HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:20:45 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 17676 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: January 11, 2014, 12:13:16 AM »

I've had a few music related stuff I've wanted to post on here, but there was no music thread I knew of, so I passed on it. Decided it's about time to start one.

Who's heard the new Five Finger Death Punch single, "Battle Born"? I heard it on the radio today, and the opening made me immeadiatly think of Ozzy Osbourne's "Killer of Giants" (one of his most underrated songs). Does anyone else hear the resemblance (at least in the guitar-work)?

Five Finger Death Punch - "Battle Born"

Ozzy Osbourne - "Killer of Giants"

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:18:58 AM »

Since we're on the subject, what kind of music does everyone listen to? What are some bands/singers you like?

I'm a big metal-head. I'm into a lot of different metal. I don't like the hip-hop/rap-fused-with-metal sound, and I'm not into straight Death Metal. But most of the rest of it I like.

I'm also into classic rock and hard rock (depending on who it is, when it comes to hard rock. You'd never catch me listening to Blood on the Dance Floor, or anything like that).

A list of many bands I enjoy:
⦁   3 Inches of Blood
⦁   AC/DC
⦁   A.F.I.
⦁   Alice Cooper
⦁   Alice In Chains
⦁   All That Remains
⦁   Amon Amarth
⦁   Amorphis
⦁   As I Lay Dying
⦁   Billy Idol
⦁   Blind Guardian
⦁   Bush
⦁   Calabrese
⦁   Children of Bodom
⦁   Cinderella
⦁   Cold
⦁   The Cult
⦁   Damageplan
⦁   Dark Tranquility
⦁   Deathstars
⦁   Def Leppard
⦁   Deftones
⦁   Demons & Wizards
⦁   Dio
⦁   Disarmonia Mundi
⦁   Disturbed
⦁   Dokken
⦁   Evanascence
⦁   Fear Factory
⦁   Five Finger Death Punch
⦁   Flyleaf
⦁   Guns 'N Roses
⦁   Iced Earth
⦁   In Flames
⦁   In This Moment
⦁   Iron Maiden
⦁   Lordi
⦁   Killswitch Engage
⦁   KISS
⦁   Kittie
⦁   Machine Head
⦁   Megadeth
⦁   Metallica
⦁   Monster Magnet
⦁   Motley Crue
⦁   Mudvayne
⦁   Nightwish
⦁   Omnium Gatherum
⦁   Ozzy Osbourne
⦁   Pantera
⦁   A Perfect Circle
⦁   Pink Floyd
⦁   Queen
⦁   Queensryche
⦁   Quiet Riot
⦁   Ratt
⦁   Scar Symmetry
⦁   Scorpions
⦁   Sevendust
⦁   Shadows Fall
⦁   Skid Row
⦁   Smashing Pumpkins
⦁   Soundgarden
⦁   Stabbing Westward
⦁   Stone Sour
⦁   Stone Temple Pilots
⦁   Testament
⦁   Tool
⦁   Trivium
⦁   Type 'O Negative
⦁   Vintersorg
⦁   W.A.S.P.
⦁   Whitesnake
⦁   Year 200X
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:38:29 AM by EmeraldWarrior420 » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:18:40 AM »

As I said in another post, music is dead to me.

No matter the style, to my ear it's just mostly retread sound now. Sure, every now and then you get a band that shows some originality (Clutch from a few years back) but for the majority of the new stuff ... eh ... I just tune my Pandora Radio to one of my three classic rock stations and just ride the nostalgia wave.

Of course as I have been retired from actively being a part of music for about 8 years now, I am sure there is a possiblity that a few good bands have come around. But ... eh ... I'm happy listening to the old stuff now.

As for what I use to enjoy ... everything from metal to country to folk to dance to etc, etc. I could literally go from Godsmack to Cindy Lauper to Neil Young to Conway Twitty to Ice Cube to Adam Ant to, well, again, etc, etc.

I loved it all ...with only two exceptions. Opera (Just can't enjoy it) and Death Metal/Doom Metal/Deathgrind/Growl Metal/whatever (Just ridiculous sounding noise is all that is, or as I prefer to call it; shit)
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »

i am a huge metal fan and particularly the metal/hard rock from the 80s.  some of my favorite bands are KISS, rush, iron Maiden, metallica, Foo Fighters and Ratt.  I got some gift cards for Amazon and ITunes for Christmas and I spent it all on music.  here is a list of what I got:

albums:
Lillian Axe- the days before tomorrow
Adler- back from the dead
stryper-to hell with the devil, in God we trust, no more hell to pay
megadeth- super collider
sgt. roxx- weapons of miss destruction
stone sour- come whatever may

songs:
loudness- let it go
david lee roth- just like paradise, just a gigolo, going crazy and yankee rose
lou gramm- midnight blue
Europe- rock the night, Cherokee, superstitious
fates warning-through different eyes
quiet riot- party all night, twilight hotel
saxon- strong arm of the law, rock n roll gypsy, ride like the wind, just let me rock, midnight rider

the two bands I am digging on the most right now are stone sour and the winery dogs (mike portnoy is a genius and can do no wrong in my eyes.)

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »

OooOOo...Wish I could have warned you away from 'Super Collider', JC, I thought that entire album was just awful. Ugh.

That said, LOVE THE THREAD Nate!!

I too, am a metalhead. Lately, I feel like I've been trying to find the next 'metal thing.' Been having fun conversations, as well as reading about how the 'Nu-Metal' scene has died, or officially went RIP about 3-4 years ago. Now, that's certainly not my favorite era whatsoever.

However, it did bring attention back to a heavier metal sound, and it certainly showed that stuff like Creed and Puddle of Mudd where not the litmus test of metal.

That said, I'm looking to see what the new 'scene' is. There are talks of labels like 'Nu-core' and  'metalcore', but I really haven't been into that either.

Sure, I still stick with all my favorites from the 80s and on (Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera, Motorhead, earlier Megadeth), but I find myself really enjoying larger, epical (spelling?) prog metal in Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Ashes of Ares, Grand Magus, Jorn, Epica, Masterplan, etc).

I LOVE Clutch. 'Earth Rocker' is an amazing hard rock album. Dropkick Murphys have put out another solid album. I love goofy ass rock like Alestorm and Gloryhammer.

I also just got the fully expanded edition of Superman: The Movie(John Williams), and in a morose, sad point, was moved to tears reading the liner notes and playing the full, extended intro song.

So, I definitely have friends like Perry who have 'moved beyond' music-and I could see that happening for me; I don't wish it, but I know how it happens.

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 06:02:11 PM »

^ Melodic Death Metal is what I've really been into the last couple of years, when it comes to new metal, Jimmy T.

It mixes the more complicated guitar-work and drumming, with some melodic choruses and such and the mixture complements each other perfectly. It does the same with a mixture of harsh vocals and clean vocals.

Some bands that come to mind in the genre: As I Lay Dying, All that Remains, Killswitch Engage, Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility.

And Jedi, I too love the 80s metal scene. Both the underground (at the time) thrash scene, and the mainstream hair bands. I was just listening to Dee Snider's House of Hair yesterday (love that radio show!).

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »

from what little I have listened of it, jimmy, I like "super collider".  that being said, I have only listened to 2 or 3 songs aaaaaannnnddd I got it off Amazon for $5.  I probably would not have bought it for $10.

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:04:34 PM »

I didn't like Super Collider, either. And Megadeth is my #1 favorite band, no joke. It sounded a little too mainstream and upbeat like Dave was trying to score some radio singles.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 01:46:54 AM »

Yeah, Super collider was certainly not worth a lot of money, and it's so radio friendly desperate, it makes me despise it.

That said, yeah, I dig As I lay dying, and All that Remains. Some other cool stuff that seems a bit more like Dio, is Benedictum (female singer, and boy she ROCKS!)

I tried Device by Dave Dramian (of Disturbed) and none of it seems immediately significant to my listening pleasure.

I tried 'Newsted' to see what Jason's solo project would bring; he's honestly just trying out to be metal, and it's metal...but metal by numbers, it kinda feels.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 01:28:17 PM »

So I was looking for an image of the movie FILTH to add to the "...last movie you saw..." thread and I came across Dani Filth. Decided to waste about 2 or 3 minutes making my head explode, so I clicked on a few videos for his CRADEL OF FILTH band.

First one, though still just stupid as hell as far as "music" is concerned (or at least my view of music), was pretty cool looking for a "horror" type film/video and I actually made it through about a minute before my ears decided I enough was enough. They showcased the singer and his evil looking antics, a couple chicks for the boob effect and dark lighting and scary scenery made it look like a horror flick. Kinda cool, just not my musical taste. But the second one ... wow, just ridiculous.

Here we have these dark and brooding disguises, guys looking like they are going to cut you in half and eat you raw, and then seconds later, they show these same guys playing a guitar and I can't stop laughing.
 Cheesy

Look, I was a child of Glam Metal, I get the "look" and how it plays into the stage-show and all, but this "I am evil" look is just like a total lack of visual continuity, when they go from looking like escaped mental patients from a demon asylum to picking up a Fender and strumming some chords.  Cheesy 

I have seen it before, sure, but none has hit me as bad as this one. I mean stuff like GWAR is just stupid looking, but that is even without the guitars so there is no heavy change of visuals. And Slipknot also has that "we are just crazy guys" look to them (still not a fan, but I can get it). But this demonic horror look of soul sucking terror staring straight through me, sending chills down my spine as I await them to pounce and consume my life force, but then they just pick up a guitar ... hahahaha.

Alice Copper made it work because he was the one singing. I think that is what is needed when you get into this dark metal stuff. Just have the singer dress the part. Because it sure as hell throws the "look" out the window when at anytime, the terror in front of me could just as easily start playing "Sweet Child O Mine"
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 11:39:30 PM »

Cradle of Filth is one of the most influential bands in the entire black metal scene. I used to be a big fan of them. Most of the things you are complaining about the band for, are things that could pertain to the entire Black Metal genre. I'd just chalk it up to you not being a fan of the Black Metal style.

Her Ghost in the Fog was a fantastic song. Nyphetamine is another one I couldn't get enough of. And their cover of Iron Maiden's "Fear of the Dark" is one of the best covers I've ever heard.

But since I've started going back to church, I can't quite bring myself to enjoy them anymore without feeling a little guilty. They are blatantly Satanic, and Dani Filth is a practicing Satanist himself.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 01:22:59 AM »

I'd just chalk it up to you not being a fan of the Black Metal style.

While me not being a fan is absolutely true, it is not just that.  Smiley

But since I've started going back to church, I can't quite bring myself to enjoy them anymore without feeling a little guilty. They are blatantly Satanic, and Dani Filth is a practicing Satanist himself.

Dani Filth is NOT a Satanist. He practices Arcadic Luciferianism. HUGE difference.
"Arcadians glorify reason, equality and progressive thought, and look down on religious dogma. Objectivity, science and personal exploration or discovery are treasured beyond anything else, with the ultimate goal being a world of peace, acceptance and unity that is neither imposed nor hindered by theism, entirely free of the supernatural."

Although they are not a fan of religious dogma (I can understand), it doesn't sound like you should feel too guilty  Wink I mean spreading the idea of unity and world peace isn't what I would call going against the teachings of Christ. No, no reason for guilt.  Cool

Well, other than maybe feeling guilty for listening to crap music.
 Cheesy
 Wink
 Smiley

EDIT - and I say that while the speakers are on 11, screaming ABBA right now, so I realize you could say the same.
 Grin
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:32:57 AM by Perry » Logged

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 01:34:05 AM »

I'd just chalk it up to you not being a fan of the Black Metal style.

While me not being a fan is absolutely true, it is not just that.  Smiley

Dani Filth is NOT a Satanist. He practices Arcadic Luciferianism. HUGE difference.
"Arcadians glorify reason, equality and progressive thought, and look down on religious dogma. Objectivity, science and personal exploration or discovery are treasured beyond anything else, with the ultimate goal being a world of peace, acceptance and unity that is neither imposed nor hindered by theism, entirely free of the supernatural."

Although they are not a fan of religious dogma (I can understand), it doesn't sound like you should feel too guilty  Wink I mean spreading the idea of unity and world peace isn't what I would call going against the teachings of Christ. No, no reason for guilt.  Cool

Well, other than maybe feeling guilty for listening to crap music.
 Cheesy
 Wink
 Smiley

You must not have listening to much Cradle of Filth. There's no question about the satanic nature of the lyrics.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 01:44:45 AM »

That makes him no more a satanist than me a Christian if I sing "Lamb of God" .... hymn number 186 if remember correctly  Grin
(yes, again, I was raised Baptist)  Smiley

Now I am not saying he is Christian either ...  Cheesy

EDIT - Just to clarify further, I am not saying he doesn't have anti-God sentiments, but Satanist are a different thing all together. More for the "self" than anything. It's like ... saying Satanist and Luciferians are the same is like saying that Protestants and Roman Catholics are the same because the both have Christ (or the belief in him) as their main tenant and share some general ideas. But there are also vast differences as well. Like the Catholics and their Bible that has 8 more books for one.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:00:06 AM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 04:13:26 AM »

Tom Arraya of Slayer will still take his mother to church, and he doesn't burst into flames, or get kicked out.

I'd feel bad if I acted on what I heard, but for this metal head, the songs aren't a personal dogma, they are a way of me expressing frustration and anger at a world I can't control in a cathartic way of being loud, fast, and in your face. Wink

That said, I'm just personally not a huge fan of Cradle; the stylings didn't ever catch me much. But, Nate, I'm definitely going to listen to those songs in particular just to try them out.

That said, I just got every NIN song out there, as I am waaay behind, and want to see if this is something that still resonates with me. I haven't heard a full album since 'The Fragile.'

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS