HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 08:04:59 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (Read 76508 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2015, 08:30:23 PM »

You're more up and down than I am, Jimmy  Cheesy

I hope you never have the same feeling you have for Arrow in this show, buddy  Wink Grin

But yeah, it's a different beast. Always has been. It is a show about espionage and secrets. Of course they are not just gonna roll out stuff all the time. There's gonna be a lot of "Shhh. Don't say anything" and "You'll have to trust me". But is that really that much different than what Arrow does? Or any show, really.

I can get if you don't like how the "You'll have to trust me" is presented, but the act itself, going slow and presenting things or talking about things on a "need to move the story forward" basis is always rather slow on serialized tv. Comics too.

Yes it would take 10 minutes for her mother to sit Skye down and explain the Inhumans stuff, but then fans like me wouldn't be frustrated.
 Grin

Honestly, my man, this very slow, formulaic flow of "network drama" is why Shield and Flash are the only shows I watch on network tv (other than half hour comedies). I just can't abide the action, or lack of, of stretching things out to 22 freaking episodes when 10, or even the British 8, would be perfectly fine. No, Perfectly Better

I can't stand Network tv. The only things I watch on Network tv is those comedies and the hero/comic stuff, and some of that (Arrow/Gotham ... and Constantine) is either too teen-age geared or too paint by network numbers for me to stomach. I have to watch Castle until the end, for the wife, but then it is JUST Flash and Shield, no other network drama !!!! (that I can think of)  Cheesy Cheesy

Cable does it right. FX and AMC wipe their ass with those NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC and CW/WGN shows  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

So, yeah, I went along way around to my ass just to say, I understand what you mean, but if you want comic book programming, sometimes you have to suffer.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2015, 08:36:23 PM »

Try Blacklist - it's really good and will likely match up to your standards.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2015, 08:44:42 PM »

I did.  Undecided Enjoyed the first two or three, then ... nope, Network script/blueprint rose up and ruined the damn thing. If you look at those shows like that, good Network tv shows and then look at ... say Justified, the show that just ended or the Americans (the best show on TV) there is just no comparison. Those two shows, alone, are better than anything on the "the Four Whores'man" programming. From story beat to flow to depth of character to direction to lighting to ... haha.

I have no issues with anyone enjoying those shows on the "big 4" (and as I learned on that new comedy Fresh Off the Boat the number 4 is bad luck because the Chinese word for "four" sounds just like the Chinese word for death  Grin... therefore logically network shows = death?  Cheesy) but my own personal snitty, snotty, shitty taste  Grin just prefers the more realistic (to me) cable shows.

EDIT - Was thinking back and I will say that there may have been shows on Network tv that I would have enjoyed. The first 4 years of House and all of West Wing are shows originally on network that I think I would have really liked. I seen them on Netflix and not having commercials to deal with does make a show better  Grin, plus being able to watch it on your own schedule also helps, even still, I think I would've liked those two. I think.
 Grin
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:06:49 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2015, 03:33:43 AM »

Yeah, West Wing is utterly fantastic. ESPECIALLY the first 4 seasons.

I think I'd like Blacklist purely for Mr. Spader. Definitely the main draw!!

I still enjoy a rewatch of Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Farscape. Scrubs, My Name is Earl, Community, and 30 Rock also round out series that I like to rewatch on dvd.

Onto this:

Honestly, my man, this very slow, formulaic flow of "network drama" is why Shield and Flash are the only shows I watch on network tv (other than half hour comedies). I just can't abide the action, or lack of, of stretching things out to 22 freaking episodes when 10, or even the British 8, would be perfectly fine. No, Perfectly Better

Darn tootin'. I've like the fact that some of the networks do try a limited series of a show. An 'event' they call it, but hey, at least fans know when it's done or how long it will last, so good for them! I watched 'Galavant' and loved it! Great stuff!!

As for Shield, yeah, it's comic books, so I "suffer" a bit. It's not that I suffer; I always learn more on the show, I see some stuff I like, but this season has veered so far right and left at times that I just don't know what direction it is going. I'm really hoping more agency missions and subterfuge brings this season to an awesome close; because those final 6 of season 1 were great!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »

I think I'd like Blacklist purely for Mr. Spader. Definitely the main draw!!

It sure was for me!! And he was/is fantastic in that role. It just got so "the F.B.I would never ... what ... Oh come on" that I had to bail.
 Grin
He was certainly the draw that got me there to try it however.

And I may have been a little over zealous on my statement. Not ALL Network dramas are terrible, it's just they are often times are.
 Grin

I still enjoy a rewatch of Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Farscape. Scrubs, My Name is Earl, Community, and 30 Rock also round out series that I like to rewatch on dvd.

I've tried Buffy about 5 times and while I know it's Whedon and I would eventually like it, I just can't get past episode 2. I even tried to start at season ... was it 4 or 5 that everyone claims is the best one?... and I still just can't get past it. Teen drama just ... I just can't do it. It is like watching Arrow. Just too much teen-like reactions and .... ugh.
 Angry

Cheesy

Obviously never tried Angel for the same reason (or fear of I should say) and Farscape I tried and watched for awhile, but I just have to be in a certain mood to watch that. Need to go back and finish as I think I only reached season 2 ... or 3

And Firefly? Well ... yeah ... one of the best shows ever on Network and what did they do to it?  Undecided Angry Another reason I hate Network tv

As for Shield, yeah, it's comic books, so I "suffer" a bit. It's not that I suffer; I always learn more on the show, I see some stuff I like, but this season has veered so far right and left at times that I just don't know what direction it is going. I'm really hoping more agency missions and subterfuge brings this season to an awesome close; because those final 6 of season 1 were great!!!

I can see your point and I totally agree about the last 6 of season one. We are almost at a point where we are going back to the early part of season one, but not quite THAT bad yet.
 Cheesy
Another issue Shield has it kinda has to wait things out. Like with the Avengers movie coming out, they have to stall around that so when it does drop, they can incorporate the plot of the true money making Marvel into their story-line. I remember I had to sit on Shield for two weeks prior to Cap Winter Soldier coming out as I didn't want spoilers. They worked up to that real well.

I am just pissed that the story they are really pushing now in Shield has been canceled/delayed for Marvel to get Spider-Man back into the Marvel Movie Universe. I know it was still a long way off, but this stuff is feeding the Inhumans name and elements and now ... ugh ...
 Undecided
Inhumans will be the next X-Men and now it is good that we have at least six Inhumans we can see on screen and not just on paper. And yes, I am counting Mack as one. Something is still there with him
 Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »

I did.  Undecided Enjoyed the first two or three, then ... nope, Network script/blueprint rose up and ruined the damn thing.

So by that reasoning you should not have continued to watch AoS and Jimmy and I should not read Saga?   Wink

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »

I did.  Undecided Enjoyed the first two or three, then ... nope, Network script/blueprint rose up and ruined the damn thing.

So by that reasoning you should not have continued to watch AoS and Jimmy and I should not read Saga?   Wink

Cheesy Cheesy

Well as for AoS, I did say "... if you want comic book programming, sometimes you have to suffer"  Tongue  Wink

And as for Saga, come on man, totally different medium  Wink That's like saying I didn't enjoy the Batman movie that had Clooney in it so I shouldn't read Batman.  Grin

But if you want to compare apples to oranges okay ...   ho's about this Grin ... I watched about two and a half hours of Blacklist before deciding I couldn't watch anymore. If you read Saga for two and a half hours and then decide you don't like then we will call it even. at about 5 minutes an issue (10 at the most) that should put you anywhere between issue #15 and issue #22.
 Grin

But you do bring in a great analogy - Network TV is like Marvel or DC. They have a product that sells, yet they can't go to far into uncharted territory or it will piss off their sponsors/buyers. They also have about too many damn hands in the creation process. Script re-writes are the norm and if a writer comes up with a great story-line for a show, but the big wigs at "the station" want to have a certain characters or events mingle in or swing by for a visit, they now suddenly have to write around that. And of course if a pilot/1st issue doesn't meet expectations, it is not long in the world. Marvel and DC are the ABC/FOX/NBC/CBS of the tv world

FX, AMC and the rest of the cable networks are like Vertigo. They are not handcuffed as much to the worries of the other networks, heck, most of the books/shows on this imprint/channels were originally turned down by the big two/big four to begin with. Why, because it was too risky. Too bold. Too real. So instead, they get a quarter of the readership/buyers but their stories are much beloved by fans. Still, they do have SOME sponsor concerns, so they can't go all balls out, but they can grab their junk to rearrange it if they need to.  Yeah, Justified issue #1 by Vertigo has a perfect ring to it.

Now, HBO, Showtime ... these puppies? These combine to form the Image network. Creations that have no sponsor limitations because their are no sponsors to piss off. As long as the readers like what they are seeing and the show is selling either by the floppy/weekly issues or by the collected trade/BluRay editions, that is all that matters. This is where creators can not only go balls out, they can show someone tonguing them as they are displayed.  Grin These are the networks for the creationists, the writers, the people that want total control of the product. It's not Network tV or Marvel comics, it's HBO!!!
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2015, 08:10:49 PM »

Cheesy Grin

What I was really trying to imply was that Blacklist really got good as you got through the season.  Little hints in each episode bring you to a much larger tapestry.  And Spader delivers with his character.  Is he really good or bad?  More like both!  Some real jaw-dropping moments in the season got me hooked.  I didn't watch it originally when it came on and binge watched the first season.  At one point I couldn't wait for the next episode and would watch 3 episodes in a row then at one point couldn't stop until I finished the season.

Not saying you have to watch it, just saying you might enjoy it if you get through more than 3 episodes.

Then again - that didn't work for you on Arrow so who knows.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »

I understand, but I just saw things that I didn't like, in way of dialog or happenstance (and no, I have no clue now what they were then) that made me realize the show has the same beats as other network shows. I gave it an honest try, but when things start to mount and I start rolling my eyes, finding that I am dreading watching the show, it is time to pass.

I did really, really want to like it, and even liked the gun and the boyfriend angle and the lack of trust and ... I liked it all, but there was also just they way stupid shit bothered me like some of the ways they portrayed the F.B.I. ... just, no, that is not how they do that.

I hate shows that skip over proper damn technique just to get you from point a to point b. That doesn't work for me. Find a better way to do it. I am real sensitive to police/law enforcement procedurals. There is a certain way they do it and it is a rare show that shows us, the viewing public the correct way. Scared we will learn too much?
 Grin

Its like Jimmy with the injury aspect of Daredevil, now imagine if the whole plot of the show was based on that type of thing. It would drive him crazy. It is the same with police/law enforcement with me. When I see cops acting downright stupid (Arrow ... sorry, Jimmy) or go totally off book (Blacklist) to try and make a show more interesting or give it twists, it just irks me.
 Grin
It just does.
 Undecided

Its like when a cop show is on and a detective walks up to a beat cop that is already on the scene and the detective, not a detective Sergeant or anything, starts giving the dress cop orders. In real life the dress blues cop would say "fuck you" because detectives do not out rank beat cops just because they are a detective. It is just a different aspect of the same job. Yet almost every damn network show will have that at least once. No, damn it, no.
 Cheesy
Yes there are rare occasions when ... never mind. haha. I know I go crazy about shit like this. It makes no sense

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2015, 09:27:50 PM »

LOL.  You must have really hated "24" then.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2015, 11:13:38 PM »

LOL.  You must have really hated "24" then.   Cheesy

Never even bothered.  Grin Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2015, 02:52:40 AM »

"I'm starting to wish I didn't eat that hot pocket earlier."

That ladies and gentlemen was television gold.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2015, 12:50:20 PM »

Its like Jimmy with the injury aspect of Daredevil, now imagine if the whole plot of the show was based on that type of thing. It would drive him crazy. It is the same with police/law enforcement with me. When I see cops acting downright stupid (Arrow ... sorry, Jimmy) or go totally off book (Blacklist) to try and make a show more interesting or give it twists, it just irks me.

Oh hells no; preach it! IT's why I had to quit 24 after season 4. There's only so much fake super computer stuff I can handle in a super gov't program show. Also, I am a HUGE fan of the proper cop procedural show-NYPD Blue, seasons 1-6 really show that best.

It's also why I hate Hate HATE every Hawaii 5-0 commercial I see, because that show is about sensationalized sexy VIOLENCE all the time. Hawaii had 7 gun deaths in 2010. 7! I think that Dano guy shoots that many people each week!

Also...I know Perry watches Castle with the wife...and I understand wife shows...and I liked Castle up to season 5...but man...3 detectives and a special liason on ONE case a week? Man, slow district! So nice to be able to put that much manpower to one criminal event. There must be NO other cases that need attention during that time. Cheesy

But yeah, Arrow is not good for cop procedural; Arrow and Flash are not good for computer-minded truth in operation, but hey, I know what I want out of those shows, so all good. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2015, 04:16:43 PM »

Also...I know Perry watches Castle with the wife...and I understand wife shows...and I liked Castle up to season 5...but man...3 detectives and a special liason on ONE case a week? Man, slow district! So nice to be able to put that much manpower to one criminal event. There must be NO other cases that need attention during that time. Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Exactly.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2015, 05:22:07 AM »

"I'm starting to wish I didn't eat that hot pocket earlier."

That ladies and gentlemen was television gold.

I like when Coulson gets to be candid. Smiley

I only watched the first 10 minutes of this ep so far, so I gotta get back to it again tomorrow.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS