HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 03:18:13 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Poll
Question: Love him or Hate him?
Love Him! - 3 (60%)
Hate Him! - 2 (40%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comic Book Character - Love 'em or Hate 'em? - The Flash Barry Allen  (Read 10522 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 11, 2013, 04:36:16 PM »

Barry Allen made his first appearance in the CW's Arrow this month and there are talks of a pilot for a Flash TV show using the same character.

I have to be honest - I'm a Wally West fan and was not happy they brought Barry back.  And to add insult to injury they've taken Wally completely out of the new DC Universe.

So I'm gonna land on the hate side by no fault of Mr Allen.

What say thee?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »

Much like the people that came to comics late and prefer John Stewart as their Green Lantern, because that is who they grew up with (Some fans were totally shocked and mad that Hal was in the movie as they had no idea who this "Hal" was), younger fans almost always prefer Wally. I totally understand the young people having that feeling with Wally West over Barry as that is who they know.

For Jeff to be one of the "older" crowd that still prefer Wally really says a lot about the memory of us readers.  Cheesy

You just can't say there was a limited amount of good Barry Allen stories. Yes, sorry, there were some great ones, as his rouges were some of the best in the business (as Johns would soon make evident bringing them into Wally's world) but Wally just always swoops in and takes credit for having the best stories. Maybe it is the Carmine Infintino aspect, where fans just pulled away from Barry due to art. Maybe it is just they read more Wally stories than Barry stories. But for anyone to say Wally is the "better" Flash, I say NAY!!!!!

Now I am not condemning Jeff for feeling the way he does towards Barry, hell, we all have our favorites, but when it comes to who is the better Flash, the obvious answer is Barry. All other opinions are wrong.
 Cheesy

Just kidding of course, we like who we like and I do understand the Wally love. He is a great character and had some great moments. But to me, Barry is forever THE Flash.
 Smiley

But I am sure there are some 70 year old readers who laugh at that notion and swear the ONLY Flash is Jay Garrick
 Cheesy Cheesy

It's all more what you're more comfortable with and have the most knowledge of basically, I feel. There is no wrong choice.
 Smiley
(Unless you hate Barry)
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »

I was a big fan of Wally in the Perez/Wolfman Teen Titan Kid Flash days and Crisis on Infinite Earths was my all time favorite event.  It was there that Wally became not only the Flash, but my Flash.  I loved Barry Allen  before that and thought he had one of the great comic book deaths.

But then, they brought him back and that's when I turned.  I can't connect with him anymore and think his return has only diminished the Wally West days.  It's not rational, I know, but I can't get past it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:05:38 PM »

It's not rational, I know, but I can't get past it.

Nope, it's absolutely rational  Smiley But as a huge fan of the W/P TT's as well, that is another reason why I prefer Barry ... I liked Wally as KID FLASH !!!!!

Face it, we comic fans just hate change, especially when they change the change.  Grin

EDIT - This is MY Wally

Smiley

(DAMN IT!!! That is a fine piece of costume/uniform there. Colors are perfect)

Smiley

EDIT 2 -
Also, I can't stand Impulse. Hate him. Now, is that because I am holding him up to Wally (Kid Flash/Impulse)? Honest question, because I don't really know why I don't like Impulse and can only think of the similar Barry/Wally comparison to Wally/Bart. Anyone else have an issue with him like that or is that just me?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:37:17 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »

I like both Barry and Wally. So I voted love him. But if I had to choose, I'd choose Wally as my favorite Flash.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 03:21:27 AM »

i actually have love for both wally and barry as well.  so I voted love.  I remember reading some barry allen flash stuff back in my way younger days (as a wee lad between the ages of 5 and 7 or Cool and early JL with barry.  I also got into hard core collecting right after wally's series made it's debut and I loved what mark waid and Geoff johns did with him (especially waid).

also since it hasn't been mentioned yet.....you all know that barry was the flash in Superfriends, right?   that HAS to count for, I don't know, like 98% of the vote. Grin 

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 05:01:28 AM »

Going with 'Hate him'

If I've been reading comics over 23 years (and I have :p), and I've NEVER read a comic about Barry Allen (besides his infamous death), then why would I clamor for his return? From all that read at the time, he was killed because they had turned the character into mush; wasn't interesting, no one was paying attention to him (this is what writers of the topic have said).

SINCE his return...well, he caused the New 52. F### him for that.

But seriously, since his return, Pre or New 52, what has he really added to make me go "YES, I WANT TO READ THIS." Nothing. And 'Flash:Rebirth'was one messing pile of crap with the worst comic gobbedy gook about time travel ramifications, up to and until Johns did it again in Flashpoint (all of which became second place to Lobdell's just finished Return to Krypton.)

Nope, hate Barry Allen. Has added NOTHING to his own legacy since his return.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »

If I've been reading comics over 23 years (and I have :p)

Youngin  Smiley

.... I've NEVER read a comic about Barry Allen (besides his infamous death),

Sounds like a well informed decision then  Roll Eyes

Wink Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »

Bah!!! and Feh!!!!

I only remotely even remember trying Coke II, but for all the people that did-and hated it!-there's no reason I should truly experience it just so I'm informed on whether it's good or not, should I?

Yup, just compared Barry Allen to Coke II. I don't care if he's the original, his flavor had been gone for nearly 30 years; I can't believe that anyone was truly, honestly, and wholly still wishing for him back.

Again, he brought the New 52. What a dick.

Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »

Bah!!! and Feh!!!!

Oh yeah, the classic response to being WRONG
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 06:21:26 PM »

Bah!!! and Feh!!!!

Oh yeah, the classic response to being WRONG
 Grin

However, the plot and voice direction of this movie sucks.

SUCKS....

Bah .......

Right now, people like myself, could give two shits about the Mutants because they are so watered down and omnipresent. Bah. They are not special.

It just makes no sense.

At all.

Other than to get more money from us 'older' buyers. Bah.

F-CK Amazing Spider-Man.

New costume for no reason. Bah.

I have them, and they are a hard read for me for one reason. One name.

Carmen Infantino.

I have always ... I have never been a fan of his work. He just kills any story for me. Books I know I would have enjoyed if a different artist was on the book (Dial H for H.E.R.O - Flash) just become unreadable.

His sharp ass noses.
His total lack of facial perspective.
His "up the nose" camera angles (which only Gil Kane can pull off well).
His stiff, angular bodies.

Bah.

Grin   If your going to make it easy for me........

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 07:09:16 PM »

Again, he brought the New 52. What a dick.

That is a good point and a good reason to hate him. Never thought of that.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 07:44:51 PM »

Grin   If your going to make it easy for me........

Hey, the "Bah" alone is a useful tool to show displeasure or apathy, but together Bah and Fey are classic old school Hero Realm tom-foolery. So much so that there was once a mug with that saying on it.
 Smiley
Jimmy knows this, I assure you.  Wink

And to anyone that thinks different ... Bah !!!!  Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 03:47:54 PM »

Oh Jeff, that was brilliant.  Grin

And oh yes, I certainly uphold the Bah and Feh mentality.

and since when does it mean being entirely wrong?  Tongue

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »

Just when it comes form you  Cheesy

I mean this ---

I've NEVER read a comic about Barry Allen (besides his infamous death)

No rationale to it, just that you hate.  

I mean, as much as Jeff is trying to slam me  Wink, at least I read what I had an opinion on.  Cheesy

Don't get me wrong, love that you are such a hater  Wink
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 05:53:06 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS