HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 02:02:58 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: THE FALSHPOINT PARADOX  (Read 7839 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 18, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »

Okay, full disclosure first. While I knew the basis of the series FLASHPOINT, and I knew, for the most part, all that had happened, I had never read the series prior to seeing this animated movie. I can't stress that enough as it may lead to me slightly misjudging this movie based on the source material. So please keep that in mind when I acknowledge that "the book may be better than the movie". Now, with that out of the way, let me say ... this is a fantastic animated movie.

From start to finish I was just enthralled in the events transpiring in front of me. Yes, it had a scary moment at the beginning. One of those moments where my eyes see something that irks the living hell out of me and I immediately curse the writers. It was a small thing, but again, you guys know how certain things can just ruin a show for me, so I was scared. Luckily, after that small ... misstep ... this movie was nothing short of spectacular.

As for that small thing that bothered me at the beginning? Not a real spoiler at all, but just in-case ...
When Barry and his mom are broken down on the side of the road, they are elated when they suddenly notice a gas station up ahead. No big deal, right? You would do the same. The problem was the way the scene was "shot", the gas station was just a few yards from the direction they had just traveled from ... not where they had yet to travel, no, but from where they came from. They had to have just passed it, even while the car was breaking down. This is the kind of easily solved shit that passes writers/directors/animators that should never get passed them. But anyway, no big deal, but had me worried.
Smiley

After that, this damn movie was a non-stop thrill ride of entertainment.

The animation may bother some people. It is an Asian style that I enjoy, not Manga'esque, but more of the "STARBLAZERS" style (sorry I can't remember that form). It really fits the tone, though still, some may not enjoy Barry's face at times. The art style leads to great use of shadows and dim lighting when the scene requires it, and that is the main reason I like it, and it is not distracting as the other, more manga style. Visually, this movie rocks. Action scenes are well done, explosions look explosive and characters pop into your eyeballs.

This movie does a great job of scraping the surface of some of the stories involved with Flashpoint, while not bogging the movie down. In fact, they do a wonderful job of including just enough of all the side events of Flashpoint to make them impelling and have you wanting to see more, but doesn't leave you feeling like you needed more.

The only true drawback for me was the voice acting of Cyborg. While the character was shown in the best light since New Teen Titans, the actor seemed to struggle with being natural. The flow was not there in his dialog and it was slightly distracting.

The other voice actors did their usual A+ job however and worked to pull you into this world.

DC has a great history of putting out good animated movies (and I only hope that one day Marvel will follow suit) and some have been better than others, but this, without pause from me, is easily the best animated movie they have done. This was as close to adult animated perfection as you can reach. This movie left me not only wanting this to be in my movie library ASAP, but also left me wanting to go back and buy the entire FLASHPOINT event as well as John's run on Flash. It is THAT DAMN GOOD.

If it was't for Cyborg's voice acting ...

9.5 outta 10 damn Vic Stones

BUY THIS DAMN THING !!!!!!
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »

AWESOME! I'll be seeing it 3 months from now when Netflix gets it, lol.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:41:33 PM »

AWESOME! I'll be seeing it 3 months from now when Netflix gets it, lol.

Yep - I went online and saved it in my Netflix Q too!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »

Shocked
Not even for this great price? Two disc Blu-ray only 13¢ more than the DVD??
I'm all over this puppy.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 03:50:51 AM »

How did you get it b4 July 30?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 04:06:17 AM »

OK!  Happy now??? 

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 01:06:48 PM »

How did you get it b4 July 30?

Connections.  Wink

(Sending PM)

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:35 PM »

OK!  Happy now??? 

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

Well, you will be.
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »

I'm sure I will be too.  I'm looking forward to watching.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »

I watched this on Sunday.  GREAT movie!  Makes me want to run out and buy the Flashpoint trades.

This is te kind of stuff DC should be putting out each month.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »

I watched this on Sunday.  GREAT movie!  Makes me want to run out and buy the Flashpoint trades.

This is te kind of stuff DC should be putting out each month.

Well, it was. Then, they went all Nu52 and well...still hasn't been the same since.

That said, for the Flashpoint trades, Batman, Emperor Aquaman, and Wonder Woman were all really great series! Seriously, although Azzarello only had 3 months for the Batman mini, that may have been one of the hardest hitting minis to come out!

And yeah, I'm glad to finally see a Flash dvd come out. Could have gone for a Rogue's War one before this, but I'll still take this!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS