HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:03:48 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2013 Top Picks of the Year  (Read 5885 times)
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« on: January 01, 2014, 03:46:00 AM »

It's the end of the year, and time to reflect on what 2013 brought us.

Here's my picks on the best of the year:

Movie of the Year: Man of Steel
This was a tough pick for me. Star Trek: Into Darkness was also damn good. But Man of Steel finally brought the big, powerful, destructive battles that always should have been in the Superman movies. And the Kryptonian sets were amazing looking.

T.V. Show of the Year: The Walking Dead
This is atough one. This year brought us some great T.V. Arrow, Walking Dead, Vikings, 80s the Decade That Made Us, Comic Book Men, Almost Human, and on and on. But the show I looked forward to the most each and ever week was still Walking Dead. The show is easily the best on T.V. and a monument to what a comic franchise taken seriously can be on T.V.

Album of the Year: Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods
Unlike so many other metal bands that have been around for years, Amon Amarth is still at the top of their game. And this album may very well be among their best ever. Some insanely good guitar-driven tunes on this.

Video Game of the Year: Bionic Commando (Xbox 360, PS3)
I'm cheating. This wasn't released last year. I just played it for the first time last year. Such an underrated gem, and quite possibly one of the best games this generation. I'm pretty sure it didn't do so well for the simple fact that it was an old-school mentality game that had a high-learning curve and steep difficulty level. But once you get the controls down, the controls and movement is just divine.

Comic Book Story/Graphic Novel of the Year: Superior Spider-Man
Hands-down, the most exciting thing to happen this year in comics. Forever Evil has been far too drawn-out and not worth the wait each month. And Infinity was a far too convoluted for it's own good, mess of a story. Luckily Doc Ock saved us all! Possibly both the worst and best thing to happen to Spider-Man in decades.

What are your top picks of the year?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »

Damn, I've been thinking about this all day. Trying to come up with my choices and it is just hard to do.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 11:02:08 PM »

Okay, here we go -

MOVIE OF THE YEAR - OBLIVION
Truth be told, I am not a fan of going to the theater, so most movies that came out late in the year can't even be considered for my list. But, out of all the 2013 movies I did see, OBLIVION made the grade for me. (Oh, and my nominee for worst movie of the year award goes to ELYSIUM. I consider myself a moderate liberal but that damn movie was worse than watching 24 hours of MSNBC with it's over the top, blatant liberal propaganda. A joke)

TV SHOW OF THE YEAR - BIG BANG THEORY
As much as I want to say "GAME OF THRONES", I think using a pay channel would be cheating, so I am going with a show that everyone with a tv can see. A show, that some knock for joking the very nature of the geek. A show that has me rolling week after week and always has something that I can either relate to or I have been witness to.
 Wink

ALBUM OF THE YEAR - NONE. MUSIC IS DEAD

VIDEO GAME OF THE YEAR - THE LAST OF US
Easily, hands down, the best game I have ever played. Combining action, fright and strong emotion to have me sliding up and down the "FEELS" spectrum. I laughed. I got teary eyed. I soiled my pants.
 Cheesy

COMIC BOOK OF THE YEAR - THOR
There's about 20 titles that I could list here, but dollar to dollar, month to month, no other title has made me feel that the writer, the artist and the subject are matched more perfectly than Thor.

Man, that was hard
 Grin
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:30:41 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »

Movie of the Year: Before Midnight
This movie completes, what is to me personally, the best film trilogy.
To be fair there are many 2013 to have yet to see.  Though it'll be tough to overcome this film in my mind, as it had me pretty emotional, with dialog and performances that felt incredibly real.
In 2nd place would be Pacific Rim.

T.V. Show of the Year: Parks and Recreation
Still one of the funniest sitcoms I've ever seen.  I'm more into these characters, their lives, and Pawnee's politics than I am damn near any drama I've ever seen.  Joke and storyline-wise they just kill it more and more each season.

Album of the Year: Wavves - Afraid of Heights
Best I can pull right now, I'll have to come back to it.

Video Game of the Year: didn't play anything current this year

Comic Book Story/Graphic Novel of the Year: Invincible Universe
Phil Hester and Todd Nauck are making the most fun comicbook I've read in a while.  Constantly impressed.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »

Man, I want to say something great or meaningful here, but what? Hell, I can barely remember all what I watched!

My TV SHOW OF THE YEAR is The Newsroom. I love Aaron Sorkin, and this show I enjoyed so much.

MOVIE OF THE YEAR: As in the best? The one I liked best? One I actually saw? Then I'll say Thor The Dark World. Highly enjoyed myself all the way through it (even with Natalie Portman's character in there).

Comic Event/Book of the Year: Wow....um...I really enjoyed the finality that Geoff Johns' Green Lantern 25 received. Waaay too bumpy and spotty in the final year, but what a fun send off, and I loved the pseudo-epilogue book end to 'closing' GL. That said, I enjoy Wonder Woman and Batman most of all.

I don't play video games.

I don't read enough current books to say YES to any said book.

And my music is all over the place; buy some new, and then lots of really old stuff. That said, I loved my purchase of GLORYHAMMER (prog metal about a fictional Scotland involving wizards, a magic hammer, and vampire unicorns. Cheesy )

Revel in Angus McFife!!!! http://youtu.be/VTW30Q4B3Go

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »

wow...I don't know if I can do this. Grin

TV show of the year: the walking dead followed very closely by Dracula and the big bang theory.

movie of the year:  do I have to pick just 1?  I would probably say Thor:the dark world also if for no other reason than tom hiddleston.  iron man 3 and the wolverine come in close 2nd.

comic book of the year: once again, I gotta go walking dead.

video game of the year: I haven't bought and played a NEW video game in maybe a decade.  I always buy them used.

album of the year: I HAVE  to say The Winery Dogs S/T album.  check it out.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »

My TV SHOW OF THE YEAR is The Newsroom. I love Aaron Sorkin, and this show I enjoyed so much.

I am now so pissed that I want to bring someone else down as well.  Cheesy Just read where the next season (season 3) of NEWSROOM will be the last.
 Cry

That sucks ass. Fantastic show. Top to bottom, a truly fantastic show.

This year HBO is also canceling TRUE BLOOD (about 3 years too damn late) and BOARDWALK EMPIRE (which is about the perfect time for this great show). But NEWSROOM? No, way too early for that one.
 Sad

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 05:42:37 PM »

I know, but if Aaron Sorkin won't be around for all of it in its entirety? Then I rather get 3 amazing seasons and just do high fives all around for having the experience.

It's not like they are cancelling cancelling it; Sorkin simply only will be here for this one and is probably gone onto whatever else he does.

Still...sucks...

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS