HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:28:21 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The character for each artist  (Read 4978 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 14, 2013, 04:00:08 PM »

I came across a great image of Hulk drawn by Sal Buscema  (I think it was posted on Brian Bendis' Tumblr), and it got me thinking. What one character does some of your favorite artists draw the best? What is their perfect match.

I ask this because I am stuck for Perez. He is my second favorite comic artist of all time, and I just can't figure out what would be "his" character, because I enjoy them all. But that is not what I am going after.

I do think Hulk is Sal Buscema's by the way. Sal and Hulk are perfect for each other. The Hulk's mass is always correct under his pencils (big, but not too big) and the "Sal Growl" (that longer lower jaw) is a perfect look for the Hulk.

Trying to decide if my favorite artist, Big Daddy John Buscema, should be paired with the obvious Conan or Silver Surfer or even the less obvious, but equally perfect Loki. Then again, his Thor was perfection as well.

And Byrne ... well, as popular as his X-Men run was, I always thought he drew one character better than them all ..

His square jaw style was just perfect for Steve. Of course, Superman ... also a possible choice.

Anyway, you get the idea of what I am trying to do here, but I am really stuck on Perez. So who do you think is the best character for Perez? Starfire? Beast (Leaning to this one)? Ms. Marvel? Thing? Wonder Woman? Background and water? (No, not an option)
 Cheesy

And who are some of yours?

You like Kelly on Batman? (As crazy as that look is, I kinda dig it and I think Bat's fit his style the best. Remember this is not the character's best artist question. No, this is best artist's characters.)

Aquaman for Aparo or Batman? Just always loved the way Aparo made Arthur's hair blow  Cheesy

Shit, now I really want to get a list going for each artist and see how many character we can get. Gonna find me an artist master list now. Hahaha

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:54:05 AM »

i like this thread, alas....I will have difficulty coming up with one character for some of these guys.

so let's start with THOSE guys...

john byrne: captain America (I totally agree, perry) and wolverine.  jim lee is the only one who has come closest to the definitive wolverine for me.

neal adams: batman (duh) and green lantern.  what adams did with batman in the 70s is utterly fantastic. 

mike grell: green arrow.  I almost put him in neal adams' list, but I held yself in check.

George perez: I always liked his hulk and his thor.  his batman is fantasti as well.

jose luis Garcia lopez: superman and uh...superman.

jim lee: batman, wolverine, and the punisher

ron lim: I don't think anyone, not even buscema, has done a better silver surfer than ron lim.  I also really liked his Captain America as well.

john buscema: conan of course.  I also really really really dig his work on Thor.

dale keown: hulk.  hands down.  probably my favorite hulk artist of all time.

I am sure I will think of more later.

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:57:30 AM »

marshall rogers: batman batman batman!

alan davis:  batman

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:18:26 AM »

Part of me thinks 'character' first, then I want to find the artist, but that's not the thread!

I echo so many people here, so I'll try to add other artists and who only THEY should draw.

Jim Starlin-THANOS and ADAM WARLOCK
Frank Miller-Daredevil (but circa the years he was on Daredevil!)
Todd McFarlane-Spider-man (is there still a more recognizeable Spidey than his? Besides Romita Sr?)
MD Bright-Black Panther (his look of T'challa on Priest's run made the character his. Eaton copies that look in New Avengers, I feel. And Bright just made the book for me)
Phil Jimenez-Wonder Woman (although, the man he credits to his style, Perez, is almost the first one I think of too!)
Tony Harris-Starman!
Curt Swan, Dan Jurgens, Alex Ross-SUPERMAN
Jack Kirby-the Fantastic Four (or, just the ever revoltin' THING)
Bill Sienkiewicz-Moon Knight
Bob Layton -Iron Man (I know he's the inker, but anything he touches, you know it's him, and yes, his is the Shellhead I think of)
Kevin Maguire-Booster Gold/Blue Beetle (that's right, JLI!)
Carmine Infantino-The Flash

I like this thread!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »

Part of me thinks 'character' first, then I want to find the artist, but that's not the thread!

Yeah, wanted to switch it up  Grin

Jim Starlin-THANOS and ADAM WARLOCK
Kevin Maguire-Booster Gold/Blue Beetle

Come on, now ... now doubling  Wink

Frank Miller-Daredevil
Tony Harris-Starman!
Bill Sienkiewicz-Moon Knight
Carmine Infantino-The Flash

Think I may have to agree with everyone of these. (Though I think Infantino's C-3PO may have been better  Cheesy)

Todd McFarlane-Spider-man (is there still a more recognizeable Spidey than his? Besides Romita Sr?)

As easy a pick as mine may be, I am leaning towards his Spawn. His over the top cape art just resonates perfection on that character

john byrne: captain America (I totally agree, perry) and wolverine.
neal adams: batman (duh) and green lantern.
jim lee: batman, wolverine, and the punisher

And you too, mister  Smiley No easy way out. Only one ... come on ... you can do it  Grin

mike grell: green arrow.  I almost put him in neal adams' list, but I held yself in check.

Debating going his Warlord here, but Arrow ... hmmm ... maybe that one. (I guess no real difference  Cheesy)

George perez: I always liked his hulk and his thor.

Just so hard to choose one. Still can't decide.

ron lim: I don't think anyone, not even buscema, has done a better silver surfer than ron lim. 

Never been a fan of Lim's layouts, but looking back, his Surfer, character wise, was well done

john buscema: conan of course.  I also really really really dig his work on Thor.

Cool

dale keown: hulk.

For sure!!!!!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
G:The Last Man
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 04:37:29 AM »

Ghost Rider - Mark Texiera
Spider-Man - Todd McFarlane
Hulk - Dale Keown
Jim Lee - Batman
Punisher - Steve Dillon
Justice League of America - Alex Ross

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »

Justice League of America - Alex Ross

Grin Talk about breaking the one character rule  Cheesy

The Punisher for Steve Dillon is a good one.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 03:44:42 AM »

OooOO...forgot Texiera's GR!

Ed McGuinness-Bizarro. that one just cracks me up Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 03:45:54 AM »

JRjr=Spider-Man
Marshal Rogers=SilverSurfer
John Byrne=FF (does that count)
Bill Siekewicz=MoonKnight
Mark Bright=IronMan (almost went with Layton but his art is so stiff but his inks are superb and Saen Chen he help return IM to the MU)
Dale Keown=Hulk
John Buscema=Conan
Ron Garney=CapAmenrica
Mark Tex=Ghost Rider
Sal Buscema=ROM
Brent Anderson=NightCrawler
Paul Smith=Storm
Art Adams=Longshot
Rick Leonardi=Wolverine
Steve Dillon=Punisher
Jim Lee=Rogue
Walt Simonson=Thor
Jea Lee=Namor
Todd McFarlane=Venom
Sal Veluto=Black Panther
Frank Cho=Shanna
Neal Adam=BatMan
Alex Ross=Superman
Mike Grell=Green Arrow
Terry Dodson=WonderWoman
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »

Nice list. I disagree with only a couple, but that is what makes this fun as it makes me think.  Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »

Mike Grell I have to go with Warlord not Green Arrow.  That was HIS character.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:02:09 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS