HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:06:08 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FANTASTIC FOUR  (Read 30020 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 29, 2013, 10:41:42 PM »

Coming in February....

Fantastic Four 1 (02/26)

(W) James Robinson (A/CA) Leonard Kirk 'THE FALL OF THE FANTASTIC FOUR' PART 1 The world's greatest comics magazine begins anew with Marvel's First Family, the Fantastic Four! But as the brilliant MR. FANTASTIC, the compassionate INVISIBLE WOMAN, the ever lovin' THING & the hot-headed HUMAN TORCH embark on a strange mission, they aren't met with new beginnings, but an untimely end! As the family of cosmic explorers head towards their darkest hour, who could possibly be behind their downfall? And how is one of their oldest enemies, the sadistic dragon known as Fing-Fang-Foom involved? Prepare for the fantastic!

Will Perry be able to resist?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:12:16 PM by Perry » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »

Yes, that is the question  Cheesy

Sadly, the answer is yes. Yes I will be able to resist.  Undecided

I feel I am resolved to just enjoying MY "first family of comics" in the "back issue bin" (used as a metaphor). I may further celebrate my love for the F4 by buying the new Marvel EPIC COLLECTIONS sets, SEEN HERE, (basically it is the Essentials, but with a little better paper stock and in color) starting with the first release, vol 17 (collecting issues from around 298 to the early 300's), but even that I am not sure about.

The reason, and another sad revelation for me, is that after the last few incarnations of the Four, it is painfully obvious they have just out-lived their days. The passion is just gone.

That is not a knock on the team. I mean, if you want some good, classic Marvel, you go back and read some 70's and early 80's F4. Aint nothing like it. Great stuff. But recently ... eh.

Of course, if this new title would have had an artist I truly enjoyed, I am not sure my will and ability to stay way would have been so devout and strong.
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:56:30 AM »

My Leonard Kirk enjoyment cells in my brain just sighed in a depressed manner due to your comments Perry. Sad

Loved the FF From Waid (skipped JMS; no loss), Millar was pretty solid, and Hickman took Millar's messy toys and built something really awesome out of it for me.

Who just wrote FF? Was it Fraction? Gawdawful. I couldn't get through 2 issues. This could bring me back. Depends on what Robinson shows up. (Recent Earth-2 Robinson? Or JLA Robinson?)

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »

My Leonard Kirk enjoyment cells in my brain just sighed in a depressed manner due to your comments Perry. Sad

My eyes offer their sincere apologies to your grey cells.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »

ALL NEW FANTASTIC FOUR Issue #1

First and foremost I must eat a little crow and tell Jimmy I was wrong. So, Jimmy, I was wrong. I really enjoyed Leonard Kirk's art in this issue. I was never a fan before, but his style looks more like Stuart Immonen in this issue than what I remember of his work prior, so yes, I enjoyed it.

Now that I have downed those feathers  Grin ...

I enjoyed this issue. After that less than enjoyable start of the Invaders, I was honestly scared going into this issue. But thankfully James pulled through. He brought us THE Fantastic Four. He brought the voice of the characters as well as the true tone of the team. Both aspects were sadly missing in the last run by Fraction, but I can say with glee that the FF is now back to where they are suppose to be and I am really intrigued by what this is heading to (we are pretty much told what will happen on page one, but getting there will be fun ... and that is something I wasn't sure of prior to reading)

However, I do have one complaint. It is not just on Robinson, as a lot of creators are now doing it, but this habit of using two pages for the freakin credits has just gotten out of hand. I am not sure if it was Bendis or Hickman that started it, or when I first noticed it, but it is bullshit. What pisses me off is that they (Marvel) include those two pages as part of the toal pages in the story. "22 pages of story". Well, no, its freakin 20 pages of story and a huge ass credit scene.
 Angry

I will add a picture here soon, as soon as my phone charges to show what the hell I mean, but I am sure you guys are aware of the practice.

Still, even with that crap  Grin I enjoyed this issue.

7 outta 10 - New uniforms

Oh ... and  ...  Cheesy

Yes, that is the question  Cheesy

Sadly, the answer is yes. Yes I will be able to resist.  Undecided

OOOps
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:40:18 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:26:56 PM »

As promised, though later than expected ...

This.
This shit is just getting out of hand.
I, nor anyone else, consider this two page of credits as "story" so Marvel, stop implying it is!!!
 Angry
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:41:41 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 01:37:25 AM »

I get it. They are trying to be cinematic.  I don't normally mind it but you are right that they shouldn't be selling those two pages as story.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 01:47:13 AM »

I get it. They are trying to be cinematic. 

Oh, you're spot on, but with all the other double-spread pages I could use a little less cinema on my paper.  Wink

Felt like there was only 30 comic panels in this entire book. That is not true, but it felt that way. It still averaged, with its 22 pages and 85 panels, a paltry 4 panels per page (3.9 actually). Not a lot of art work in that average. Big art, but not a lot.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »

But how else can you double ship a book each month? Wink

Not saying that's how FF will be...but...that's how other books have had it done.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 04:01:08 PM »

But how else can you double ship a book each month? Wink

Not saying that's how FF will be...but...that's how other books have had it done.

Well as I am sure you know, FF 4 and 5 are solicited for the same month.  Wink

I don't mind it as much as I use to (as I only get a few Marvel books now)  Cheesy

Besides, I understand the reasoning. Marvel use to publish about 100 books a month and the last 20 or so sold for tit, so instead of that, they decided to focus on less titles, but publish the same volume. Makes sense.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 04:55:15 PM »

I have to say that I also liked this issue. I'll likely add FF onto my pull for the foreseeable future.  It does kind of feel like the old Fantastic Four - especially with Ben wearing the old trench coat and hat and going to see Alicia.

I'm interested in seeing how things unfold to get us to the teasers we got at the beginning.  Good start to what appears to be a good run.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »

It does kind of feel like the old Fantastic Four - especially with Ben wearing the old trench coat and hat and going to see Alicia.

Exactly what I thought. I thought it felt like reading the great Roy Thomas, Rich Buckler (my favorite FF artist) and Joe Sinnott issues of the mid to late 70's. It just had that "feel" to it.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 08:20:54 PM »

Issue #3

Okay, it happened. Finally. A writer (one whom I never would have expected it to be ... for some reason) has finally made me feel like I am 12 again just by reading a Fantastic Four comic. Now I don't mean he made me re-live those feelings of being confused by body changes and going mad with testosterone influx  Grin I mean feeling like I'm 12 in the best way possible. The way I use to feel when I read the FF back then. Just loving comics.

This issue, to the non-Fantastic Four fan, is nothing spectacular, hardly anything great in here that they would notice at all in-fact, but there is something here that makes this such a time-traveling device for us FFFans that makes this issue so great. The dialog was spot on. The voice of each character was solid as a rock. The theme/plot was one that is very much like the plots when the cover price was 30¢ (or maybe 35¢ at the most). That last page reveal ... so damn perfect that it put a huge smile on my face. I remember this kind of comic. I remember when this comic, this title was like this. This comic, this issue, brings me back when it not only said "The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine" on the cover, but actually F'n meant it.

Again, I can't stress enough that there is nothing of great importance in this issue, I don't want you to rush out thinking this will be a comic that you can resell for a huge profit or anything (because it wont be)  Grin, but the greatness that resides in this issue is more important than any monetary value that could be placed on it. Yes, what is between these pages is a trip back in time, when the Fantastic Four were just that ... FANTASTIC!!!

9 outta 10 times looking for my first pubes  Cheesy Cheesy
EDIT - (Ummm, the book is better than that sounds aloud  Cheesy)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:23:57 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »

Issue #4

Another fun but nothing mind blowing issue.  Typical super hero team fight super villain team.  But it was fun nonetheless.  Guest stars Ant Man and She Hulk were fun to see.

But I have to say.  I just don't get Miss Thing.  Dumb name and she looks ridiculous.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 11:37:13 AM »

But I have to say.  I just don't get Miss Thing.  Dumb name and she looks ridiculous.

Have yet to read my issue ... as it isn't here yet  Grin, but I agree. It started as a fun homage to Ben's suit he used to wear back in the day of 25¢, and with Fraction writing, although it still didn't work for me, I could see that "funny" aspect to it. But now, it's time for her top go. I applaud James trying so hard to stay with continuity (as much so that he has even worked in some Cap and Namor angst in INVADERS due to what's going to happen in Original Sin), and even stating that he is trying to work in and follow up on what writers before him brought, but I would not miss her at all. Time for her to go or at least retire the suit and let her become just a regular character again.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS