HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:11:37 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3D Villains Month Checklist  (Read 36948 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »

How about during lunch?    Grin

Cheesy
Well sure!

CREEPER
First let me say, I thought the Creeper was a good guy?  I'm only vaguely familiar with the original but I'm not a big fan of this new one.  There were some interesting parts as we start out in Samurai times and there is an interesting link between Creeper and another character in the DCU (don't worry, not gonna spoil).  That's probably the only thing I really liked abut the book.  It looks like we're going to have a Bruce Banner/Hulk type relationship between Ryder and Creeper.  It has potential, I guess, but where I like Banner's Hulk, I'm not a fan of Ryder's Creeper.

Have to be honest. I am not a fan of Ann Nocenti. So when I saw her name attached to the first page, I was already dreading reading further. A couple pages in I remembered why I was not a fan of Ann Nocenti.
the Hell story alone was ... not well done (The Creeper befriended them and betrayed them? But, the narrator had just explained how he had stalked this demon for years and ... why did the narrator fall prey to being "befriended" exactly?)

And then,
a few pages later, the panels of this ... Creeper jumping on the pier, breaking into a coffin ... beside a guy standing there for no reason with just a flashlight in his hand ... hahah  and ...  hahaha, with perfect dialog like -
"LEAVE THOSE COFFINS ALONE, BUDDY. YOU CAN'T DO THAT! THAT'S JACK RYDER'S BODY. HE'S THE GUY FROM TV"
"YEAH? HOW'D HE DIE?"
"HE GOT SMASHED IN METROPOLIS. HE IS A BIG HERO! HE SAVED LIVES! STOP THAT!"
 Cheesy
 Cheesy
(Dear god, the dialog!!!!)

And then, after hitting the poor flashlight wielding guy, knocking him into the very same coffin he just took "the guy from tv's" body out of ... hahaha ... and the coffin slamming shut (was that suppose to lock the guy in? Did this Demon kill Mr. Flashlight? Who the hell knows?) This demon states -
"THIS RYDER CORPS SMELLS PICKLED. I'LL RIDE HIS CORPSE TO A BAR AND GET HIM DRUNK!"

HAHAHAHA
Oh sweet Jeebus!!!! The writing!!! It burns!!!!!

"OH HOW I HATE ORDER! HOW I HATE FAMILIES!"  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The ending? OH COME ON!!!!  The cameraman and the ... oh hell. Laughable.

The art - eh, not bad

I give this book a 2 out of 10 for the art, coloring and lettering alone. Not too bad considering the writing brought it down to a -5 to start.

But truthfully, I really have no idea what happened between the pier and the last page, just a blur of nonsense. This ranks right up there with that FOOLKILLER from Marvel's MAX line a few years back.
 Cheesy
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »

3      Batman and Robin #23.1 Two-Face #1
4      Batman: The Dark Knight #23.1 The Ventriloquist #1
5      Detective Comics #23.1 Poison Ivy #1

TWO-FACE
This is one of my favorite covers.  I like how the coin is coming right at you.  This story is more about how Two-Face is dealing with the new world than anything new in his background/origin.  Will he join the Society or save Gotham?  It's one of the more solid stories from the villains month but feels like more of a prelude to future events.  I'll give it a 3 out of 5 coins.

THE VENTRILOQUIST
Wow.  I expect a lot more from Gail Simone than this. How can you have any incarnation of the Ventriloquist without Scarface?  Even if I could get past that she lost me when the one guy is running in terror from the dummy but then stops and says, "Hey what's this box of letters?" and then actually stops fleeing for his life to open up and read some of the letters!  Roll Eyes
Very very disappointed with this one.

POISON IVY
Another one of my favorite 3D covers.  And the story and art are good on the inside.  I don't want to spoil so I'll just say you do learn some new things about her past.  This is definately an origin story and nothing more but a decent read and fun to look at.  4 out of 5 thorns from me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:07:46 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

Because of the release order and reading order, I know you are not going to get to the Scarecrow issue (DETECTIVE COMICS #23.3) for awhile, but I just want to say that I was sorta disappointed in the 3D Effect of this cover. It was still good, but upon seeing original layouts, I thought this issue was one of the ones that were going to "WOW" me. Again, it still looks good, and I can't pin-point why it doesn't hit me as strong as I suspected it would, but it just doesn't blow me over as much as some. Two-Face is still my fav I think ... so far.

TWO-FACE
This is one of my favorite covers.  I like how the coin is coming right at you.  This story is more about how Two-Face is dealing with the new world than anything new in his background/origin.  Will he join the Society or save Gotham?  It's one of the more solid stories from the villains month but feels like more of a prelude to future events.  I'll give it a 3 out of 5 coins.

Yes on the cover. I agree. Simplistic, but it just seems to work very well.

As for the inside, I found it to be much like a lunch trip to Subway Subs. An enjoyable romp with a sandwich that satisfies, but if you look, there is not a lot of meat
 Grin

I'm also not sure if Tomasi, who I think is one of the most under-appreciated writers at DC, really nailed the Two-Face, opposite speak he was going for on page one. He gets it correct with -
"I LOVE THIS CITY / I HATE THIS CITY"
and with -
"I HAVE SERVED (THIS CITY) / I HAVE MADE IT SUFFER"
but then he fails on the -
"I HATE HEARING IT LAUGH / I LOVE HEARING IT CRY" (Pssst, That is not really the opposite there, Tomasi  Grin)

Still, I like how it ties in, even slightly, to the Villain Event DC has going on ... that I can't remember the name of at this time.
 Cheesy

A typical, well done comic, with nothing that will hit you as great or as overly negative.
5 outta 10 COIN FLIPS
(Just slightly different than Jeff's "Coins"  Grin)

THE VENTRILOQUIST
Wow.  I expect a lot more from Gail Simone than this. How can you have any incarnation of the Ventriloquist without Scarface?  Even if I could get past that she lost me when the one guy is running in terror from the dummy but then stops and says, "Hey what's this box of letters?" and then actually stops fleeing for his life to open up and read some of the letters!  Roll Eyes
Very very disappointed with this one.

Why is this not BATGIRL #23.1? Why make things more confusing than you have to. This is the first comic (with many more to come) that really confuses the system, by not just having the villain represent the book associated with the villain. And also part of the reason why the orders got screwed in the first place. Did it sell that much better being a "DARK KNIGHT" title than it would've being a "BATGIRL" title? Can't see that, but ... whatever.
 Roll Eyes

You guys know I am kinda anal about character dialog and the proper use of it, and like Jeff described, this book fails in that VERY IMPORTANT department. Not as egregious as The CREEPER from a couple issues back, but bad non-the-less.

Art wise, this book looks like a Dynamite title. Generic back-ground work, generic character work and generic panel and layouts. Just booooring.

3 outta 10 OFFERS TO SIT ON MY LAP
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 10:48:49 PM »

8      Green Lantern #23.1 Relic #1
9      Justice League #23.1 Darkseid #1
12    Superman #23.1 Bizarro #1

RELIC
This must be a new villain in the Green Lantern world that I'm not familiar with.  This story was a good history lesson on Relic and I found it interesting.  I had no issues with this comic but like Two Face, its a setup for things to come.

DARKSEID
Excellent - the origin of Darkseid.  I liked this one.  I don't know if it syncs up with the old world or not but I liked this issue.

BIZZARO
Eh.  Not a fan of this issue.  I want the old Bizzaro with Bizzaro world.  I don't care how ridiculous it was.  A talented writer could take that world and update it for the current universe.  I don't want to spoil the issue for anyone but it's lame.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 03:50:48 AM »

Now, I've read Bizarro and Darkseid from these recent postings.

As far as earlier versions of Darkseid, well...I don't care about those. Here's where heresy comes in:

I don't give 2 flips about Kirby's Fourth World stories.

I've been reading comics for 26 years. And yes, I've gone back to read comics from before my time as well. But never the Fourth World, and also, that stuff was never around at any time for me to read.

In a general, unfounded statement, I'll say that the Fourth World and the New Gods mean nothing to current readers. So whatever they are doing with it now (as in Wonder woman which is utterly fantastic) then I'm all the more for it.

I even loved what Morrison did with them in Final Crisis, since all the stuff had long ago been lost to any sort of relevance.

On Bizarro....I just want a Bizarro. Yet, even I don't know which one I want. Goofy, offbeat Superman? Scared, misunderstood child-creature Frankenstein monster? Horribly wrong and murderous foe? I really don't know. Do I like the Luthor creation aspect? That's a loooong time thing in the comics, and I'm fine with that. Pure magical being? Not sure...probably not.

Although, I think I'm past the Bizarro planet.

Oh yeah! The Bizarro issue was good for the Luthor part, actually. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »

Coming in the next Previews -

VILLAINS MONTH 3-D MOTION COMPLETE SET
Written by VARIOUS
Art and 3-D Motion Covers by VARIOUS
RESOLICIT • On sale FEBRUARY 12 • FC, $199.99 US
DC’s red-hot 3-D motion covers are set to return in the new VILLAINS MONTH 3-D MOTION COMPLETE SET, now resolicited for February on-sale! This set will include second printings of all 52 Villains Month titles with 3-D motion covers plus the FOREVER EVIL #1 3-D Motion Cover Variant edition!
Retailers: This item is resolicited. All previous orders are cancelled.

Wonder if DCBS will sell this as a bundle still for $100 ?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 11:51:14 PM »

I'm assuming they are the same covers?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »

I would imagine. It is just the "resolicit" so I doubt anything new, other than including the 3D version of FOREVER EVIL with this pack to make up for screwing all the orders on the original order.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »

The Flash #23.1 Gorilla Grodd #1
Detective Comics #23.2 Harley Quinn #1

GORILLA GRODD
I liked this cover and the story wasn't bad.  My only complaint was the ubrupt ending.  The last page made no sense to me.  Seemed lie a whole lot of effort on Grodds part for nothing.

HARLEY QUINN
Also one of the better issues from villain month.  Another flashback issue giving us the villains origin.  I have an affinity for Harley so I maybe looking at this one through rose colored glasses but I didn't find anything I hated.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 07:54:54 PM »

Perry - did you quit reading?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »

No, Was going to try and wait until Dave brought me all the issues. So I could whip them out as you go. Still wanting him to get that Cyborg Superman issue, so I am trying to convince him to get them all.
 Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 03:32:38 AM »

I LOVE the Ocean Master 3-d cover. Like seriously, truly worth this month's enterprise for this cover!

And, as it turns out, my favorite issue of villain's month too.

Zod's issue was pretty good too. And, I've got the basis now for who 'this' Zod is.

Firstborn was also a fantastic cover! And, it was a naturally continuing story as well, not really interrupting the story either. Great issue. Great, great issue, but I expect no less from Azzarello on WW now.

Doomsday...was all frosting, but no cake. Doomsday is bad, was bad, and now we know where he's at. So, I guess there's  that. But again...just sugar, no filling.

And SOMEONE has gotta tell me who this new Reverse Flash is. I just...gotta know!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 10:01:02 PM »

21      Green Lantern #23.2 Mongul #1
22      Justice League #23.2 Lobo #1
14      Action Comics #23.2 General Zod #1
2      Batman #23.1 The Joker #1
16      Batman #23.2 The Riddler #1
49      Justice League #23.4 Secret Society of Super-Villians #1
15      Aquaman #23.1 Black Manta #1

MONGUL
Not what I expected and has nothing to do with the Forever Evil event since Mongul is out in space.  It does show how evil Mongul is as he gives an enemy admiral a tour of WarWorld.  I liked this comic in and of itself.

LOBO
My first thought was WTF?  since the Lobo in this comic looks nothing like the Lobo on the cover.  That finally gets explained but that answer only makes me think WTF?  I've never been a Lobo fan and altough this new incarnation is probably better, it didn't make me interested in the character.  Nice little twist at the end and it sets up for what could be a decent story.

ZOD
Good origin story for this General Zod.  Greg Pak does a good job on this story.  Gives you insight to why Zod is who he is and what brought him to the Phantom Zone.  I'd give this a thumbs up.

THE JOKER
OMG. This sucked.  If this is a prime example of Andy Kubert's writing, I"m glad I didn't buy the Damian mini.  The whole story revolves around the Joker taking in a baby gorilla and raising him as a son.  The premise is dumb, the dialog bad, and the ending is predictable.  This could be my first ever rating of Zero out of 5 chattering teeth.

THE RIDDLER
Nice 3D cover and one of the better ones.  The story itself is also decent which I should expect since its by Scott Snyder.  This ties into the current Zero Year story-line running in Snyder's Batman.  Since Riddler's origin is being handled in the Zero Year story this issue is more of a companion to that story and not an origin.  I liked it.

THE SECRET SOCIETY
3D cover didn't wow me on this one.  The origin story on the other hand, I liked.  I love parallel world stories and getting the origin of the secret society from Pennyworth is a fun ride.  4 out of 5 pieces of Talon.

BLACK MANTA
The 3D cover is one of the better ones with all of the blood in the air.  I'm glad I read Forever Evil #1 before this issue.  There is a lot of overlap between that issue and this one.  I found it an interesting companion and clearly Black Manta is going to play a bigger part in the overall story of Forever Evil.  I don't want to spoil it but I'd give it 4 Tridents out of 5.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:04:12 PM by Jeff » Logged

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »

Very happy with these. Great looking covers, and most of them had good origin stories for the villains.

Here's what I ended up getting:

-Action Comics #23.1 Cyborg Superman #1
-Action Comics #23.2 General Zod #1
-Action Comics #23.3 Lex Luthor #1
-Batman #23.1 The Joker #1
-Batman/Superman #3.1 Doomsday #1
-Earth-2 #15.2 Solomon Grundy #1
-The Flash #23.2 Reverse-Flash #1
-Green Lantern #23.1 Relic #1
-Green Lantern #23.2 Mongul #1
-Green Lantern #23.3 Black Hand #1
-Green Lantern #23.4 Sinestro #1
-Justice League #23.1 Darkseid #1
-Justice League #23.2 Lobo #1
-Justice League #23.4 Secret Society of Super-Villians #1
-Justice League of America #7.4 Black Adam #1
-Superman #23.2 Brainiac #1
-Superman #24.3 H’el #1

I wish I would have ordered the Two-Face, Bane, Ra's Al Ghul, and Deathstroke ones, too. Seeing how cool looking these were, now.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »

Damn it. I just put the books in order Jeff had them numbered, so I can read and reply on Jeff's posts accordingly, and he switches up the posting order.
 Angry

Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS