HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:40:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comic Collecting Pet-Peeves  (Read 4689 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: January 05, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »

Collecting comics is a great hobby. I'm pretty sure most all of us here enjoy it, or if you're a seller at least enjoyed it at one point. Tracking down that one story you've always wanted to read, or getting that last issue to complete a set is a very satisfying feeling, and it's just fun.

But there are some pet-peeves we all have associated with the hobby. What are some of yours?

My comic collecting pet-peeves:

-Collectors and sellers that sell obviously lower-grade comics at top Overstreet Price Guide values.

-When the corners of the cover of your comic flip up when you're putting them back into a tight-fitting plastic.

-When the tape of the plastic gets caught on the cover.

-When some comic boxes get too full and you have to rearrange the entire dang collection. (I think I just have too many comics.)

-When the handles of your comic boxes rip.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »

Pretty much all you listed.
 Grin

(Except the drawer handles. Never had them as I don't like them. I am just a regular 'lid' kinda guy.  Smiley Though that one company we discussed may have that problem solved so I would like to look at them puppies)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:41:13 AM »

Agreed on many of yours.

The only peeve I'm going to add is keeping that full run or mini of something that turned out to garbage. I've always hated the thought of throwing comics away...but do I have to have them???

(Also, I'd hate to give something truly awful to young children at a library or to our wounded Vets either!)

Jimmy T since 2001
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 03:14:52 AM »

- I hate Polybagged comics. 

- When ink rubs off a page, or my fingerprint gets left somehow.  Damn my oily, acidic fingers? I dunno.....

- When collectors are in denial about the condition of their comics

- When the book is nice and pristine on the outside, and you find that the inside you got pages that got printer-pinched or something similar.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »

- When the book is nice and pristine on the outside, and you find that the inside you got pages that got printer-pinched or something similar.

Agree with you on the damn bagged comics, but this one right here is the one that probably pisses me off more than anything. And not just from a collection stand-point, but as a damn reader in general for new comics. Any damn issues inside the issues kill me because I am not smart enough to look through my books when they first arrive, so anything that is going on wrong on the inside will not be seen by me for days, possibly weeks after I get the book. That makes it impossible to get credit on a damaged book.
 Angry

My damn VELVET #1 hit me. I waited about 3 weeks to actually sit down and read it and when I did, almost half the pages were ripped from edge to halfway to staple. Only later did I find out that there were plenty more issues that had the same thing wrong with them.
 Angry
Still didn't help me when I had to try to find another copy.

But yeah, creased in printing is even worse.  Angry Had it happen to me on more than one occasion for sure. Hell, I had a fantastic issue of MARVEL-TWO-IN-ONE #5 ... or #6 (with Dr. Strange) when I was younger and it had that damn problem. Still pisses me off to this day.

Damn it, Glenn, you got me in a foul mood now thinking about those things.

Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »

i always hate it when someone finds out I collect comics and they have to tell me something along the lines of, " I used to have the first edition spider-man.  I think it was number 278 or something like that."

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 09:57:51 PM »

i always hate it when someone finds out I collect comics and they have to tell me something along the lines of, " I used to have the first edition spider-man.  I think it was number 278 or something like that."

I hate it when they say "do you go to that comic con thing?" like there's something wrong with you.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »

I hate it when they say "do you go to that comic con thing?" like there's something wrong with you.

Well according to Alan Moore there IS something wrong with you if you like superhero books  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS