HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 05:56:41 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: the lone ranger  (Read 23488 times)
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« on: July 06, 2013, 02:49:04 AM »

is anyone daring to see this?

being THE guy who actually likes the 1981 lone ranger film....and being a fan of the ranger period...I will dare.  there are 3 movies that I vividly recall my parents taking me to when I was a little kid.  star wars, superman and the lone ranger.  have been a fan ever since.  I hope I won't be let down, but I don't have high hopes.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 08:10:37 AM »

Of course I wasn't hitting the theater for it, but I was looking forward to seeing it once it hit disc, but the reviews are scathing.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »

I know.  the reviewer in the local paper gave it a 0 out of 4 stars.  youch.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 02:07:24 PM »

I know.  the reviewer in the local paper gave it a 0 out of 4 stars.  youch.

Cheesy
Well ... so nothing negative?  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 02:56:19 AM »

i keep meaning to post my review but not having the time.  I took my 9 year old daughter to see it last weekend and while it wasn't great and it wasn't the lone ranger film I would like to see...it wasn't that bad either.  if you can get past the fact that it's not the classic lone ranger and that it is played as a comedy more than a straight forward western, it is actually kinda entertaining.  which is really weird for me since I am a purist of highly distinguished taste. 

spoilers for those who needs to know....

the lone ranger is played a bumbling, naïve cowpoke who gets pointed in the right direction by tonto.  when tonto finds the LR almost dead in the desert, silver comes to reawaken a lost soul (i'll get to that in a moment) and tonto keeps trying to get him to awaken the LR's brother; after tonto keeps calling the LR "kemosabe" for some time, he finally asks tonto what it means, and he tells him it means "wrong brother".  his first shot with a silver bullet ricochets off everything and finally finds it's mark. 

now....silver is not really a horse, but more of the embodiment of a native American spirit and he does things that a normal horse just couldn't do.  in one scene, LR and tonto are in a burning barn and looking for a way out, tonto looks to the roof and there is a skylight with silver looking down at them.  no explanation how he got there.  in another scene, they are washed downstream into rapids and silver is ahead of them standing on the branch of a tree over the river with a rope in his mouth to save them. 

I would recommend seeing the film, but not rushing out to the theater to see it.  the really bad thing about the film is that no one will touch the lone ranger as a film property for probably the rest of my life and I really want to see it done right.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS