HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 06:50:49 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any old farts remember "Star Blazers"?  (Read 4757 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 09, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »

When I was younger, I use to watch a show after school called Star Blazers. it was the U.S version of a japanese anime back when Japanese anime's were a rare commodity. Even still it use to come on right before "Battle of the Planets" (or G-Force). You guys remember those?

Well, being one that doesn't get into a lot of anime, though I have liked most of what I have tried, started watching the updated version of this show and I am loving it. It is a great sci-fi story. Much better now that I know what is going on (when I was younger I just remember really liking the sound of there guns  Grin) and the fact they ... modernized it to where you are not getting much of those Japanese anime sounds of crazy laughter and "huh?"s that use to permeate the ears.
 Grin

Anyway, if you want to check it out, click to THIS SITE and watch it. It is only one season, 26 episodes that are about 18 minutes long (if you by-pass the opening and closing songs) and are really good. Like most good sci-fi, it starts a little slow, but it grows into a really fun show.

Off now to try and find an updated version of Battle of the Planets. I know there use to be some comics out not long ago ... maybe they redid the show as well?
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »

Oh yeah I remember this!  I used to run home when the bus dropped me off to make sure I didn't miss it!  Loved both of those shows!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »

Yeah, at first it tickled the memory cells more than anything, but after 5 episodes I am really liking this puppy. Of course I also like/love subtitles more than I do dubbed stuff (I hate dubbed stuff, usually), but if you are the other way around, you guys may not like this as much.

But you should still try it  Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 02:24:12 AM »

fond childhood memories.  Loved StarBlazers, BotP & Speed Racer.  US cartoons were no match for those late 70 early 80 Japanese imports until GI Joe & Transformers hit the screen,

We also had a weekly series in the mid80s "Force5".  each day we had a different giant robot type show.
StarVengers, Spacekateers, Grandizer (my fav), GiKing & one other my ancient brain can no longer recall.  

fun stuff.  

5 toon was Vanguard Ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcY5OpBcnZE
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:01:11 PM by Wringer » Logged
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 05:42:27 PM »

Don't forget Voltron. That was great too.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 04:58:34 PM »

I bet Seth Rogan remakes this based on the "blazers" part alone.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 12:59:02 PM »

Don't forget Voltron. That was great too.

Are you watching the Netflix series?

I bet Seth Rogan remakes this based on the "blazers" part alone.

Ba-Dum-Tst
 Grin

Well now, while others may have spent their time reading comics over this past holiday week-end (and that is time well spent I say  Smiley Cool), I spent the time finishing up this series. Man, what damn fun. Really cool from start to finish with some nice surprises along the way. I think it may have been one or two episodes too long, but still, enjoyed it very much.

I now have the movie bookmarked and while I am not sure what time this movie is set in (after the series, during or before) I am going to take a little break and watch a couple more, shorter anime series first.

Starting with the anime "Another". I feel like some Japanese horror ... Japanese CARTOON horror at least.
 Cheesy
Only 13 episodes, s it shouldn't take me long ... I will let you know my thoughts.
 Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS