever be acknowledged by my old ass.
 Grin
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 02:53:04 PM »

Or, I have just reached the age where I could look right passed it. Easily a possibility as I remember my folks not "hearing" the greatness in 3 of the 4 bands I listed above, so maybe I am just there ... in the land of Ear-Bleed where no music, no-matter how great will ever be acknowledged by my old ass.
 Grin
 Smiley

Unfortunately, this is probably the case.

Not being mean! But even I have to 'search' more for something I want to listen to.

Because there is something about great music. I had this to say to friends a while back; " I listened to Draiman's album (frontman Disturbed) 'Device' and it was okay. Nothing to call home about, but just fine. At the same point, I had gotten a copy of Dio's 'The Last in Line,' and within the first 10 seconds of 'We Rock' I knew that this song, and this album was going to be FAKKING AWWSUM. And it was.'

You can tell when you 'find' (yeah, finding a Dio album after 40 years isn't a find, but it was my first time listening to it!), but there albums like that out there.

You just gotta have to want to slog through some stuff, be okay with some stuff, and be a little disappointed in some stuff.

Although, its just nice to listen to your stuff as well.

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »

Well they certainly have kept the atmosphere and sound of AOC. Cantrell does love those off 3 count measures  Grin The mood is solid in HOLLOW and while CHECK MY BRAIN sounds like it was even co-sung by Layne, it has an opening very reminiscent of early Soundgarden and ends up being close to STP in sound ... which is cool.

Good stuff  Cool  

I still want that Beatles. That Ramones. That Nirvana. That Guns & Roses that just opens up rock again to a new sound. It may be out there. I mean I left music awhile ago and the radio even before that ... god the radio sound is dreadful ... but that sound may be out there, but from everything I have heard in commercials or awards shows or whatever... the industry has nothing for me. I am sure someone has that killer album out there. It has to be out there.

Grin
 Smiley

i agree, perry.  however, i thought the Foo Fighters have come awfully close to that feeling you are talking about a few times especially with "Wasting Light" but i think the younger generations are too brainwashed by lip synching and "choreography" to notice.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 03:58:16 PM »

Cool

We (the wife and I) do enjoy the Foo's.

You ever see their live concert in Grohl's recording studio? Pretty sweet. Wasting Light Album from the first song to the last

Smiley

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »

My wife was just online, going to buy us tickets to Motley Crue and I woke up and caught her and wasn't supposed to. She doesn't even like 80s rock, though, and was doing it for me. And those ticket prices are pretty dang high, so I told her let's save it for something we'd both like.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS