HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:54:59 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Legendary Artist CARMINE INFANTINO Dead at 87  (Read 5107 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: April 04, 2013, 11:58:20 PM »

Legendary comic book artist and editor Carmine Infantino has passed away at age 87, according to colleagues George Pérez and Arlen Schumer.

In a Facebook message, Pérez wrote Thursday afternoon, "So sad to learn of the passing of another comic book legend. Carmine Infantino was one of the great influential artists in the history of the medium and I will always look upon his Adam Strange, Flash and Space Museum stories as wondrous examples of fantasy made even more magical at the hands of a master. RIP, Carmine."

Infantino's comic book career started when he was a teenager, as an inker for USA Comics. Likely best known for his work on The Flash, Infantino illustrated the character's adventures in various intervals from 1947 to 1985. The debut of Barry Allen in 1956's Showcase #4, written by Bob Kanigher and illustrated by Infantino and Joe Kubert, is generally considered the official start of the Silver Age of comics. The Flash #123, "Flash of Two Worlds," was illustrated by Infantino and introduced Earth-Two, an enduring DC concept still in use.

At DC, Infantino served in a number of managerial positions, including art director starting in 1966, editorial director in 1967 and, from 1971 to 1976, publisher. During Infantino's leadership period, DC hired influential creators including Jack Kirby, Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil; and published first-ever Marvel/DC crossover Superman vs. Spider-Man. Infantino was also involved in the development of Superman: The Movie.

His co-creations at DC Comics include Barry Allen, Barbara Gordon, Wally West, Deadman, Elongated Man, The Human Target (Christopher Chance); and Flash villains Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard, Reverse Flash, Captain Boomerang and many more. Infantino illustrated a number of Marvel series in the 1970s, such as Spider-Woman, Ms. Marvel, Nova, Star Wars, and a portion of the iconic "Demon in a Bottle" Iron Man storyline.

Returning to The Flash in the 1980s, Infantino illustrated the series until that volume of the series ended in the midst of Crisis on Infinite Earths. In 2004, Infantino sued DC for the rights of several characters he created, which was later settled. Though retired, Infantino continued to appear at comic book conventions in recent years.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:13:26 AM »

Never liked his art and he is the reason I never got into Flash and why I stayed away from Marvel's STAR WARS when he jumped on. Having said that, I can appreciate all he did and how important he was, not to just the Flash and his rouges, but to many other, very important characters.

RIP

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »

Yes, I didn't like what he did on Flash and I was a regular reader at the time.  But he was a big part of that series during some great story times.  RIP Carmine.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS