HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:47:01 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: so....blockbuster is shutting the doors  (Read 4403 times)
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« on: November 15, 2013, 04:19:26 AM »

my local BB is shutting the doors and they started liquidating today.  I got pre-viewed blu-rays of world war z, star trek into darkness, skyfall and pacific rim for $10 each.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:36:32 AM »

It's amazing how blockbuster was the one that started it all but then didn't change with the market.

Great deal on your blu rays though!  Big score with the Star Trek one.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 04:53:59 AM »

It's amazing how blockbuster was the one that started it all but then didn't change with the market.

That's actually what they're doing with this move. They're shutting down their brick & mortar stores because it's much cheaper and more appealing for them to focus on their streaming site and their Redbox-ish kiosks.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »

That's actually what they're doing with this move. They're shutting down their brick & mortar stores because it's much cheaper and more appealing for them to focus on their streaming site and their Redbox-ish kiosks.

Well, that's actually what they were forced into doing.  Wink They tried to stay relevant with store-fronts way past the time it was feasible to do so. The spent too much time with their lawyers and refusing Redbox the rights to certain movies (Universal movies I think) making them wait about a month to stock some DVD's, instead of rapidly jumping on the Redbox idea and shutting them down before they got too big.

Redbox was owned by Coinstar. Blockbuster would've easily stomped them into dust if they did it early enough. That would be like McDonald's going after McDowell's
 Cheesy

I won't even go into the cluster $#$* of how they screwed up with Netflix.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »

My Blockbuster closed a looooong time ago, actually. The only pure video store left in this Wisconsin city is Family Video (and same with the other city I work in, too). For actually physical places to rent, it's only there and the Redbox'es.

I did read the random article about their last rental movie, and the one comment that stood out to me is that the 'browsing the walls of the store and finding something' is really gone. I do occasionally miss that. However, I really don't watch movies that much anymore; I don't bother with Netflix, and unless I'm truly sorry to have missed it in theaters, I truly won't bother to find it for rental either.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »

I gave up on Netflix about a year ago as I just was not watching anything on it. However, now with that Spacey show, the Orange show and the four Marvel shows coming, I will be coming back, but closer to Summer time. No need to right now as I have plenty to read and watch as it is.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS