HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 05:21:46 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SUPERMAN  (Read 39195 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »

Sounds like they are trying to match up with the upcoming movie.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 01:24:50 AM »

Well I have "officially" (not officially) dropped both Superman and Action Comics. I try and try but I just don't care about this guy. I was hoping a less powerful Superman would get me more into the story, but all it doea is piss me off to think about this new 24 hour period crap he is dealing with.

Much like the TV show Arrow, I gave it my all, tried to be in with everyone else (or Jimmy on this  Cheesy) but I just can't do it.

Picked Grayson and Midnighter back up to take the place of these titles and just added all 10 issues of Lobo to my reading order as well. Heck, with Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, Omega Men, Lobo, Midnighter, both GL books, Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow, all the Justice league books (still have to read JLA 3000, but have them all plus the 3001 issues), not to mention all the Bat'centric books I get, I think I can live without the solo Supes books.
 Cheesy

Still, I wanted to keep it.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 02:20:20 PM »

I've dropped 'Superman' as well. Still have Action because Greg Pak at least still writes the core of what the character is, whatever his power level is.

But I'm entirely done with this stupid T-shirt and pants. I hated it on Superboy, and I hate it now. Of course, the Imperial collar with emo girl thumb/sleeves I nearly hate as much too. What's a fan to do?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 05:56:02 PM »

I also decided to stop Batman-Superman once this arc by Pak is over, but I still have a "super" itch.
I still have all of the New Krypton/War on Superman ... that huge arc, but not looking for something that big right now. Was thinking about grabbing Superman For All Seasons (by Loeb and Sale).

You think that will suit me, Jimmy? I am not a fan of recent Leob stuff (is it Leob or Loeb?  Grin) but I did enjoy most of this teams early work (Batman: Halloween and Hulk: Gray for instance ... both I need to re-read) and even enjoyed the first arc or two on his Superman-Batman run. Do you think a non Super fan could enjoy that Seasons book? I like the premise of it, but not sure what Lo ... Le ... L _ _ b   Cheesy I would be getting

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 02:38:47 AM »

Hey, Jimmy, you miss this or have you not read it?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 12:21:15 PM »

Wow, Jimmy really doesn't want to answer my damn question!

Grin

I know it may be placed in the wrong thread, and perhaps he seen my name and the word "Superman" together and just shut his eyes to avoid another blasting of his favorite character, but damn ...

Cheesy

Well I'm not replying to any of his then  Tongue  Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »

I haven't been home, on my computer in 4 days either to answer. :p Wink

I actually have not read For All Seasons, but I remember reading of it, about it, and it was very, very well received and enjoyed at the time. This was Loeb before he was Marvel-Loeb, when everything he seemed to write had so many great sweet, poignant memorable moments that made you love the character just a bit more.

Why don't I have it? Just seemed to slip away from me for some reason!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 01:24:29 PM »

I haven't been home, on my computer in 4 days either to answer. :p Wink

But didn't you just post about Green Arrow?  Wink Grin

J'ACCUSE !!!!!

Cheesy Cheesy

But seriously ... okay, thanks, I may try and jump in then if I can get it at a fair price. With Captain America: White coming out (following the footsteps of Hulk: Gray and Spider-Man: Blue), it got me thinking about these two creators and how many times they teamed up and I came across this Superman mini and got curious.

Thanks
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 01:27:41 PM »

hee hee hee....

Now I'm wondering if I read it, then meant to reply later after some thought, but my Green Arrow post was 8:13 am, while your post was 11:56 am. Defended!  Cool lol

And my Final Crisis 'coming soon!' post was made on the tablet last night. And I hate 'typing' on that thing and wish to avoid it all costs, but man, does Grant Morrison has me pumped and made me want to express!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »

Yeah, just read, what was released-44, 43?

This Gene Yang, while having some comic/indie background, writes a poorly paced comic. It's nonsensical how Superman was revealed to Lois. It's absurd how Lois reveals Superman's secret. The beats of this book run from silly conversations that then just blast through the action of the book without consequence for considering how the events should have occurred. I find it a sophomoric attempt at writing a comic-styled story.

Add to that Romita's lump art. All the robots either look like 5 pieces of Lego's stuck together, or hordes and hordes of mindless ones. Apparently his style is more of an expression of what comic art can be, than expressing through art in a comic. Most panels are barely formed, poorly rendered, and empty alot of the time of details. I have come so far off the Romita train that it's simply not funny. One can see his progression from his loose stylings back on 'Peter Parker, Spider-man' to what it devolved in with his 'New Avengers' run, to now ...this look. I have, I think 2 more books on the pre-order, which I can't change now. But I am DONE with this.

DC, you can undo this with a continuity space punch, a Super-kryptonian kiss, a red sky-I don't care how. But end this dreck.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 02:47:39 AM »

#52 Spoilers

I feel absolutely nothing about this Superman dying. Not once I knew that *a*, or rather *my* Superman was still alive that I no longer cared about this one in the slightest. I'm just glad he's out of the picture so I can read the hero I hope to see again!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 02:34:35 PM »

As a story I was lost. Like Jimmy, I had no interest in this Superman. But unlike Jimmy, I rarely like ANY Superman so I am not the best to judge.

I do have (well, Dave has) all the issues to this arc (the 10 part "End of Superman" story that crossed over a few titles) that I will read ... someday, so I am hoping I at least feel a little something after reading it as the last part of an arc, instead of being a story I was asked to read before Rebirth #1.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS