HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:15:14 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Forever Evil  (Read 11540 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 02, 2013, 06:53:23 PM »

Coming in September!  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested.

FOREVER EVIL 1 (09/04)

(W) Geoff Johns (A/CA) David Finch, Richard Friend

The first universe-wide event of The New 52 begins as FOREVER EVIL launches! The Justice League is DEAD! And the villains shall INHERIT the Earth! An epic tale of the world's greatest super-villains starts here!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »

Just another gimmick, which DC seems to love lately. And they just did this particular gimmick a few years back with New Year's Evil.

sinisteri
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 05:07:51 AM »

Hmmmm

There could be a story here. One that is strong and memorable.

I am between sarcasm and hopeful. One more than the other.

A man is the sum of his memories,
A Time Lord even moreso.
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »

So, what did everyone think of the opening week of this event?

First of all, those 3-D covers look amazing. I know gimmick covers are like the bane of the comic collecting community, but I've always liked them. And these particular covers just look beautiful. And a pic, unfortunately, doesn't do them justice, you need to see them in person to see the eye-popping effect.

As for the issues themselves, well the origin issues are cool. It's nice to see definitive origins for these characters in the New 52 universe. And I like how most of them aren't evil just for the sake of being evil, they have some motivating factor to them.

But, the main title, Forever Evil #1, was a bit disappointing, IMO. The fight scenes between the Crime Syndicate and the Justice League were just PATHETIC. These should have been drag-down, knock fights that were full of fantastic super-hero action. I mean we're talking about the Justice League, comics' most powerful super-team, fighting their evil counterparts which are JUST AS powerful.

And then the villains just take-over the world, just like that? Just because the Justice League is down? What about the other 100 or so heroes inhabiting the DC Universe? Teen Titans? Outsiders? Justice League Dark and America? Task Force X? Hopefully this will be addressed as the series goes on.

Your thoughts?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:16:16 PM »

I haven't seen the covers yet but I'm starting to wish I had pre-ordered all of them.  Sounds cool!

I haven't read issue 1 yet but I will be back once I do.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 06:45:45 PM »

#1 was rather standard fare of Johns laying out his groundwork of where things will start, but not necessarily how they'll get there.

Luthor's moments REALLY shined. DC needs that character to be strong.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »

Yes, I giggled at the ease of which tube "B-Zero" name fully renders the character name.  Cheesy

However...I am quickly falling out of love with Hitch's art. Many faces become gross boxy caricatures of human anatomy, and 4 extra overly detailed and rendered forearm muscles per person will not help resolve how garish your art is becoming, Mr. Finch.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »

Forever Evil #3 Spoilers
Love how Johns is reversing the super powered Captain Cold to make him like the old gun loving Snart that he was! I actually hope that Deathstorm does that for all the Rogues then as well. And, I hope to see more of Ultraman. The Justice League issue with him was great to read.

by the by, I haven't checked old inkers for Finch's art, but man, his faces look like utter crap. Like, it's hard to look at. I don't view Finch's work here as "Oh yeah! Great artist for this mini!"

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:23:30 PM »

Just read issue #1 of this series and I am left amazed at how poorly it was written. I loved Johns' Flash and his GL and while his his JL left me cold and I dropped it after 4 or 5 issues, this is way worse than that series was for me and borders on unreadable.

Disjointed pacing, unlikely scenarios filled with crap dialog and a scene so stupid ... moving what they moved ... that I just rolled my eyes at this entire issue.

Still have issues 2 and 3 to get through, maybe but I think I will have better luck with Tomasi's FOREVER EVIL: ARKHAM WAR than I had with this. 

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »

Forever Evil #3 Spoilers
Love how Johns is reversing the super powered Captain Cold to make him like the old gun loving Snart that he was! I actually hope that Deathstorm does that for all the Rogues then as well. And, I hope to see more of Ultraman. The Justice League issue with him was great to read.

by the by, I haven't checked old inkers for Finch's art, but man, his faces look like utter crap. Like, it's hard to look at. I don't view Finch's work here as "Oh yeah! Great artist for this mini!"

Finch has never been a high mark for me, and it seems as though he is getting worse, or I should say I am growing further away from enjoying his style.

That said, this issue, issue #3 was tons better. Even though I am only reading this series, and not the JL side of things, it read more like a cohesive story than the first issue (or two). Loved the Bizarro moment with the flower and also liked what you hid in your spoiler, Jimmy.

Yes, a much better issue, Finch aside.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »

RE: ARKHAM WAR -

Ugh, damn Johns. I just started FOREVER EVIL ARKHAM WAR, and the first thing that is mentioned is the fact that the moon is blocking the sun ... still.

Are there no writers that have the balls to tell Geoff Johns that the moon's orbit does not follow the suns arc? Are we really suppose to buy into this eclipse that last for days on end? Has Johns never seen an eclipse? I know we are talking about a comic that has people flying and moving at the speed of light, things that are also not going to happen, but this is the kind of crap writing that just gets me fired up. How in the hell can ... I mean ... COME ON!!!!

Tomasi, I respect you and like your writing, but stop enabling this kind of total disregard to the most basic of physics.

Now if I missed where Ultraman has someone at the moon consistently adjusting the Moon's orbit to coincide with the Earth's orbit around the Sun, than I will gladly sit back down and enjoy the hell out of this, but that better be the case

Angry
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:13:27 PM by Perry » Logged

EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »

The artwork isn't the big complaint for me, here. It's the story. It's boring, drawn out, and forgettable. This should just be a simple JLA vs. CSA story, and not a huge event.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 09:04:45 PM »

The artwork isn't the big complaint for me, here. It's the story. It's boring, drawn out, and forgettable. This should just be a simple JLA vs. CSA story, and not a huge event.
Testify.

Although, I'm enjoying it some, at least in the Justice League titles. AND they've mostly left all the solo titles alone for this event, which I'm VERY grateful!

Jimmy T since 2001
EmeraldWarrior420
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 07:06:54 AM »

***SPOILERS AHEAD****

So Sinestro shows up on the final page of the latest issue. Awesome, I'm a huge GL fan and Sinestro is just a freaking bad-ass and knows it. And even cooler, it looks like he's still bonded to the Parallax entity.

But what I don't understand is what the heck he's doing on Earth. Why does he care at all that the Crime Syndicate is taking over Earth? There's nothing there to connect him to Earth. You may be thinking, "Maybe he's looking for some payback on Hal Jordan again." Maybe, but he wouldn't be on Earth to do that. Hal Jordan is in space, leading the GL Corps after The Guardians were killed by Sinestro. And Sinestro knows that, because he was there when it all went down.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »

OoOoOooOoo....good dummy catch! I hadn't even bothered to think why he's there!

Talking with friends, I think that the mega event has swung around the middle too much.

One; there's the event that encapsulates the entire comic line (unnecessarily) because none of the side books do anything to enhance the main event title. I look to early stuff like Infinite Crisis, Civil War, etc.

Now; there's the event that is being slowly doled out and told in the outer titles and seem to be needed. Look at Forever Evil; if we only see what's gone on in four issues...NOTHING has happened. Luthor has been talking to 3 B listers for 3 issues, and the CSA has been doing minor talking with each other, and the JL was taken apart off panel (which, that may have not even been the CSA's doing).

However, the smaller parts being told in JL and JLA help to fill in more details to make it more interesting.

So! I think both even tellings are extremes, and would rather have something closer to the middle.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS