HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 08:00:06 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (Read 76507 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »

this is the way I see it.  I just turned 40 yesterday and have been wanting shows and movies like these since I was 5.  I will take them with the imperfections.

Grin I get the reasoning, but I can't promote this show the way it is, and that sucks for me. I want SHIELD to last and become a hit and I want to be one of the many, yelling to the world "Hey, look at this show! See, it's good right? And comics can be just as good, you should give them a try", but if it is going to be written worse than DOLLHOUSE was for the first 6 episodes, I can't earnestly try and send people to any of the multiple LCS' we have here, based on whats on this TV show. I can just as easily send them to Amazon to pick up the Silver-age collections of books with about the same level of intelligent writing.
 Undecided
Don't get me wrong, I love the Silver-Age for what is was ... but yes, purely for what it WAS.  Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 06:10:02 PM »

I'm with jedicow.

I'm not one that watches tv with high expectations anyhow....my bar for enjoying anything comic-related is set pretty low.

Good news is AOS had been picked up for a full season, so I'm optimistic that this show will hit its stride with better acting/storytelling....

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »

Last night's episode was the best yet. And you know that was a set-up for Graviton appearing in the future. It's showing promise!

HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »

I thought the special effects during the Coulson/Hall sequence were pretty terrific in how the gravity fields kept switching, and you couldn't tell which way was up!

And Skye in that wet, pink dress makes me forget of all the other shortcomings this episode had, that only Perry notices.... Grin Cheesy Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 08:30:52 PM »

And Skye in that wet, pink dress makes me forget of all the other shortcomings this episode had, that only Perry notices.... Grin Cheesy Grin

Cheesy
Oh, I'm not the only one. I like what one IMDB reviewer said -
"It's bland and it's boring. It has nothing that defines it as a new IP worth of sinking your teeth in."

EDIT - And, yes, that pink dress was another reason to get pissed. No way that should not have been a sheer dress. There was no see-through happening in that scene? Must have been a SHIELD bra. Yet another fallacy of this show.
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:34:03 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 08:49:21 PM »

EDIT - And, yes, that pink dress was another reason to get pissed. No way that should not have been a sheer dress. There was no see-through happening in that scene? Must have been a SHIELD bra. Yet another fallacy of this show.
 Cheesy

You're killin' me.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

It's like you're dissecting each scene as it happens.....hahaha

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »

While an ecletic group, I don't have a particular love of any character yet beyond the kick-assyness of the pilot. I don't care for the scientists, their portrayals, accents, or the over-used 'supercomputer programs that solve all things in nick of time' blargh.

They are definitely taking their time with character development, and that I think hurts the show most. I just view them as cyphers until the events take place.

But I'm still watching since this show is somewhat made for me. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »

Another lack luster episode that I am sure everyone else will love.
 Cheesy
(And that's fine)
 Smiley

So tell me though ...

The part where Fitz says "We are at least TEN years from having anything close to this technology (the eye tech)" and then, mere minutes after that was said, they had glasses made with that technology ... that didn't bother anyone? First of all, it's SHIELD, they are never THAT far behind any tech and secondly, a decade behind yet you can reverse engineer said tech in about an hour?
Cheesy

The wife calmed me down and said that maybe
they were talking about ten years from having the bio aspect of the eye working correctly, not just the tech, but the tech and the human element working in tandem. (Yeah ... She got me  Grin) Okay ... but still
Smiley

Was that girl anyone from the comics? The wife asked and I was stumped.
 Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »

This show is really starting to turn into one of those tie-in event comics that no one really reads. It is like trying to watch FEAR ITSELF: THE HOME FRONT or SECRET INVASION: FRONT LINE. Yes, it ties into the Marvel Universe, at least a particular element of it, but it has to stay so far out on the periphery that it can't really delve into any new subject matter, as it may inadvertently upset a plan or idea that is in the works for the big screen universe.

Just going through the motions of what a show set in the MU should be, with no true penalty if you miss an episode. That is not what I and from what I can tell, lots of other fans of the movies want.

You may still really like the show, and that is fine, nothing at all wrong with that (although I am not sure why Wink), but you can't like the way they are "tying it in" to the Marvel U as a whole. It is just nothing really there. Liking the show for being an action/spy show is understandable, I guess, but as a Marvel show ... well. I think the animation universe strives to reach further than this does. Though yes, I understand the freedom they have by the very nature of the style.

This show will do nothing but remain on the Extremis Formula, the Tesseract and/or Gamma radiation, until a new movie comes out and it feels safe enough to move another step... another baby step ... deeper into the universe it is suppose to be already so deep inside, and for that, I can't wait, but if it wasn't for the wife enjoying this show, I think my time with this show would be over.

Now, with all of that said, I am really, REALLY looking forward to next weeks episode to turn this cluster #*@$ around. From the previews, and only by the previews, it looks like it could be what this show needs. A step towards it's own direction and not just an ancillary show, following in the footsteps of the Marvel Movie Universe. I hope, I truly do, that this next episodes hold up to its potential.

Fingers crossed.
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »

All I can hope is that building on itself-continually, and throughout an entire season-will lead to some Whedon-esque awesomeness. But as of now; it's something on in the background as I'm writing, drawing, or working out.

I'm really holding on until they reveal Coulson is a LMD, and better than that, the first LMD that will eventually become the Vision. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 03:15:56 AM »

ok..is this show TOTALLY immersed in marvel lore?  no. 
should it be?  it would be nice, but I get why it's not right now.
am I happy to have a show based on a marvel property that is not written in a cheesy, condescending, not very intelligent manner over not having a show based on a marvel property?  you bet your cigar chomping, yancey street butt I am.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 11:56:37 AM »

am I happy to have a show based on a marvel property that is not written in a cheesy, condescending, not very intelligent manner over not having a show based on a marvel property?  you bet your cigar chomping, yancey street butt I am.

Grin
And you should enjoy what you enjoy.  Smiley
However, to not expect or desire things to be better is not a bad thing either. Many a property was "not good, but at least it is on" before it was canceled and then "not on because it was not good".
 Smiley

All a bad Marvel property does is make it harder for another Marvel property to make it. I would rather they fix this show's issues, to have a better reason to argue its continuance (and perhaps use it as an example of the consumer demand ... to make other shows) than to just except this show as is right now.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 01:57:34 AM »

Grin
And you should enjoy what you enjoy.  Smiley
However, to not expect or desire things to be better is not a bad thing either. Many a property was "not good, but at least it is on" before it was canceled and then "not on because it was not good".
 Smiley

All a bad Marvel property does is make it harder for another Marvel property to make it. I would rather they fix this show's issues, to have a better reason to argue its continuance (and perhaps use it as an example of the consumer demand ... to make other shows) than to just except this show as is right now.

damn you and your damnable logic, perry!   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 01:09:10 PM »

Grin

That "logic" is just me being anal.  Cheesy Bottom line, you should still enjoy the hell out of a show that makes you happy. That is the MOST important part.
 Cool

My issues are, often times, my own  Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »

Okay, while yes, the last show was once again about the damn aliens ... again ... but I have to say that the writing in this last episode was a lot better than prior episodes. The humor was witty, the emotion was well developed and the tension (as much as there could be) was elevated to a proper level.

Have to say that this was the best 'produced' episode yet. Enjoyed it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS