HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:36:21 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: cold weather games  (Read 7854 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: January 04, 2014, 05:44:14 PM »

So....any thoughts on whether its stupid, irresponsible, or unsafe to hold outdoor games on what may be the coldest day in history in Wisconsin?

The fact that the NFL would black out the games to the local market because they won't come out to an outdoor game with below -50 temps seems asinine, and well, UNSAFE.

Any off the cuff remarks?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 05:54:32 PM »

They shouldn't black out the game but I love football in the elements.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »

Totally agree it is unsafe.

Also totally agree with the NFL blacking out the games.

This is football. You start setting precedence for people to not go to the stadium, and then you open a huge can or worms you may not be able to get back in the can. Where does it stop? Game 16 of the NFL and its really cold ...

"Why is the NFL blacking out this game? It's cold. They didn't do it in the playoffs and this is JUST a regular season game"

Oh yeah ... a road the NFL does not want to start going down.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »

Agreed with both points.

I went to the Atlanta-Green Bay game, and that was COLD. It really sucked. I think windchill took it down to 10 or 13 below. Something I can stand (I better, from Wisconsin Cheesy), but this weekend, sooo much colder? Not good! Not safe for fans or players!!

And I also went to the Pittsburgh-Green Bay game. Snowed the entire time, not really 'that cold' and it was a blast. That's an awesome elements game! I want those each December!

Perry; a bad precedence, perhaps, but what should happen if a civil suit was brought against the Packers/NFL if someone gets frostbite? I'm not sure 'you're liable for it, you bought the ticket and came' will hold up in all circumstances.

Not saying this will or should happen, but I wonder on it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:02:10 PM »

Perry; a bad precedence, perhaps, but what should happen if a civil suit was brought against the Packers/NFL if someone gets frostbite? I'm not sure 'you're liable for it, you bought the ticket and came' will hold up in all circumstances.

But it will. Or at least I am sure it will. I am almost positive that every ticket purchased absolves the NFL of all incidents to persons or property. whether it is stated on the ticket, or at the site purchased.

I have never been to an NFL game  Cry but I have gone to many a Tides game (local minor league baseball team of the Orioles) and on the back of every ticket, it has that disclaimer.  "You take full responsibility of any injury and by purchasing this ticket you are aware of blah blah blah ..."

They could not, and should not, be held accountable for anyone being so stupid to risk life and limb for a game.
(That's what the lawyers will say)
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »

so what do you guys think about the super bowl being a cold weather city this year?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »

I am a super-strong proponent of regular season bad weather games and home field advantage playoff games, but I am absolutely opposed to cold weather venues getting the Super Bowl. Even when the fans are covered (IE Detroit ... though I personally loved that game  Wink) THE game should never be held there. The SUper Bowl is not just an event that lasts a few hours, it is an event that lasts for days leading up to it.

So, not only are the players susceptible to bonehead plays due to weather, your fans are miserable if they are in your city checking out the scenery.

Super Bowl should ALWAYS be in a warm (or what should be a warm) city.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 11:14:09 PM »

I am a super-strong proponent of regular season bad weather games and home field advantage playoff games, but I am absolutely opposed to cold weather venues getting the Super Bowl. Even when the fans are covered (IE Detroit ... though I personally loved that game  Wink) THE game should never be held there. The SUper Bowl is not just an event that lasts a few hours, it is an event that lasts for days leading up to it.

So, not only are the players susceptible to bonehead plays due to weather, your fans are miserable if they are in your city checking out the scenery.

Super Bowl should ALWAYS be in a warm (or what should be a warm) city.

That's what they thought about Dallas and that weekend was one of the worst ice days we've ever seen.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 12:13:42 AM »

Cheesy
Well, yes, you can never guarantee decent weather can you.
 Grin

But ya have to look at what cities have more of a chance at being hit by a blizzard or having a weeks worth of snow storms and freezing cold. I think we can all agree that New Jersey/New York has a higher chance of that happening in February than say ... Tampa Bay.
 Grin

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 05:48:36 AM »

I personally love the idea of a super bowl played in blizzard like conditions.  just think about the ice bowl and how revered it is today.  I would also love to see a super bowl played in Miami or tampa and have a massive downpour rainstorm there during the game.  THAT is football.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »

Totally get that, Cow, that atmosphere is great to watch a game on TV, but literally just about ruins the game when you're there live and it is not just for the one day. It is miserable to have that kind of conditions when you planned your trip for a year (or more) and now you can't even walk around the city and see the sights or join in the festivities.

And yes the Ice Bowl is revered in memory, but watch the game  Cheesy It wasn't football, it was "lets see how many times I can slip with the ball"
 Cheesy
Again, great for a Sunday afternoon, but not what the Superbowl should be to determine who is the champion of the game for that year. Any college team could have a chance against the pros when you can't run routes or block properly. (end old man rant)
 Cheesy

Again, any other game I am totally down with it, but for the week that is the Superbowl it should never happen. Just my onion.
 Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS