HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:44:52 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Poll
Question: Love him or Hate him?
Love Him!
Hate Him!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comic Book Character - Love 'em or Hate 'em? - The Thing  (Read 3030 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 26, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »

Love 'em or Hate 'em?

I thought I'd start a new discussion thread on our comic universes and find out what the realmer's think about the different characters we've seen over the years.

For the first week we're spolighting The Thing.  Do you love him or hate him?  What was the first comic you ever read about our boy from Yancy street?  Is he tougher than the Hulk?

Let us know why you love him or why you hate him!

For me, I first came across Benjamin Grimm way back in the early '80s  when I started shifting from my DC Comics childhood to my Marvel teens.  I had of course seen him on the Fantastic Four cartoon (complete with H.E.R.B.I.E) but really got into the character during John Byrne's run on the Fantastic Four.  As most of you know, I am a huge Uncanny X-Men fan and was sucked into that series also during Byrne's run.  So when he went to the FF I had to check it out.  I'm amazed how over the years someone who looks so monstrous can be the most human.  Although I can't think of one stand out story at the moment, over the years he has really been the heart and soul of the FF even though he's the only one not related.

Count me in the LOVE HIM camp!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:18:02 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:09:52 PM »

Who would hate The Thing?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 01:41:08 PM »

Great idea, Jeff.
 Smiley

Who would hate The Thing?

I know many people that are not a fan of a certain Benjamin Grimm. I am not one of them, however.

We are talking about one of the four fantastic  Wink heroes that got me into comics. I remember being super stoked when MARVEL FEATURE 11 came out on my 7-11 spinner rack (well as stoked as a 8 or 9 year old could be  Cheesy). I always thought that was a single issue, as I could never find issue #12, but then one day at the same 7-11, I saw MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #5 ... or #6 (I can't remember now) and I was sooo pissed. I missed the first few issues of one of my favorite characters? AARRRGGHHHH

I happily soaked up the other issues as they came out and eventually it led me to start buying MARVEL TEAM-UP (yes, I was a 2-in-1 fan before a Team-Up fan, even though TU had been out for years prior).

Ben Grim was as close to being my favorite character in my youth as any character could have been, and he remained so for most of teen years up until my late-teen years in his solo series ... soon after Bryne left (even though I have never like the way Byrne drew The Thing). I am not sure if the writing that followed on that series pushed me away from the character or if by then I had just started to wain on the character, but he fell from my top 5 shortly after that. Even in the F4 at that time (if I remember) he wasn't as involved or didn't feel as much part of the 'family' as years past, so that only helped the slide.

Still, the young fan in me shall never forget the impact he had on me early in my comic experience, and even though even more characters have now past him on my "favorite list", he will always be a special character to me. FANTASTIC FOUR and MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE were always comics I had to buy, when I only had a few cents, and he was the reason for that.

Long live the blue-eyed Benji !!!!

EDIT - Just noticed you actually had another question in your post, Jeff  Cheesy, sorry about that.

Yes, Ben is tougher than the Hulk. Tougher ... but not stronger. I do honestly remember being pissed when I was younger knowing the Hulk was "stronger". I wanted my Ben to be the strong guy, but when compared to Hulk ... just wasn't possible. However, it would be years later when I finally realized that he was indeed tougher than the Hulk.

This was proven to me back when Ben had to box that Champion guy ... I think that was his name. That dude was killing him but Ben never gave up, his will was strong. He was tough. (Was it the Champion ? and was that in the THING series or ... )

And my favorite Thing story ... I think ... was the MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE Serpent Crown Affair arc. leaving to find pics
 Cheesy

And to top that off, I had forgotten that Perez drew this (and a few great issue prior to these.  Cool

Damn, going to have to start my 2-in-1 collection all over again now. Gotta do it. Thanks, Jeff (I mean that both heartfelt and sarcastically)
 Grin
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:03:55 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »

how could anyone hate the Thing?  I love the Thing.  the first book I bought with him was a random issue of marvel 2 in 1 (i'm not sure which issue, but it may have been the one with stingray posted above.) 

is he tougher than the Hulk?  physically?  no.  mentally, hell yeah!  the hulk gets stronger the madder he gets but the Thing has persevered through his "condition" much better than I think bruce/hulk did.

The Thing Rules!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS